Big Brother Day 2004 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Brother Day 2004

juro
07-06-2004, 02:04 PM
OK - it's official, we will do this annual event on July 17th, Saturday, at the Monomoy Wildlife Refuge as usual.

Same plans as usual, with lunch at the HQ, graduation ceremony for the kids, then they will do a tour with the refuge staff while we hold a gentlemans tournament in the afternoon. Every participant puts a fly in the prize flybox and the one who gets the best fish of the afternoon gets the prize box.

We'll start over at South Beach as usual, each pair will need a Forum mentor, we will use fly and spin where it makes sense.

Please let's have a show of hands of people who can commit to doing this important event for the kids...

I will begin... in as always, in memory of my dad.

Dave17
07-06-2004, 11:26 PM
I'll be there

Nick
07-07-2004, 06:55 AM
Juro,
Unfortunately I will not be able to attend that weekend. I am very upset to miss this great event this year. I am still willing to help out prior to the weekend, and as always, I can get the plastic boxes if necessary.

Nick

Hawkeye
07-07-2004, 07:22 AM
I am in. Couldn't imagine missing it. I just hope my bros get a fish this year!

juro
07-07-2004, 07:37 AM
Here is the previous thread... please confirm in this thread if you can commit to participation.

thanks!

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=15520

juro
07-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Juro,
Unfortunately I will not be able to attend that weekend. I am very upset to miss this great event this year. I am still willing to help out prior to the weekend, and as always, I can get the plastic boxes if necessary.

Nick

I forgot to tell you the 'hippie chicks' asked for you by name... the GQ flyboy! :lildevl:

Sorry to hear you can't make it. We'll take you up on the boxes, they are the graduation gift to the boys.

Thanks

http://www.mukaidesign.com/images/congrats.jpg

Nick
07-07-2004, 08:54 AM
I can get the boxes, no problem. As for my modeling contract, I'll have to confer with my agent :whoa: :Eyecrazy:

juro
07-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Bumpin this up! We need to get a final mentor headcount to Heather.

striblue
07-09-2004, 12:09 PM
I am in... I would like to do a fly box for my guy...but don't want the others left out... I could come up with flies and if all the guys come up with a few... we could do boxes for all of them...just a suggestion.

Hawkeye
07-09-2004, 05:22 PM
My brother is in as well.

juro
07-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Heather has informed us that she currently has 18 matches and expects 20-25 pairs as usual. Keep those volunteers coming!

juro
07-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Anyone else? Should I assume those who signed up on the previous post are IN or OUT?

July 17th is next Saturday.

striblue
07-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Juro... I am now on the fence... Bruce at fishing the Cape Asked if I could sub as an instructor starting Friday morning and it runs to Sunday afternoon for the regular fly school. I will double check on the timing on Saturday since it may not need to be a full day on Saturday...I will get back to you.

juro
07-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Frankly, I am a little shocked at the response or lack thereof. I would've thought we wouldn't be too busy to take a day for the kids. This is much more important than fishing, it's more important than the forum. If we don't get a quota today and/or tomorrow I will have to make a decision and some serious soul searching.

Adrian
07-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Sorry, I was in for the original date.

As you say, there are more important things than fishing and my wife falls into that category.

juro
07-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Sorry, I was in for the original date.

As you say, there are more important things than fishing and my wife falls into that category.

Absolutely, family comes first always.

striblue
07-12-2004, 09:21 AM
Like I said... I will plan on being there ... I an fairly sure will be able to get out of the Saturday... school thing... they can use me on Friday and Sunday... I was just being fair by giving a heads up. Let me work it out....

striblue
07-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Also... I will check with my two sons...who were at the event two years ago.

juro
07-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I certainly wasn't directing my comment at you mayor. My daughter will be participating again this year.

striblue
07-12-2004, 10:22 AM
No..I know you were not... I feel the BB is Important too...What are the numbers we have right now.... can we break the groups down in a larger quota... I feel that the kids WILL have their BB's there as well and even with a smaller group of Forum participants.... we can break the groups down in larger groups... The kids WILL be getting that time they need with the BB's...so our role is simple as Guide... they would walk off and do any number of things not necessarily with us individually......It is us that is bringing them there... our demonstrations are group things anyway.... lets look at it differently and not necessarily dependent on exact numbers...any thoughts..

juro
07-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Flyfishing will be out of the equation without enough people on hand. We will have to throw sand eels and sluggos on the surf side perhaps.

