Up for grabs, AKA: sharing the wealth [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Up for grabs, AKA: sharing the wealth

Bunny Leech
06-22-2004, 10:58 AM
This morning I had the pleasure of casting a line with some good friends in the presence of a beautiful sunrise on a pristine NW river. With nary a metal head or golden bone in sight it was still a glorious start to the day.

However this discourse is less about fishing and more about giving back. Let me explain. Upon stowing the rods and preparing to leave I spotted a perfectly good pair of Simms wading boots out of the corner of my eye...right there in the road. Being a man of simple means I hardly see the need for me to lavish another pair on myself even though they look to be only moderately worn and approximately my size (10 or so). Consequently I decided to put them up on e-Bay. But before I do that I'd like to offer them up to the readers here in the forum first. Here's the deal:

I'll run a simple thread based auction here for one day. Possibly longer if the bidding gets good and it looks like I can make a haul.

Bid shall be made in US currency OR appropriate fly fishing related equipment including but not limited to the following:

Leader material
Fly tying material
Hooks (spey)
Dink floats
Floatant
Corkies
Hand tied flies (only good ones that work please)
Sharp fillet knife
Kaufmans fishing hole maps for Seattle area
Silver naked ladies for mudflaps (mine bounced off a while back)

There is no reserve so have at it. Shipping will be added to the winning bid.

Happy bidding and good fishing!

sinktip
06-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Sweet deal! Sometimes the good lord just leaves things to be found. Here's hoping you get some return out of your investment. Simms is pretty prestigious tackle so not to be a snob but I think I might have to bid on them.

Big K1
06-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Bunny,

Could you stretch those out to a twelve? I just got a new set of silver naked lady flaps so I don't think I will part with those. How about I open the bidding with some good old fashioned but still highly useful red and white bobbers.

Kevin

Bunny Leech
06-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Way to step up Kevin. To tell you the truth bobbers sometimes get hung up on the line as they don't turn over all that well. At the same time they are about the only thing that will hold up a flyline when dredging for kings with a couple ounces of lead. You may be in business!

OC
06-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Ya See Bunny,
What did I tell you about red and white bobbers this morning at 0415.

sinktip
06-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Would you be interested in a blonde wig, an assortment of marabou jigs and a bag of smoked golden bonefish?

Bunny Leech
06-22-2004, 12:14 PM
A wig...hmmm. Throw in a single malt (partial bottle OK) or some apple brandy and that would be a worthy offering.

Big K1
06-22-2004, 01:00 PM
It looks like Tip has raised the bar. I don't think I can compete with the undisputed king of the goldenbone but here it goes. 1 Elvis wig, 2 red and white bobbers and 1 half empty or half full airport bottle of Dalwhinnie.

Kevin

jjohnson
06-22-2004, 01:06 PM
How about a couple of Tips secret golden bone files tied with 1\4 inch lead and a mustad treble hook, some beaver repelent for those early morning walks, and a link to the latest escaped inmate information.

JJ

mattzoid
06-22-2004, 02:05 PM
I made me some special fly tyin’ lures that I could part with. They is buzz bombs I soak in super glue from Wall Mart, then I rolls ‘em around in feathers and other scraps from fly tyin’. I don’t make ‘em too often cuz it takes so long fer the feathers and hair to come off my fingers. Got it down to an art form where I only use one hand to roll ‘em around, but then it looks like I’m wearin’ a multicolored glove on one hand. Kinda like Michael Jackson. When I meet folk, I hafta put that hand in my pocket and shake with the other for about a week.

Also, I got lucky and found me some road kill this morning. Most of them maggots squirted out when I ran over it so it’s pert near clean. I best get it to ya quick tho’. The dog looks like he is going to commence to struggling with me for a taste of that possum.

Let me know what yer thinking.

sinktip
06-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Wow Mr. Leech, it appears that you have some decisions to make. I am fresh out of Apple Brandy I am afraid. I would be willing to throw in a rough cut of my video I was working on before I dropped the project.

Before I do, have these boots been treated well? I don't want to lay out a small fortune only to find that they were used in commission of a crime or to chase young girls or anything like that. How would you describe how they smelled?

