Rip Trip Report- 10 Guys, 200+ Fish!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip Report- 10 Guys, 200+ Fish!!

striblue
06-26-2004, 05:25 PM
I will keep this short... I will post pictures Sunday Night since I don't have the computer attachement... We had one no show, but Jim Simms son took his place...Today was nothing short of the classic Rip trip that we have come to know. The weather was great, fog, 75 degrees , no or little wind from the W,SW... Smooth ride over.... With the rip not yet set up we started fishing right away.... at about 8:30...FredA was the first to hook up.. I was watching him as I was stripping then I hooked up...about a minute later all hell broke lose.... We were on fish for the next hour and one half.... Two keepers caught, one by Dave17 and the other, I forget....... To many double hookups to count, many triple hook ups, and two Quadruple hook ups I saw personally with me in one of them. Most fish to the mid 20's , light and sea lice...Then ...1/2 hour lull.... then fish hitting sporadically as the rip started to form... then another fluster with everyone hooking up...Just two more lulls though out the day lasting maybe 1/2 hour each... then more fish and double hook ups... Dave17 and Brad took he honnors with the most fish.....Big Blues started in the mix around 12 or 1..... Blues would hit as the fly dropped with the stripers hitting close to shore in the classic style.... Guys resting, eating ,watching others catch ,then viceversa. No really big fish today but we did not care... Just hard to describe... contant action all day....We figured over 200 hundred but maybe 250... with a couple guys hitting 30... and the rest of us in the 20's. I could not take pictures of the first hour and 1/2 since I was in the fray and the camera was back at Rip HQ. Some guy called me twice on my cell phone and left a message, imitating Keiths Voice telling me the wind was up and we would have to walk to the north tip, and he would see us in 6 hours... The voice sounded suspiciously like Penguin . :) ...Spectacular day, great company with great guys and tahnks again to Keith and the admiral... more later as the other guys drift in and I will post pics later...

flydoc
06-26-2004, 05:40 PM
John- AWESOME trip! My best day of fishing ever.....everything I expected and more. Great fishing and great company. Looking forward to the next one. Will post my pics once the photo CD is ready at the CVS....
Doc Shep

P.S.- I'm addicted to the Atlantis, and don't care who knows about it! :lildevl:

Jim Miller
06-26-2004, 05:52 PM
WOW!
You paint quite a great picture John. One of these times I am going to have to make the "RIP TRIP". Can't wait to see the pics. :D

juro
06-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Awesome!

The Rip Trip is a special event. Both John and I had fished "the rip" from boats and wanted to be dropped off on shore to fish it proper so we started asking Keith about access. Keith would say "there's this other guy who wants to do the same thing" and it turned out to be John! Next thing you know Capt. Keith made the dream a reality for ten adventurous souls. I think the first one was four years ago...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/Pointrip2000/ripmain.htm

In any case, sounds like you guys did the tradition proud today! I can't wait to see the pics.

Dave17
06-26-2004, 07:04 PM
John summed it up perfectly, great day had by all :D :D :D !!! Here are a couple of images from the rip......

Paxton
06-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Congrats to all that went! Sounded very exciting and successful. Looking forward to the time I can get to go. Glad the weather held out for you all. Looking forward to the pics and stories :-) Brad......you did your Dad proud...say hi to him for me, will miss seeing him on the flats.
Ron

striblue
06-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks Juro...I remember.... It's days like today that make the trip special. I think back when keith said I go...ALONE... if The Bird Watchers had a cancellation , I could go as the tenth Person..... Me..alone ..at the Rip...no one would have beleived me with a report. now we get to have this for the Forum...

FishHawk
06-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Great time with a great group of guys. Awesome trip. The Iron Man was the perfect trip leader . I got an invite to the Monomoy Cafe . Chashews and various pasta salads were on the menu. Was uglad that the Doc got some fish. Good to meet the FlyFreak and the rest of the gang. Jim Sims son along with Dave 17 and CSJ60 were fishing machines. Can't wait for the next one.
FishHawk :D

jimS
06-26-2004, 09:32 PM
I've been on the Cape since Memorial Day. Had some awesome days on S. Beach and Monomoy that I would consider memorable. Right Craig and Dennis?

Today was on a higher plateau. Thanks to John and Keith, I got the opportunity to have my son, Brad, share some of the fishing potential that this area has to offer. While he was pumped and truly excited about the fishing at the rip on S. Monomoy, it was the environment and camarderie that I enjoyed as much as the fishing. What a spectacular piece of real estate and a group of diehard flyfishermen.

The weather was ideal, the fish cooperated and while the cows were not at home today on the rip, it is just a matter of being there when there are that will make it truly memorable.

Thanks again John, Keith, Juro, Ed and et al for making this a memorable event.

I'm heading home on Sunday. Will be back Sept/Oct for the bunker/bass migration.

Simms

flydoc
06-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Jim- It was truly a pleasure getting to know you and Brad- that was a hell of a bluefish you landed today, and Brad seemed to be catching fish every time I looked in his general direction...including the one where I needed to step over his line to keep it from getting tangled with mine while he fought the fish. Wish him best of luck in school and in his efforts to take muskie on the fly- have him post some pics when he gets some...
Hope to see both of you in the fall.... :D
Doc Shep

juro
06-26-2004, 11:57 PM
Thanks Juro...I remember.... It's days like today that make the trip special. I think back when keith said I go...ALONE... if The Bird Watchers had a cancellation , I could go as the tenth Person..... Me..alone ..at the Rip...no one would have beleived me with a report. now we get to have this for the Forum...

It would have been as good as being the first man on the MECCA :smokin:

Seriously, that would have been insane, truly fit for a 'mayor'. And you might have even met a hippie chick :lildevl:

striblue
06-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Speaking of the Mecca..... Don't you think it's time for both of us to make a ...sort of.... recon patrol out there ....soon? :lildevl:

juro
06-27-2004, 12:22 AM
I have been studying the panoramic photos of it I took on Tuesday AM and am thinking of hitting it as the ebb moves out to the right time day by day. Any time mid-week?

Penguin
06-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Mecca RECON...

Penguin
06-27-2004, 10:46 AM
...aerial angle...some interesting outside bowls and deep troughs...cow and seal country?!
Juro...
My snorkel bandages come off on Tuesday when they remove what feels like an ice pick sticking me in my phrontal lobe...nonetoosoon!
Let's go phishin'!

FredA
06-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Great day yesterday. It was good seeing old friends and making new. Catchin wasn't bad either.

I was looking at Mecca today and took a walk down the stretch in Petes photo and thinkin it's about time to yak out. I think I have extended fishing hours on the fifth and seventh of July if anyone is interested.

FishHawk
06-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Might take you up on the 5 th Fred for some yakking. I will let you know if it's a go for the 5th by pm. FishHawk

juro
06-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Did well the other evening in the south facing troughs.

Dble Haul
06-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Great to see that you all did so well.

Great job organizing, John!

rooster
06-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Damm!!!
I need to get there bad!
I am so glad that one of these infamous trips finally occured! Looks like good times were had by all.
Hopefully, I'll be back in August and will see if we can pull together a boatload for that time period, otherwise I may just swim out there!!
If Keith agrees to skipper the boat I promise to load BigBlue down and I am willing to share!
Great fishing.
I am jealous!
Cheers,
Dennis
PS. JimS; you HAVE had a great month! Can't wait til the job is a memory! :cool:

Adrian
06-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Great stuff. Looks like everyone had a great time. Hopefully the weather will cooperate on future trips too :smokin: