Some times it is the little things [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Some times it is the little things

jjohnson
06-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Since I may never feel a steelhead at the end of my line again I was thinking as I was driving home last night from the river, sometimes I will just have to enjoy the little things.

4 beavers popping up right where your line is swinging.
An Ice cold beer waiting in the car as you take your waders off for the evening.
The joy of making a good cast.
Seeing a full grown man in mikey mouse ears and a beer waving to traffic. Got to smile sometimes. :chuckle:
Gin and Tonics after a day on the river
Steak and red wine for dinner.
Feeling the water and realizing that hey I can probably wade wet next week.
Breaking out the single handed rod and a floating line for the first time in 10 months.

What other little things are out there.

JJ

juro
06-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Why might you never feel a steelie on the line again? I moved from suburban Seattle 9 yrs ago and never felt that would be the case. Although I do miss steelheading in a bad way sometimes...

sean
06-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Fishing a run and getting that perfect swing.

Last week while I was going fishless I found myself standing in the same spot for 30+ minutes just watching the line swing. It was perfect water and when the casting and water you are fishing all come together it is a most satisfying thing to watch, fish or not.

-sean

Big K1
06-28-2004, 12:41 PM
JJ,

I have been getting that feeling of never feeling a steehead again also.
I like the gin & tonics and steak plan. It is nice to be out swinging a fly though.

Kevin

MJC
06-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Some things I like are;

Looking at the local scenery of a feminine nature.

Looking at my Wheatley.

Watching geese, mallards, eagles, and deer.

The tugs of a trout and it's bight colors.

Watching my grandson stumble around while trying to learn how to wear waders. He often falls on his butt and we have a laugh with me falling in quite a bit too. Which he thinks is extremely funny.

The sound of a Jake brake from the trucks coming down the river. To this old trucker that is right up there with the growl of my Hardy.

jjohnson
06-28-2004, 01:07 PM
You have to swing a fly to really enjoy the Gin and Tonic and steaks. Can't fully enjoy them without some fishing before hand.

Juro I might not ever feel the pull of a steelhead again because I just can't seem to find them and then get them to take. THey may be nonexistant for me for awhile.

JJ

kush
06-28-2004, 01:18 PM
JJ,

I know your problem! You are eating the steak after fishing ... the first time we fished together you brought a BBQ and the steaks in the drift boat and we cooked 'em up on the beach - after which I fired up a good Cuban :smokin: - those are some of the small things that make the day - fish or not.

If they ever open the Thompson again Dana and I have made a pact. We are going to stop at least once everyday to "smell the roses" or should I say the sage brush. We will break out the folding chairs, mix up a martini and smoke a short cigar. We figure that after so many years of commando fishing that it is time we relaxed a bit.

Now this doesn't mean the Ninja of the Thompson is no more - it just means he'll be taking a mid-day break :lildevl:

Robert
06-28-2004, 01:55 PM
This morning I watched as two deer emerged from the mist and crossed the river above me.

The wild lupines are starting to bloom.

Ran into a friend on the river I hadn't talked to in a while.

It was a fine morning.

Brian Simonseth
06-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Sorry, Robert

Had to talk with some fish people this morning and forgot about fishing!
This is starting to get bad when you forget about fishing with friends!
Getting out in the early morning see the trees and animals is a whole lot better then meeting at 9:00am!
:Eyecrazy:

Robert
06-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Then I can add rubbing the fish buddha's belly to the list! :smokin:

sinktip
06-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Hey Brian,

Some of us can get up and fish and still meet people at 9:00. It is light at 4:30 now. Come on man, get with the program. Fish don't sleep, why should we?

Hey PM me your address, I will mail that up. August is too long to wait. I will forget by then.

Chief

pescaphile
06-28-2004, 06:40 PM
I could go on and on .... but what immediately sprang into my mind was the trill of Varied Thrush coming through the rainforest. That is a sound I associate with steelhead season.

Skilly
06-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Tomorrow I have to drive to Maupin to look at property. Trying to decide if I can take being that close to the Deschutes. I have been looking for just the right place for a year now, and this realtor thinks she just may have it.

My Spey rod is loaded up and I will have to let a fly swing through my favoite run. There probably are not any Steelhead there yet but I will act like there are. If nothing else a Redside may grab it.

Juro,,, I will make a cast or two for you.

Skilly

NrthFrk16
06-28-2004, 10:21 PM
JJ-
Don't think like that as in "I may never feel a steelie again" because once you've lost the confidence, you've lost the ability to hook fish.

But then again, never stop smelling roses.