OC
06-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Sinktip,

Just glad you wern't wearing them when you squeezed that one out and down your waders early this morning!

Big K1
06-22-2004, 03:50 PM
I hate it when that happens. Better outside the waders than in.
Hey Leech maybe tip will throw in some slightly soiled waders also.

Kevin

KerryS
06-22-2004, 04:46 PM
After searching behind the seat of the broken down 73 Chevy pickup abandoned in the backyard I managed to find a few items to trade. A half empty bottle of MD20/20 found at C-Post in 1987. A very good year I might add. A 10 WT Type 6 sink tip with cracked coating dredged from Faber’s Landing. And finally a 3 inch strike indicator pilfered from a jigflybobberman at Fortson last summer.

OC
06-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Ok, ok, ok, they are my wading boots, I confess I left them there, right on the road by the truck. Bunny leech I don't owe you anything after letting you fish with sinktip and me. Heck the philosophic discussion on why Sharpie out fishes all of us combined was worth just giving them back for free. Where else can you get at 4:10 in the morning the Tip singing like Neil Young with a Donna Summers disco beat, " Bend over and low hole me". Where I ask. I think we were pretty good to you seeing you have not showed up once in 18 months to fish with us at the jungle. Sinktip got you in safe to the river in the dark and I fed you full good words about how escaped prisioners with their flytying feathers of jungle cock are not interested in your very vocal personal fears.

Truth be known I left the boots there on purpose and you know why? Remember on the way back to the trucks and we were walking down the side channel and sinktip went over to investigate those fresh barefoot prints in the sand? Well right then I got a real strong feeling someone had their eye on you in a real serious kind of way. At first I thought it was Charlie again as he seemed everywhere just like in 72. I was really worried by then about all the aftershave lotion you had on just to go fishing and now I was worried about your well being out here in the jungle. Just after we entered the 6 foot tall grass and sinktip climbed over and slid down the otherside of that poached Asian Elephant with with missing tusks did I realize what kind of trouble you were in. Me and sinktip eyed each other with a nervous glance so you would not freak out. But we now both knew it was not charlie who left those bare foot prints in the sand or killed the elephant but SEAN! Do you realize how much trouble you were in? At first I was sure that Leland might be there too but then I realized they did not work together and hell Leland don't get up till at least 9:30 anyway. When we made it safely back to the trucks and my window was open yet my door was locked then I knew Sean had been tracking you from before first light. I had to do something extrordinary for your future safety so I left my boots for Sean. You know the natives can't resist wearing western dresses and wading shoes, I suggest you leave that beautiful long blonde wig of yours there next time you go if you want to be safe.

So give me back the boots or bring them back to the river where Sean is as busy as a beaver setting pungi sticks and carving chunks of raw elephant meat with a stick for dinner for him and leland. What did Sinktip and I ever do to you!

It was good to see you again and fish with you but please next time leave your fears at home and when you see a gate open leave it open, know what I mean!

Bunny Leech
06-22-2004, 05:35 PM
OC,

It seems you intercepted the half airline bottle of booze and MD20-20 before it was properly delivered. I can think of no other reason for your psychodelic stream of consciousness.

Here's the bad news: you're going to have to win the boots fair and square. I can tell you want them really badly, so badly that you are claiming to have lost your own. If I recall correctly you yourself chastised me recently for leaving my reel behind (something I did five or six years ago) so I know you would never make a mistake like that because there is no way that I'd ever believe you to be a hypocrite. I do appreciate the effort, for your post is almost payment in and of itself...but I won't be hanging it on my wall, so don't gloat too long. I think the part where you essentially communicate that I should feel blessed by your presence is where I lose focus and start scratching myself...I mean lose interest.

As for the other offers, I'm simply taken aback. Dead possum, buzz bomb flies, a dink float forceably taken from Sparky. Hey, can I get some epoxy with that cracked 10wt tip?

This auction is the best thing I've done since breakfast, so it's going to continue. I'm currently building a spreadsheet to evaluate each offer and arrive at the winning bid. Considerations include: functionality, edible, cool factor, personality profile, and stank.

Keep 'em comin'!

