Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pearl Necklace

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
I would like the recipe for tying the Pearl Necklace. I took notes at the Clave and want to know whaat side the chartreuse wing goes. I believe its bacicly a Clouser type fly. Thanks for your help.
FishHawk

#2 ·
Fishhawk, sorry, I must've missed this post somehow. Here's the recipie for the Pearl Necklace:

I tie it on a standard mustad 34007(i think) in sizes from 2 to 4/0. The 2 seemed to be about the right size for Harker's Island Albies, while the 4/0 managed to attract the attention of a couple of snook down in Costa Rica. I haven't yet fished for stripers with this pattern, but i'm anxious to try it.

Thread: Chart
Eyes: I use deep see eyes mostly.
Body: pearl estatz medium
Tail: pearl flashabou and grey ghost krystal flash
Wing: VERY sparse Chart bucktail over pearl flashabou and a few strands of silver krystal flash. (Note: The original pattern omits the bucktail)

Instructions: Tie on the eyes then wind the thread down the shank to the beginning of the bend. Tie in the flashabou and the krystal flash tail here(I cut it twice as long as i want it and fold it over the thread to prevent it from pulling out). Tie in the end of the estatz and wind the thread forward to in front of the eyes and half hitch. Wind the estatz around the shank forward to just behind the eyes and tie off. Next flip the hook over and tie in the flashabou and the krystal flash, followed by the bucktail, on the gap side of the hook. Depending on the profile you're shooting for you may want to make a couple of wraps behind the materials to make it a sort of 'hi-tie'.

Let me know if anything was unclear.

-Mattb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.