Not enough gear. I might have to contact area stores to see if they will chip in some loaner rods (?)

Dave17
07-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Juro here is a list of my rods, tell me what you think we'll need and I'll bring them:

1 8/9 weight
2 9 weights
1 10 weight
1 9' spinning rig setup fairly light for steelhead

The only catch is that I have two quality reels, one junker that basically holds line and a spinning reel so not all the rods are complete outfits. I have plenty of flies but no terminal gear for the spinning rod. It's all available so let me know what we'll need and I'll pack it.

Do you think putting a quick post on the striper board would help with sign ups? Those threads get a lot more traffic over there. Just a thought.

Dave

striblue
07-12-2004, 02:59 PM
I was not there last year...but I must realisticlly say thet even though it is a good idea to bring fly rods... a spinning rod is far more practical for such young kids. One fly rod from the FFF person can be all that is needed to "show" and give the child "some " experience...but far to hard to use all day for a child....or to keep interest....Just my opinion.

juro
07-13-2004, 07:31 AM
We had good success last year with the fly rods even some fish hooked on the flats sight fishing but it requires close attention with a full support team from the forum to pull that off. If we have more than one person to think about then the fly rods would get out of hand quickly. Since it looks like there will be only a few of us this year there is no way we can pull off flyrods after the boot camp session.

Another option is to cancel if we can't get the member support for this event. :(

juro
07-13-2004, 01:55 PM
OK - CRUNCH TIME...

If anyone knows anyone who can participate this is the time to make the call.

We really need your help!

Hawkeye
07-14-2004, 07:55 AM
It looks like we have as many as 7. I'll check with my bro in law who doesn't fish much but I can coach him and he'd be a warm body. Please don't cancel this. We will find some way to make it work - games on the beach - whatever. My heart is breaking thinking about canceling on these kids. I keep thinking what it would be like to tell my step-daughter that Christmas was cancelled this year.

Smcdermott
07-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Juro,

I had some family/new home duties on the plate I was able to put off until Sunday so I am in as well. I don't have any spinning gear though if that is the route we want to go. Does anyone have any extra they could lend or have any reccomendations for an inexpensive setup I could get on short notice. We need to make this happen.

Sean

juro
07-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys, we'll make it happen. I feel the same way.

I am going to approach some shops about getting some discounted gear for the kids. I know that Ocean State Job Lot has affordable outfits.

Nick
07-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Juro,
Where should I bring the boxes? I can meet you tommorow or friday. So glad to hear that its going on:), really sad that I can't participate this year.:(

Nick

Smcdermott
07-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Not to be a pain in the A$$ but should we start to get a game plan together. It has been a few years since I was able to participate in this event. I understand we are going to give the boxes away but honestly I can't say I have enough time between now and Saturday morning to tie a box full of flies. Juro, any word on the spin gear? I have been considering getting a spin outfit for fishing with friends so if need be I may be able to make the move before the weekend. Anything else food or otherwise we need to bring. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Sean

juro
07-14-2004, 10:26 PM
The game plan was to wait to see if anyone else would sign up thru Wednesday.

With the group we have on hand and 20 pairs we will have to take 3-4 groups per angler and focus on simpler fishing methods than flyfishing.

We will still do the 'boot camp', then do some fishing with the kids. Boot camp consists of teams going through the various fly casting props, then a real rod, then off to fish for a while.

We will then convene over at the refuge for lunch, and an award ceremony for the kids. Don't worry about the flies - we award them one fly per box and a lure it's not a fishing fly box, but a token of achievement. They appreciate it.

