South Beach, 6/29 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: South Beach, 6/29

FredA
06-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Fished with JFBasser and his co-workers today. Tough going. Did find fish breaking and spooked a pair early but no hits. After a look at the surf went back to the flat and after a while started seeing fish at about high slack. May have actually been any stage of the drop because there was not much current on the outgoing. Had fish aroung me for an hour and a half but with the occasional sun and wind it was tough to get a decent cast to sighted fish. Then they weren't interested in the standard sand eel stuff. Fish were gently sipping on the surface and grubbing (saw a few on there side in a foot of water). Shrimp and crabs the bluelight special today??? Finally got a grab on the smallest fly I had in my box. I guess it was a small victory just finding fish cause nobody else was seeing anything.

juro
06-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks Fred.

About three years ago the deep eel could not do wrong. Before that it was the crab fly. Before that the sparse olive over white clouser (bucktail). I think we do a great job of educating these fish. With the average age of these big residents several to over ten years, sometimes 14-15 years of age they have seen it all and get very accustomed to what people throw especially if everyone's throwing it.

Not so in the rips and surf, but on the flats it takes a little more than the springtime flip and twitch as July rolls into the refuge.

A time to try mens souls out there, my favorite time personally.

FredA
06-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Frankly Juro, I was cursin and blaming the apparent lockjaw on all those deep eels you've been feeding these fish :wink: I need to add a little variety to my flybox. If Basser had hung around I'd of bummed a mini-wing from him.

juro
06-29-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm sure I played a role but if you check the flies on the ride over lately they all look the same. The fish have got to be thinking the same too. I think you're gonna have to go further than a mini-wing lately. Time to break out the summer stuff.

slabcandy
06-29-2004, 07:03 PM
:cool: ok, i forget what you call those little things, but the stripers gorge on them when theres no schools of other bait arround at the moment. those small clear crab bug looking things that hop all over the beach as the surf rolles up. zing a pattern that looks like that on a day when it seems as though fish have lockjaw..... its just a matter of sinking it in the right spot and trying to keep tight with it, a slight twitch hear and their....after every wave rolls through it kicks up this little guys, its kind of like rice.....a staple when theres nothing else around. take a couple of these little clear bugs home and tie one up slightly larger than the bug.

jfbasser
06-29-2004, 07:26 PM
I hear that Fishhawk is a renowned expert on Isopods....maybe he could tie us up a few :smokin:

juro
06-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Not a bad idea, but the problem is big bass don't feed on kernels of rice, they feed on a whole bowl and you can't tie a bowl of sand fleas. Sure you can invest a lot of time with trout flies, but the time might be better invested differently.

There are several ways to skin the summer cat, or I should say "dog".

FishHawk
06-30-2004, 07:28 AM
I think they are on very small shrimp tan in color. Difficult to get the fish to take when they are that small and numerous. Perhaps we are using too big of an outfit to get these guys. I'll bet a 5wt rod would be the ticket. Next time I see you Jbasser I'll have those flies :lildevl:

jfbasser
06-30-2004, 08:31 AM
I will have a biologist I know work on a little attractant for those flies :lildevl:

FredA
06-30-2004, 08:34 AM
Don't know about a 5 wgt. All the fish I saw were mid 20's to mid 30's", decent schoolies. Didn't see any runts.

Fished the bayside this morning to get the skunky smell off. Caught some arm toggler schoolies. The DNA sand eel experiment is over for me. Stuff morphs into kinky fiber after a fish munches on it.

BigDave
06-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Are the hordes of fish that have been filter feeding bayside lately. Fished out of Brewster on a friends boat. At one point we were completely surrounded by hundreds of nice fish with their mouths open and 1/2 out of the water...straining some tiny pink dots off the surface the size of a pinhead. Tried everything in the book...big, small, fast, slow. As soon as the line would hit the water they would run for cover.

Maybe this weekend a red gurgler with a sz 24 brassie dropper :chuckle:

jfbasser
06-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Right Fred! The only flies that I have seen foul more than my wings are those of the Double Helix :Eyecrazy:

FishHawk
06-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Good thing I didn't buy a ton of that stuff. Seems as if every winter there is a hot fly or material one must have. Lesson learned don't go wild on any new stuff. Let others try before you buy.
Big Dave wonder if those were crab larvae ? Sounds familar.
FishHawk

Adrian
06-30-2004, 12:33 PM
The filter feeders reminds me of a trip we did with Bruce Peters a couple of years back. There were large stripers in groups of 5 to 8 with their tails sticking straight up out of the water. Only thing is they were feeding over about 20ft on the west side of S Monomoy. They seemed to be hoovering up some tiny green thingumyjigs. The only approach with those guys was "shock tactics" which met with success on about one in twenty deliveries.

Hard fished residents on the flats are a whole other ball game - they've seen it all before and have learned to associate the presence of anglers with food containing nasty sharp objects that pull your head sideways. The tendency therefore is to abstain from food whilst anglers are in the vicinity. Nothing less than the "perfect presentation" will do.

The fun part is figuring out what that looks like :smokin: n.b. F.W.I.W. I now consider the anglers presence an integral part of the presentation!

flydoc
06-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Sounds like the perfect time for John to patent and market his "stealth waders".
Doc Shep