Nailknot
06-29-2004, 01:14 AM
With thanks to David James Duncan:

Strategic retreat: as in going fishing without desire for fish so that desirelessness becomes the prey that you're catching.

Can be a good thing.

andre
06-29-2004, 10:27 AM
JJ, Just go out with Duggan..... oh wait you said steelhead.

OK, lets go get em. I can show you a place where you can get 2-4 in the morning no problem the only catch is you have to use my special fly :lildevl:

Moonlight
06-29-2004, 11:23 AM
JJ, In no particular order:

An empty parking lot at the end of the road.

The call of a Loon on a foggy morning.

A clear view of "Orion" on a January night.

Dry firewood.

sinktip
06-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Hang in there Jeff. You are a hard-core and know that steelheading is very Gestalt: much more than the sum of its parts.

Here are a couple others to add to your list.

* the morning fog rising off the run
* the brief tick-tick of the hardy as the cast unfurls and drifts to the water
* the slight burn of the peat as you toast the sunrise

kush
06-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Here's what Duggan means...

jjohnson
06-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Nice picture tyler.

Didn't someone on that trip get hyperthermia though?

That is exactly what I am talking about now.

JJ

KerryS
06-29-2004, 12:15 PM
A snowy morning with the whoosh, whoosh of a large, unseen eagle's wings as they stroke the heavy air. The sound fading away up stream. The line unfolding, the last of the cast not seen as it disapears into the falling snow.

sean
06-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Waiting for an angler to hurry up and fish through the run as he contemplates eagles, stars, beavers, fog , etc, etc, etc.

:razz:

-sean

SalmoGairdneri
06-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Why might you never feel a steelie on the line again? I moved from suburban Seattle 9 yrs ago and never felt that would be the case. Although I do miss steelheading in a bad way sometimes...

This season as last has been extremely grim for the steelies. I'm fishless using all techniques available.

-t

Sharp Steelie
06-30-2004, 01:11 AM
Keep the faith - they will come

http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Steelhead86/41_plus.jpg

kush
06-30-2004, 01:42 AM
You just don't get it do you man.... so sad.

Sharp Steelie
06-30-2004, 03:49 AM
So - even words of encouragement with a pic to bolster some
hope is wrong - oh, trust me - I get it. I guess the pic of Tyler
holding a fish in his avatar is also wrong then.

I had a very interesting conversation with a WDFW Law Enforcement
Officer while fly fishing on the Toutle system. Guess what he told
me - "Fly Fishermen are the worst offenders on the rivers". That
was a hard one to hear after doing a 22 year career with a L/E
agency.

With the elitist and holier than thou attitude that is out there -
I have a feeling that the officers comment was actually correct.
"A lot of fly fishermen believe they are above the law". Another
comment from a L/E type. Just something to think about - did not
make me feel to good to hear those types of statements.

It was really nice to see Flytyer's post a while back - at least he
was man enough to admit it when he found out the truth. Would
be more than happy to personally show him how I fly fish.

Personally - I prefer to fish with imperfect people who know how
to laugh at themselves and who are open to new stuff - one thing
is for sure, I'm no fishing messiah. Just catch fish and have fun!
Don't want to be put on any type of podium like some others have
insinuated.

Come to another conclusion - I'll just let some others figure that
one out - might have something to do with hyprocracy.

Now for something that is really important: On the Steelheader.net site
there is a thread entitled - Sad news from the Eastside. Please check
it out and do something nice for Jackson.

thank you

Big K1
06-30-2004, 04:07 AM
SS you are right about the fact that you are not a messiah. Homer2Handed is the Steelhead Messiah and the Jolly Buddha and the Pope of splice. :smokin:

Kevin

KerryS
06-30-2004, 09:03 AM
SS,

If you don't like the attitude here why in the hell do you keep coming here? Why don't you do everyone here including yourself a favor and post your crap somewhere else? Please spare me the I am only trying to help line. I have heard it too many times from you and everyone here knows how to fly fish anyway. They don't need your help.

Maybe you could start your own bulletin board. I promise I will not visit it and I think a few others here would make the same promise.

kush
06-30-2004, 09:47 AM
Hey SS, I'm sorry you feel offended, for I'm sure that if anyone can relate that I'm just trying to help by sharing the truth as I see it ... it is you :rolleyes:

kush
06-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Oh, as far as that fish in my avatar - I am just so proud of it - that is the only steelhead I've ever caught.

It is still very sad ...

Nailknot
06-30-2004, 10:05 AM
SS it aint even about you. But you seem to think eveything is about you, don't you, don't you.... you're so vain.... you probably think this thread about you, your sooo vainnn... (thanks Carley). Just kidding SS.

