Heading to Monomoy [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Heading to Monomoy

StriperSniper
06-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi All:

New to the website but not to SWFF...I'm taking a trip up to Monomoy/South Beach in July and looking to do alittle wading on my own. I've chartered a few trips up there already through "Fishing the Cape" and it's always been a good time..this time though I'm huffing it on my own and just looking for alittle info since I'm shore bound....Not looking for anybody's Honey Hole :tsk_tsk: just alittle nudge in the right direction.....I'll be taking the "Outermost Harbor" ferry to give you an idea of my starting point.

Any info is appreciated

Cheers,
StriperSniper

CSJ60
06-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Save yourself a few $$$ and take the Rip Ryder... forum sponsor and great service

StriperSniper
06-29-2004, 12:22 PM
CSJ60,
Where can I pick up the Rip Ryder ?

striblue
06-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Check out the web site.. it's at Morris island ,about a mile down from the Chatham light. keith and his father run a fisherman friendly boat and are extremely reliable. see.http://www.monomoyislandferry.com/

BigDave
06-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Ditto on Rip Ryder.

If you search the forum for "flats" you'll turn up a wealth of information. Get off the shuttle, don't wade any deeper than knee deep, try to spot fish and lead them with your fly. And don't forget to have fun :D

FishHawk
06-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Rip Ryder is the way to go. Capt. Keith is very knowledgeable. and fisher friendly. Plus the cost if better than his competion. You can't go wrong with the Rip Ryder.
FishHawk

juro
06-29-2004, 02:50 PM
If there's any chance of low light opt for South Beach instead of North Monomoy, you have the option of walking over to the beach and fishing the surf that way. North Monomoy appears to the uninitiated to be a vast wasteland of shallow water, but to those who understand it's subtleties there is a buzzing community of organisms and on the upper half of that food chain are some big fish with stripes.

South beach has it's share of gorgeous flats and is much easier to learn and fish. I would suggest going there first, fish both sides and enjoy the raw beauty as you explore, and more often than not you'll be surprised by some cruising submarines, swirling or tailing fish in the shallows, or blitzing schools on the beach.

Since you will be in the area, test the waters before and after Rip Ryder hours around the lighthouse, Pleasant Bay, Nauset Beach, and the river mouths on the sound. Things can get pretty explosive especially during the off hours in July.

Good luck DIY,

Juro

Dave17
06-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Sniper,

What's the story behind the half a 'cuda in your avatar? :eek:

StriperSniper
06-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Dave,
That 's actually a Wahoo I got while down in the Bahamas....We were trolling a shelf in front of the Atlantis resort in about 600 ft of water, I picked this fish up fought it for a minute or so then nothing...I thought I lost it, that's a pic of what I had left when I got it to the boat...the captain said it was most likely a Hammerhead since they've been seeing them in that area every now and then :Eyecrazy:

StriperSniper