Water temperatures [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Water temperatures

striblue
06-27-2004, 05:07 PM
What's the concensus on the ideal water temperatures for Bass.?

Dble Haul
06-27-2004, 06:58 PM
I guess that it depends on who you ask. Over the years I've read and been told many ranges, but if I were to take an average of all of those I'd have to ballpark it from 55-65.

I'm sure you'll get many answers on this, and I look forward to reading input from others.

FishHawk
06-28-2004, 06:52 AM
I agree with Mark.I know from past experience that 50 is the magic number when the fish arrive in the Spring and leave in the Fall. Just my .02
FishHawk

ashbourn
06-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Yea it seems to be closer to 50 around here, but around here are are not many times that are bad :)

CascoBay
06-28-2004, 09:13 PM
I am not sure the exact figures... infact I should really start carrying a thermometer with me when I fish. The early season here in Maine tends to be towards warmer water 58-60+. Tidal rivers and estuaries seem to fish much better when they have had the day to bake in the sun. I suppose it make sense, the baitfish move up into that warmer water and as the tide goes it flushes all the bait out. When the river get above the 60 degree mark the beach and rocks start to really turn on... Alan Caolo says that the optimal temps for sight fishing are 55-65 (I think)!