I do find your friend's comments re: offending and elitist fly fishers down right disgusting. And typical for low level L&E type power trippers. For one thing, he's flat out wrong. For another, for an officer of the law to be walking around the woods with his own preconceived notions of right and wrong is well... wrong. I'd like you to "out" this officer on this board, so anyone ticketed by him can get back in front of the judge and let his bias and prejudice be known. Sounds a lot like profiling, which is illegal and immoral.

sinktip
06-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Jeez Kush, at least you caught the fish in your avatar. The one in mine I lifted off the internet. I would be really proud to catch a fish too. I keep trying but I guess I am using the wrong flies (probably too big and too fancy), the wrong tackle (probably too new or too old) and fish with the wrong people (those a-holes share nothing). I guess there is some honor in trying though so I will just keep "plugging" away.

sinktip
Proud Member of both Golden Bones Anonomous and Steelhead Over Bones (SOB)

sinktip
06-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Oh yeah and can we try to keep to get this thread back onto its original track?

I am getting really pissed off when good threads keep getting derailed because some people want to turn everyone's attention to their catch rates. This thread was about enjoying the little things in the sport. If you want to start a thread on how good you are, please feel free. I am sure there will be plenty of people willing to "discuss" it with you.

From here on out, attempts to turn threads into "look at me's" will be deleted.

Now back to the original topic.....

I would propose we add:

* watching the setting sun as the boat floats into the takeout

* the look on your buddies face when you take a sip off his flask only to discover it is filled with Yukon Jack

* the hovering of an osprey as it watchs the fish you will never see

Sharp Steelie
06-30-2004, 10:30 AM
DELETED BY MODERATOR

OC
06-30-2004, 10:37 AM
The excitment of the night before a full days float.

Checking over rods, reels, leaders and fly boxes.

Making oversized sandwiches that take an hour to make.

Setting the alarm for 0330 and checking it 3 or 4 times to make sure it is set right.

Going to bed at 8:30 PM so you get enough sleep. But you find you just lay awake thinking about how you will fish every run on the float. You get up about
three times between 8:30 and 0100 turn on the TV hoping it takes the edge off and you can fall asleep.

Feeling just like you did when you were a kid and your uncle, grandfather or father was going to take you fishing the next morning before first light is priceless!

KerryS
06-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Meeting a fellow fisherman on the river whom you haven't seen for awhile. Sharing the time together while waiting for the sun to set. Watching as the shadows creep across the water. That anticipation you can only feel with the first few casts. Seeing the roll of a large fish down stream and thinking maybe just maybe.

striblue
06-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Ironically... If you look at the definition of "narcisisim" you will see "text book" connections here... so there is really nothing that can be said because of the trait of deflection which is big part of the condition.

KerryS
06-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Narcissism,

Stereotypic acts associated with the trait include flaunting body posturing, expansive arm gestures, smiling, bowing, colorful self-adornment, and a natural attraction to the limelight of personal recognition. The trait corresponds to a striving for ~glory~ in one's environment. In a pejorative connotation the trait of narcissism may reveal itself in the context of conceit, exhibitionism, vanity and messianism. Hallmarks of the trait include blushing, flushing and the narcissistic rage of defense and withdrawal. During the expression of the rage the facial complexion becomes flushed or florid.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Brian Simonseth
06-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Its all about enjoying the outdoors; getting out there BRFORE Meetings (Chief I said that for you) even if its only for 2 hours. Try different rods and lines that what makes this sport so FUN! And fish every once and a while.

Oh yea a nice cigar!

jjohnson
06-30-2004, 11:20 AM
I forgot this one.

Last fourth of July being on the Stilly at first light and out of the fog coming up river at me was a big bald eagle. Pretty darn cool.

As for the enforcement guy down on the Toutle he has issues. I ran into him last year and he told me the same thing and was disappointed by the fact that he couldn't write me a ticket. He has an axe to grind and is bitter and angry towards fly fisherman if you ask me he needs a break from what he is doing to take a reflect and refresh.

JJ

MJC
06-30-2004, 12:57 PM
DELETED BY MODERATOR

Damn, I wanted to ask him what he did with that fish.

MJC
06-30-2004, 01:08 PM
The excitment of the night before a full days float.

While you plan what you and your compadre are going to do with poor old Triple M.

Jarring the old guys innards all to hell, leaving him marroned on the right bank, getting his special baccy all wet, not showing him your "honey holes" where the ol BIG uns lurk, and last but surely not least exposing him to the Goddess. Is there no level of evil you will not stoop to? :chuckle: :lildevl: :devil:

Yes, I'm bored while waiting for a hapless fisher to come by for a visit.

sinktip
06-30-2004, 01:16 PM
MJC,

And OC and I really like MMM. We save the BAD stuff for those that we don't care for.

