For Pete Grey, "The Nose Knows" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: For Pete Grey, "The Nose Knows"

striblue
06-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Spoke with Penguin this morning and he tells me he had his nose broken to correct problems from three previous breaks, one in Desert Storm, the other fishing for Halibut in Alaska, and the last one, which is really good, was when a guy fell on his face while he was laying down on a rough trip back from blue water fishing . Oh God!.....so now he looks like Mr. Gittis (Jack Nicholson) in the movie "Chinatown". I had to post this, it is too much. Seriously, I hope you get better, and i will see you tomorrow.......P.S. hey Pete, did the Halibut fall on your face too??? :wink:

Adrian
06-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Holy "extreme makeover" batman :eek:

More like "...thuh doze doze...." I guess, Ouch!!!

I trust that the re-engineered appendage is as efficient at sniffing out big moma schnauzers as its predecessor. :smokin:

Dble Haul
06-24-2004, 09:40 AM
Pete, I hope you have a speedy recovery. Get back out there soon! :)

Penguin
06-24-2004, 11:07 AM
When the wrapper and packing are removed...
It's going to be a...
Mike Tyson or a Brad Pitt or a Jimmy Durante noze of distinction!
Oh God...PLEASE...not a Slick Willie schnozzola!!!
I hope to soon be able to sniff out big cruizin' stripes inthedark with my eyes closed just like Luke Skywalker could sniff out trouble...
Weshallsee!

striblue
06-24-2004, 11:18 AM
LOL... WHAT A GREAT PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: Our "Cover Boy" for FFF. Can I autograph the bandage...Please???? Pete..take a pic with the Other teeth..... so I can save these...

BigDave
06-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Chick magnet #1 has taken it to the NEXT LEVEL!

Love the spectacles! :chuckle: :hihi: :eek:

FredA
06-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Oh my god!!

Nick
06-24-2004, 11:38 AM
Wow Pete, looks like a HUGH improvement over before! That guy should be praised! :razz:

LOL- Here's to a speedy recover to the sand flats!

Nick

Dble Haul
06-24-2004, 11:50 AM
If the Forum were to ever consider an IPO (see Cabela's thread in Worldwide Discussion), that picture should be included with every investor prospectus.

How could we go wrong?

craig
06-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Hoping for a speedy recovery and some fast healing too!

Great pic's as usual!

kush
06-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Pete,

Last thursday I had my septum "undeviated" - I feel your pain :Eyecrazy: I needed to correct 7 breaks! I don't know if I can chronicle them all, but the first is noteworthy. I was 6 years old and for some reason - likely only known to 6 year old boys - I decided to sprint from one end of our house to the other - with the lights out! I did fine until I was passing through my bedroom heading for the playroom when my somewhat impressive flight was interrupted by the fully closed door to the playroom!

The other 6 breaks were from sports, a couple from football, but most from basketball. At 6'2" and 205 lbs (in those days) I took great pleasure in terrorizing the big guys into being aware of where I was at all times ... occassionally they would even remember to lower their elbows as I came by - so I did indeed have need for some re-adjustment!

Unlike you, I did not need packing, instead I had internal splints. Interestingly the damage seemed relatively minor. I got the splints out yesterday I'm breathing great and I never did develop black eyes - I guess they learned something from the other 7 breaks! The photo below shows the visage on the first day home - it is a self portrait as no one else could stand to look long enough!

So Pete, next summer when Sandi and I pay our return visit to the Cape and Area 61 you and I can ditch her and head out on the town with our new-look noses!

striblue
06-24-2004, 01:51 PM
This thread is too much...who else has a broken nose and do you have photo's. That's a great profile Kush, and seriousness of purpose in the look.... the nose looks good too.... does anyone have a picture of a nose where the job was botched?

DFix
06-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Hope you both feel better soon. Good Luck.

(Pete- don't let John near you with a marker pen or you'll look like some island warrior out of Gilligan's Island! :whoa: )

jfbasser
06-24-2004, 01:58 PM
I just met a georgous fllyfisherwoman that was interested in finding a flyfisherman to share some time. I said that I may know of someone. She said to send the most recent photo that I knew of to her. I did a search of Penquin photos by date and hit send. She is not interested :D

kush
06-24-2004, 02:01 PM
Here's one for you...

striblue
06-24-2004, 02:07 PM
I like this one better:

Dble Haul
06-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Kush, thanks for the latest image. I never knew that Diana Ross had so much facial hair. :eek:

FishHawk
06-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Next thing you know the Penguin will appear on Oprah Show as the AC130 pilot who got an extreme make over paid for by the USAF Retired Officers Fund .Which every new pilot in his squadron had to contribute to.
FishHawk :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

rooster
06-24-2004, 04:45 PM
It looks like Pete is going for the John Kerry look!
Cheers,
DK

flydoc
06-24-2004, 04:49 PM
My personal favs are (1) Ben Affleck in "Pearl Harbor" (passed out after getting a shot in the keester, and whammed the snoz on the table edge on his way down; later has his bandaged nose popped by a champagne cork), and (2) a former pt of mine, who after having surgery for sinuses and deviated septum, got clocked in her bandaged nose by her aggresive 4 year-old boy...OUCH!!! :Eyecrazy:
Doc Shep

FredA
06-24-2004, 06:11 PM
"The Kerry Look"?
There is a resemblance isn't there. Hoprfully the beak correction will fix that.

Thought I saw Kerry joggin on a beach around xmas time. Turned out to be some nut trying to fly.

rooster
06-24-2004, 08:49 PM
Wonder if the Penguin inherited billion$, also. Looks and money!!!
No wonder he has all that high tech stuff!
DK

Penguin
06-25-2004, 06:26 AM
Are killin' me!
'hurts when I laugh...

I have been accused of displaying a certain likeness to the pompous French looking cheese eating pride of the liberals, Senator Kerry...
After which, as soon as I return home, I'll crank up Mr "FlowBee" (precision hair cutting system), set it on short, and modify my Kerryesque grooming appearance...
The new and improved functional schnoz may help...one can only hope!?
As far as the abundance of "high tech toyz"...no wife to say HELL NO! and no college tuition to divert my financial resources...WeBeToyz!
Although I am considering sending Lucy Lu Poochbelly the MoochPooch to a private institution of higher learning for her Captains 6-pack ticketl

Speaking of NEW TOYZ...(20' Hydra-Sport BayBolt)...the phish can swim but they can't hide...

rooster
06-25-2004, 10:23 AM
So that's my problem..., mortgage, wife, one in college, one more getting ready for college.....,
Nice boat..., is the 50mm hidden some where in the bow or are the rockets the portable type?
Hope the nose feels better.
No more Kerry jokes, we might have hit a nerve.
Hope all is going well.
DK

fliboy
06-27-2004, 06:39 PM
This thread is a hoot! But all kiddin' aside - Pete - I hope you make a quick recovery.

Dave

Penguin
06-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the good will and kind words!
The bandages come off on Tuesday...
The snorkel will have an official "coming out" when the non-recreational pain drugs are discontinued.
...maybe they'll finally remove what feels like an ice pick that's sticking me in my phrontal lobe?!
The good news...I haven't been accused of resembling a certain French looking cheese eating Senator since the project started... :chuckle:

rooster
06-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Which cheese eater might we be talking about?
:razz:
There are so many to choose from!