Nick - I have 20 left over from the winter shows so please put those aside for next time. I will provide the 20 lures if we could all bring 3 flies that should more than cover it. Probably the flashier the better for the kids, barbless would be best.

They will then go on to do their scavenger hunt with the Monomoy Refuge Staff, which is always a treat for them. We usually go back out and fish then.

I need to confirm with Keith on exact time - either before or after the first shuttle. Other than that it's a pretty easy schedule up to lunchtime, then we relax and fish.

First round at Squires is on me for those who join me after fishing!

Sean - let me know if you have any add'l questions.

Nick
07-15-2004, 06:57 AM
Juro,
Sounds good...I can get more of them whenever. Supply still running strong!

Nick

Smcdermott
07-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Juro,

Thanks for the update. As usual you are right on top of things. Slinger has generously offfered to lend us two spinning gear setups and plugs for the surf so I should have at least two spinning outfits with me and I am going to make a stop tonight to see about a third. I think I can definitely scrounge up three flashy flies for the kids. Sounds like we are in good shape.

Sean

Adrian
07-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Glad you guys could get this done and I'm real sorry to not be joining you this year.

Smcdermott
07-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Juro or anyone,

Any recommendations on fly rods we should bring. I was thinking of an 8wt with a 9wt floating line for an easy load and pick up. Not the tool I would use this time of year but probably the easiest set up to pick up and cast I can think of. I will also have two surf set ups and a bag of plugs thanks to Slinger.

Sean

juro
07-15-2004, 09:10 PM
Sean -

Thanks for asking.

Once again because we have so few mentors we will not be able to flyfish safely with the kids. Even when we were one mentor per big/little we often cast and let them strip the fly in. It's simply not possible for one mentor to watch three or four fly rods whipping around by un-experienced hands with hooks on them.

We should assume that each mentor will have 3 pairs (6 folks) to help out.

We will concentrate on spin fishing this year, with one fly rod per mentor rotating through the group.

Sluggos are the best way to go because there are no treble hooks. All barbs should be removed. One fly rod and the others spin. The pairs will take turns with the mentor and siingle fly rod per group. Most likely the mentor will cast and let the little brother strip the fly in. Then the next group will give the spin rod to them and will have a turn stripping the fly. If it turns out they can make the cast, then that's great. Go at their comfortable speed.

We should fish South Beach as a group. Each mentor will be responsible for helping their group but if we stay together we can help each other out overall.

I will have a huge bag of sluggos and jig heads with barbs removed. The stripers will think they have hit a shoal of sand eels. ;)

Our objective is to pass the torch for flyfishing, but we need to be sensible and safe. I believe this plan is safe and we will still instill an experience and appreciation for fishing in a beautiful place that the kids will remember for a long time.

Thanks Sean, Slinger

Hawkeye
07-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Unless it screws things up Mike and I will be waiting on south beach and will not be taking the shuttle.

juro
07-16-2004, 10:43 AM
No problem Gregg, thanks again to the Esteys for your participation!

For the rest of us more info:

I spoke with Heather at BB and Rip Ryder. We will meet the kids at the lighthouse or the causeway at 8:30 for the 9am shuttle.

There are 16 pairs confirmed. We will have to take multiple pairs each but will stay in the same general area. Most likely the 15-20 mph SW winds will force us to go to the ocean side on a flood tide, the waves will be feisty so keep the kids high on the shore.

The confirmed FF mentors are: Gregg, Mike, John, Dave, Sean, Juro

We will need 6 fly rods and 10 spin outfits to pull this off.

I assume we all have fly outfits. Dave has one spin, Sean has two, Esteys I am sure will bring one each and John has 293 of them. I will try to bring 5 spin outfits to make sure we have enough.

I plan on fishing the lighthouse for the dawn bite if anyone else is planning on being there. Also, we get done after the lunch so if anyone is interested in hopping out to Monomoy let's do it.

Most importantly, we want the kids to have fun and get inspired to become anglers and outdoorsmen. We want to help the big brother take the little brother fishing. It's all good.