Help Planning a Trip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Help Planning a Trip

TomSwango
06-22-2004, 11:11 AM
My wife and I travel fulltime in a RV. We just started flyfishing last month in the "Great Smokey Mountains National Park" and loved it. We are now getting ready to move on a would like suggests and advice on planning the next year.

We would appreciated suggestion on the best fly fishing spots in the US and Canada. If you were planning a year long flyfishing trip starting from Smokey Mountains National Park in Tenn. What would your route be.

Thanks

juro
06-23-2004, 02:57 PM
If you're headed west, I would definitely include the rockies for trout of course, but then delve into the search for the trout's equivalent to sasquatch - steelheading in the wilds of British Columbia, Washington and Oregon in the fall. Then for winter cruise down the gold coast to fish the Baja for roosterfish, mahi mahi; then crossing over into the gulf for big reds and tarpon, to the keys for bones and permit in early spring, then up to striper country on Cape Cod for late May and June. Continue up through Maine for wild brookies, then to New Brunswick and perhaps the Gaspe region of Quebec for some of the top Canadian atlantic salmon fishing in summer.

You are very fortunate to have this opportunity and make sure you keep us fully informed as you make this circuit!