Wish I could be that fisher. Setting int he shop, drinking coffee and swapping stories sounds pretty damn good right now.

'tip

andre
06-30-2004, 01:17 PM
The little things,

Last Sunday Morning I saw a bone take a mayfly dun.
Spotted two steelhead.
Fished a bomber.
Had my 5 and 7 yr old casting on the lawn in the back 40.

OC
06-30-2004, 02:10 PM
MJC

If I left MMM on the right bank there would be no right bank left.

MJC
06-30-2004, 02:35 PM
I wish you and that radical you run with were over here. Linda is getting ready to fix lunch. It's starting to warm up but it is nice and shady on the porch. We could eat lunch and talk about the state of fishing for steel and whatever else in general. Take care, MJC

OC
06-30-2004, 02:50 PM
I must be that Radical you were talking about. You know we talked about radicals in math 101, at MIT not to be confused with MJC or MMM. But yes we would love to be sitting around the shop with white table cloth spread a fine bottle of chilled white and Dover squared sandwiches with deviled ham and pickles.

Oh and I can't be banned as one has already been banned earlier today for not relating to this post as fishing with MJC is as good as it gets and I think about it often.

MJC
06-30-2004, 03:43 PM
But yes we would love to be sitting around the shop with white table cloth spread a fine bottle of chilled white and Dover squared sandwiches with deviled ham and pickles.

Actually we are having chile dogs. :smokin:

sinktip
06-30-2004, 03:46 PM
MJC,

Please forgive my overly cultured friend. He sometimes slips back into his east coast upbringings.

To an old spud stater like myself, chilidogs are like caviar. Tell Linda hi for me and that you can have my portion.

'tip

sinktip
06-30-2004, 03:48 PM
And perhaps the greatest "little thing" this sport gives us is good friends.

OC
06-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your observations of Little Things on the River. Tommorow will be headed out with good friends for a full day on a river and will observe and think about many of the enjoyments brought up here by all of you.

wet fly
07-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Driving up the river this morning I see possibility of cloud cover. I can then fish a couple more hours. Walking to the river in the dark the rabbit is in the same place it was every day this week. The river cleared up a little. The bald eagle flew down river and it is just turning light. An hour later it flies east with the sun in its face and its head oh so white. The first otters I have seen this spring are moving upstream along the opposite shoreline. A merganser with 5 little one now swims upstream. At 10 am I let the fly hang down a little too long and I am on bottom. Should I tie on another fly or head home? There is a cloud cover but I head home anyway. The Steelhead, yes the steelhead is the reason I am. Tomorrow I will repeat this scene but a totally diferent script. Jerry

OC
07-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Yesterday on a river not to be named we had a great day. Nothing like getting up at 0245 to make the long drive to the secret put in. Of course stoping at AM/PM to get the only coffee available at that time of morning, bad coffee and no wonderful coffee girl to wait on you. Did I mention the Hostess Cherry pie just full of wonderful prossesed white sugar to get that buzz going. The radio at that time of morning played music only a junkie could love but luckly we did get some BBC news which I consider very acurate and not biased as what we get here in the USA.

That first rapid in the dark is so dam wonderful to navigate and sets the day when its run perfectly. Even with rivers dropping my oarsman did not touch a single rock or should say bounce off a rock all day. First run, standing by the boat lighting up cigar and a swig of fine scotch. Bird symphony # 13 playing loudly on full surround sound system and fishermen casting perfect casts and perfect swings on a floating line. Watching a doe walk the sides of a steep cliff on the other side of the river wondering if she will fall full tilt downward as she did on the last float in the exact same place.

The best time of a float for me is all the time on the river untill I have to put the shades on. I love my shades but to me once the shades are on the rest of the float is just getting back to the pull out. I still enjoy the rest of the float but Steelhead should be only caught before sunrise and after sunset unless you are casting into heavy shade. I'm thinking Steelhead are easily sun burnt.

We searched for Steelhead, fleet shadows leaving cover as we floated by every inch of water, bolder gardens, overhanging trees. River was void on the most part. A few glimpses of fleeing fish maybe kings maybe steel but not like God wanted it to be when he created such creatures. Forgive me father for we have sined.

It was a great day on the river, a good friend, talk of SS and his greatness, good laughs all day, plenty of food, TP for trips into the under brush, just nice summer weather and not one other fisherman untill pull out. Did we catch fish? Well I didn't but that's not to say the other guy didn't hit pay dirt.

May all of you fine gentlemen have a fine weekend.

MJC
07-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Great report! I'm glad some of the members of the "Northwest Chapter of the Golden Bone Club" got out for some time on the river. I know you really enjoy being out on the river with good company but it must have been slim pickens for you. No fish and not even a sighting of naked wildlife of the feminine variety. A happy 4 th to you also. Take care, MJC

OC
07-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Actually MJC we did see a sun bather in an isolated spot but she had a full bathing suit on. How Dum, how selfish of her.

Doublespey
07-02-2004, 04:18 PM
The rumor-mill had it that Sinktip was your charm last summer - drag him anywhere and you'd catch fish there. Sounds like this year you might be returning the favor?

The little things do indeed make the fishing special. I still like chrome playmates dancing on the end of my line, but as JJ so aptly pointed out we have to get our kicks where we can.

So here are my nominations for "little things" that help make my trips to the river special.

1. The sound of metal on metal as greedy Tiller Monkeys collide :eek:

2. The look on driftboaters faces framed against the evening sky when you tell them how far it is to the takeout. :hihi:

3. Watching sidedrifters snag up after casting into 2' of water, literally at your feet

4. Watching others attempt to launch their boats

5. Steelhead rolling in the lowlight of dawn or dusk

6. A well-fished run

7. A late breakfast after a morning on the river

8. Walking into a favorite run in the pre-dawn darkness and finding it unoccupied

9. Sharing stories of a good fight.

10. Wildlife (naked/female, furry, or feathered) :lildevl:

OC
07-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Hey Doublespey,

Notice the Tipper has remained real quiet today. Does not want us to think he is you know who.

Your # 10 is great. You must like hippie chicks too! :smokin:

Brian Simonseth
07-02-2004, 05:54 PM
OC
Your just a dirty old MAN!

DS
#5, #6, #7, #8 fav's

These virgin eyes can't handle #10

:eek:

sinktip
07-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Can't a guy take a day of vacation in peace???? Since my moderating job got a whole lot easier this week, I thought I could take a day off.

Doublespey -- you have never seen a pre-dawn run in your life. (However, I fear you have seen many, many more dusk runs than I have.) :)

As to rumors, suppositions and allegations. I am still looking to catch my first steelhead ever. Anything else you might hear or read is simply disinformation.

Moose
07-02-2004, 08:31 PM
living in a city with 1 million people and standing in the steelhead river that runs through it with nary a soul around.

Dissolving into the rhythms of casting and fishing and losing all of the background noise within.

A cold sunrise on a high sierra lake full of hungry browns when it's already getting hot down in the valley.

Sitting on the tailgate of a rusty pickup with hot black coffee waiting for enough light to stumble down to the water.

Ah yes, the Bikini hatch at the beach behind Sac State University that luckily coincides with the Shad run.

This last one is dedicated to MJC, fellow brother trucker:

Standing in the south fork of the Snake casting into the first of the morning light, the silence being broken only by the sound of a Jake brake roaring down the grade from Alpine, Wy. Sounds like the rumblings of God awakening to another glorious day in Idaho :roll:

NrthFrk16
07-03-2004, 01:26 AM
DS-
Great list.

The small things:

How about this evening? I show up to the river around 7:00 or so. Given the overcast, not too hot, semi-muggy early summer day, I could not pass up an after work shot at the river.

While making my way through a classic piece of water, enjoying the 'wonderful' weather, my favorite time of the year, (I also like to think March and October as my favorite time of the year as well...June ain't all that bad...Hell, neither is September etc. etc.) on my favorite river, comes an elder gent from the tailout to make another pass through HIS riffle.

He is sporting a stripping basket, full sunk line and overdressed Skykomish Sunrise. I finish my pass through and walk up to the top of the hole. As I pass him, we lament to one another the slow fishing. I find a comfortable rock not too far behind him and watch him finish his evening's fishing.

Sunday may be just as good. Its a 4th of July tradition of mine, to be on this river, fishing for steelhead. It is also a 4th of July tradition for me to at the very atleast have a pull that could be a steelhead. Hopefully this year, she will come to hand. I need to land a fish.... :roll:

Brian Simonseth
07-03-2004, 01:48 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
:d

loco_alto
07-03-2004, 02:58 AM
billions and billions of beautiful round stones sorted with same-sized stones at the water's whim

sinktip
07-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Here is one I will throw out for size.

Cleaning a fish right after first light as some tilla monkeys go by.

KerryS
07-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Taking one right off the side of a tilla monkey's boat as they drift by is one of the most beautiful things that can happen