Marthas Vineyard questions??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Marthas Vineyard questions???

capt_gordon
06-22-2004, 02:19 PM
I am thinking about taking up a friend of mines offer and going on up to his place in MV in October. Interested in fishing for bass from the beach. Never gotten anything respectable that way. Is October a good time of year for that. Is the striper fishing still good after the derby is over? Not really interested in false albacore. I get my fill of that around here. Would be willing to trade an albie trip in my home area for some striper fishing on MV.

juro
06-23-2004, 08:01 PM
Hi Gordon -

Most of us "tourists" are off the island by October, but not all. The statistics say alchoholism and infidelity are high on the islands over the winter... sounds like fun, eh? :lildevl:

Seriously, there are waves of bass and blues moving by thru October. You should have no problem finding some striper action. If you do, just take the ferry over to our side and fish with us - but I highly doubt you will need to.

The migration will be in full tilt and the fish are moving in hordes with a sense of urgency only interrupted by the constant busting on juvie bunker along the way. It's really quite a sight to behold.

You will be in for some very good action, just make sure you know where the migratory pathways are and get in their way. Stay mobile to 'track' them on their way and you should see lots of action.

doogue
06-26-2004, 09:12 AM
Gordon,

I just got back from a week in Martha's Vineyard. October should be a great time for cow bass and there are plenty of spots to choose from in your quest for cows.

If you buy the book "Striper Hot Spots" by Frank Daignault then he gives good walking directions to Lobsterville Beach, certain Wasque rips, Squibnocket and Menemsha. Lobsterville is a great fly fishing spot with a rip and sandbars, Wasque is an impressive and forceful rip with lots of moving water and Squibnocket is a rock garden. Menemsha can just plain be hot near the jetties on an outgoing tide.

Between these three spots you should be all set!

Good luck,

Mike

Adrian
06-26-2004, 09:36 AM
Gordon

I just got hold of a copy of "Reading the Water" by Robert Post. Its a reprint of a 1988 book about the legendary Vineyard old-timers based on interviews and anecdotes. Loads of wonderful stuff about the famous Derby, all the specific locations, techniques, time of year etc. Scary thing is back then a 35lb striper (thats 35 pounds, NOT 35 inches) was considered a "reasonable" fish.

Its available on Amazon and I'd recommend it! :smokin: