Battling the Blues [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Battling the Blues

FishHawk
06-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Had a great time battling some Bulldog size Blue from my yak. Explosive strikes and a little scary trying to land one of these guys with a Boga Grip. Lots of fun. Some fishermen look down at the Bluefish but they give it their all and fight very hard.
FishHawk

BigDave
06-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Nice. I agree 100% love catching blues (except when they're mixed in with alberts). Even the 7 pounders jump, head-shake and tailwalk better than any striper I've ever caught.

Especially fun if you are ready for them with wire and barbless hooks :D

Adrian
06-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Nice job Bill :smokin:

jfbasser
06-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder where he found the blues :lildevl:

FishHawk
06-24-2004, 09:34 PM
John you know where. :lildevl:
FishHawk :chuckle:

rooster
06-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Speaking of bluefish and wire.
I had good luck with the tiger wire this year, but was wondering if anyone has ever caught a striper while using wire. I have used short bite guards the past few years when the blues were thick, but have yet to ever hook a striper (of any size) while using the wire.
Anyone had a different experience?
Just curious.
Rooster aka, "Guardian of big blue" (the infamous cooler, not the fish!) :eek:

jared
06-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Have hit stripers to mid 30's on coated wire fishing the fall run.

juro
06-25-2004, 01:25 AM
I've hit plenty of stripers on wire but only when they are "in the mood". I believe they'd hit anything at such times so it's not a good measure of the effect it has on their willingness to eat. However, a mid-July day on the flats would provide good means of determining the effect. Maybe someday I'll even try it ;)

BigDave
06-25-2004, 07:34 AM
Hit lots of stripers over the last few weeks on wire. All mixed in with bluefish. I have been using the surflon micro wire which is pretty nice stuff (relatively speaking)

craig
06-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Where can someone get the surflon wire?

BigDave
06-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Craig,

Jim's got it at the shop.

rooster
06-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Dave,
What shop is "Jim" at?
I'd like to get some.
Also, what # test wire are you using?
Cheers,
DK
PS. We has one of those "biblical" days on the Oceanside the day after I last saw you. Hope to see you again in July.

Penguin
06-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Here's a 35# overkill version that I use offshore...
I'd recommend the 11# or 17# surflon-micro ultra...'ties like mono but has the cut resistance of stainless!
That's my wire of choice despite the price...5m for around $11. lasts a season or two.
Run a search for "American Fishing Wire" and get the full monty...
There are alternatives (TigerWire etc) but most shops familiar with toothy critters will carry American...don't forget to bring your wire snips! (or as John Morin if you can borrow his special Swiss tying scissors)

Flouro/Mono to wire...albright
Wire to phly...I fiddled up a perfection loop technique that minimizes waste and can be "digitally challenged" friendly in cold/wet/low light or rockin'rollin' on the Phracas...but the wire takes the clinch or loop knots very well so tye whatever floats your boat!

flyjkol
06-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Picked up some 15lb for northerns (my dad's taking a trip to trophy country 20lb northerns are small). Are the knots as good as they say, or should I use a crimp?

Penguin
06-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Don't horse the big ones and tye the knots with care and I think it'll work just fine.
I've had good success with knots for the past so many seasons but...
If you use crimp sleeves, the connection will be as good as it gets...not to mention neat, clean, and 100%.
I've got a pro pal who uses crimp sleeves for wire and flouro (20# and up) and he swears by it! (not at it)...besides that, a good crimp can be alot faster and more secure than a hastilly tyed knot conjured up during a blitz!
That's my next move...for connecting my larger offerings...herrings, eels, etc.
I've got some minor dexterity problems when my left challenged hand gets cold and wet...
While I am seriously thinkin' about a crimped connecting loop, I still like the albright to tye in the wire to the leader...
I'll still tye on the small/sparse flatz phlyz to light flouro but the big honkers would not be adversely affected by a crimped sleeve to form the connecting loop.
I've been looking for the right small crimp sleeves and some SS crimp pliers...
My daze of wrestlin' with small knotzz may soon be a phigment of my sorted past!

'Sounds like a good future thread...
What ever you go with, let us hear how it all turns out!

jared
06-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Or....go to your local craft store (AC Moore, Michael's, etc) -- in the beading section -- nylon coated braid wire....all of $1.99-$2.99 for 10 yards of the stuff.

(as Peter Jennings used to say "Your money, your choice.")

:roll:

jared

Penguin
06-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Interesting logic...
You've (we've) spent serious ca$h for rod reel line waders jacket and a bunch'a other stuff...you (we) demand bullet proof lifetime guarantees...the list goes on and on...
We always want the best we can afford...and we expect performance and value.
The "final conection" between you and the fish of a lifetime...and you want to go to a craft store and save the cost of several Duncan Donut coffees by choosing a coated wire of questionable test so that you can satisfy a dominant "bargain gene"...very curious and interesting. I love a bargain but...
Your money your choice...
I'll opt for a small spool of specially designed, specifically tested American Fishing Wire...5m (several seasons worth) of bite proof made in the USA known quality wire for my terminal connection...and, while my line is strained tight, I'll not be wondering how much I could have saved by going to a craft store and leaving with all those buck buck$ in my pocket...and/or wondering how big the lost monster might have been had she not separated at the terminal loop knot...
To each their own...your money, your choice!
Call me crazy but...
After almost 30 years of sitting at the pointy end of Air Force planes sticking my butt in harms way...I was not always confidently encouraged by the fact that all the parts were built and assembled by the lowest bidder...if given the choice...
I'll opt/splurge on the $10 insurance policy...and enjoy the warm fuzzy...
IMHO...Life is too short to drink cheap beer...

flydoc
06-26-2004, 05:23 PM
I'm with you Pete- I am more than willing to splurge on fluorocarbon leaders (to the tune of about $3.50 each) to get that extra measure of strength AND stealth. They charge me that much for the flies, anyway....
Doc Shep