Wild Steelhead for the Future! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wild Steelhead for the Future!

rich_simms
06-26-2004, 10:51 PM
All, If you believe the two year moratorium is the right direction for declining wild steelhead, please take the time to get involved. The two year moratorium is the right thing to do, it will allow a time out to develop a real conservation management strategy for wild steelhead. Or we can continue to go down the road we have been taking and wait until the "deemed" healthy rivers are not meeting escapement and close them down.

NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

June 25, 2004

Fish and Wildlife Commission schedules hearing

on wild-steelhead retention moratorium

OLYMPIA – The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission will hold a meeting Aug. 28 in Bremerton to hear public testimony on the statewide moratorium on wild steelhead retention enacted earlier this year.

The public hearing is scheduled from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Kitsap Conference Center, 100 Washington Ave., in Bremerton.

Commission Chair Will Roehl said the citizen panel scheduled the hearing after the City of Forks and hundreds of individual anglers asked that commissioners reconsider the two-year moratorium they adopted in February.

Roehl said the hearing will provide an opportunity for members of the public to comment on whether the moratorium on wild steelhead retention should be rescinded, amended or retained in its current form. Commissioners will consider those comments along with written testimony when they discuss the future of the wild-steelhead moratorium during a conference call Sept. 2, he said.

“Right now, all options are open,” Roehl said. “Given the amount of interest we’ve seen in this issue, we decided to open it back up for public discussion before considering any future actions.”

Roehl said the commission, which sets policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, has received hundreds of calls and letters – both pro and con – since adopting the moratorium on wild steelhead retention at its Feb. 6 meeting.

The moratorium, which took effect May 1 and runs through March 31, 2006, requires anglers to release any steelhead that is not marked as a hatchery fish by a missing adipose or ventral fin and a healed scar. Since retention of wild steelhead was already prohibited on most rivers in Washington, only about a dozen rivers – most of them on the Olympic Peninsula – were affected by the moratorium.

The commission will consider written comments on the statewide moratorium submitted through Aug. 26. Comments should be addressed to Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission, 600 Capitol Way N., Olympia WA 98501-1091 or sent via e-mail to commission@dfw.wa.gov

kush
07-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Please keep this in mind

steeliefreak
07-21-2004, 10:36 AM
I am from Michigan so let me know if I am totally wrong but it seems to me that that is a measly start that will do close to nothing for the returning nates, the real issue seems to be all of the netting. I am a big catch and release advocate myself but will that really help?

jjohnson
07-21-2004, 01:39 PM
There is no one silver bullet. Harvest, Hatcheries, Hydro (where there are dams), and habitat are all big issues.

Harvest by the sports anglers is something we can change right now. It is something we can do and have an immediate impact. THere are around 3000-4000 wild fish harvested a year by anglers and I can't be convinced that the runs would be no better now if we hadn't harvested those fish and allowed them to spawn. Nets are an issue but the majority of them are tribal and without federal intervention there is nothing that we can do about them immediately. This will take time.

This is more about a management shift. Runs have been managed downward, no probably some of this isn't all the departments or anglers fault, but now rivers have closed left and right and it is time to try a new management strategy that limits impact while still allowing angling opportunity.

JJ