OC
06-22-2004, 05:44 PM
All I can say Leech is watch where my bare feet end up next time out! Do you know where Sinktip and your kids are at this very moment????

Brian Simonseth
06-22-2004, 06:28 PM
BL

Watch out for E.P., OC, Sean they do; well I say different things to people!
Then you have that guy from down SOUTH (EXPERT in the WOODS) he is TROUBLE!
Your running with a rough crowd!

:eek:

Sharp Steelie
06-22-2004, 07:08 PM
BL - will have to send you some "Sharpie Mo Jo" LOL. Oh well -
think they are to large - better just pass them back to OC.

:hihi:

Bunny Leech
06-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Thank you SS for your mindful offer. I was worried for a spell that the auction was getting off track. I mean hey, I'm a simple guy just trying to do a good thing here and suddenly I'm wondering, "where ARE my kids?" "this is not my beautiful house...this is not my beautiful wife!"

Tip, those boots are worth every bit of your offer. Sure, they smell a little like that possum pancake I'm eying, but that can't be any worse than what happened in your drawers.

OC, how can I be sure the boots are yours? For the right bid they can be. Don't you have some striper flies or sniffing epoxy you want to share? Epoxy, oooooh...

Ok, back to my spreadsheet. MoJo = Stank.

MJC
06-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Don't be hasty. I am thinking of bidding a desk figurine of an eagle holding a flyrod in it's talons and/or a monogramed fur trimmed jock strap. :whoa: :Eyecrazy: :whoa:

Moose
06-22-2004, 09:29 PM
I've gone through my treasure chest and am willing to part with the following for the fine footware at auction:

A plastic dashboard Jimmy Houston bobble head doll that saya "HOO BOY, got me a BIGUN" whenever you hit a bump.

A single unwrapped Trojan left over from 1982 (The year I got married).

Scale model Marlboro racing casket.

An Umpqua style swimming frog made entirely of hair from my dog.

A single snarl of line containg aproximately 187 miscellaneous hooks, lures and shot from the bottom of the tackle box I used when I was 12.
:smokin:

MJC
06-22-2004, 11:32 PM
You got some pretty good treasures there. As a reformed tourney fisherman from a past life I can really apreciate the "JH" bobble head doll.

NrthFrk16
06-22-2004, 11:51 PM
BL-
I take it you aren't in search of little bit o' good kharma?!?!?

An honorable man would of first posted a found ad on the Forum etc. before putting the recently lost boots on Ebay or up for grabs on the Forum.

What would the rightful owner think when he found out his beloved Simms boots were being traded for dink floats, corkies etc.?

;)

Moonlight
06-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Wow I have had several pair of those "Simm's" booties I would be more than happy to bid on them I'll tell you what, I saw Pickup full of "Possers" headed west this afternoon I'll bet I can catch them about midday tomorrow100 yards below the launching ramp and sell them those fine boots to go along with there "Hood Mounted Rod Holders & Aluminum Drift Boat"!
Not sure if these guys were Metrosexuals or possers but they surely stood out in the low water and the fact that it was a long way to water from where ever they were coming from! Boy if they had been in a parking lot they would have been beautiful, what a waste! Actually they were west of PA about 1/4 mile headed west?
Anyway I bid nothing you should just give them to me so as to deprive someone else from the trial of dealing with Tansy or whatever her name is over getting your Money back after you wear them out after walking less than 20 miles.
Humorous thread but really does anybody that walks alot really think they get there moneys worth out of any of the brands of wading shoes?
Sorry if I interjected a moment of complacency in our little thread of whimsy.

Bunny Leech
06-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Whoa, a Marlboro Racing Casket? Desktop figurine of an eagle? Mono birds nest decorated with rusty lures? Have I died and gone to heaven? Are you guys really that philanthropic or are you in that dire need of boots? Please, I couldn't live with myself if you went through a terrible case of buyers remorse.

Along with those items I'm really stuck on the wigs. I could be elvis at the put in and Blondie at the take out and I'd have two nice pelts when at home. Is a hair stacker part of the deal? Bobby pins?

Sparky, did you want to make an offer? Something tells me there are more dink floats under the seats of your jeep than at the Outdoor Emporium.

Well, that's about it for this auctioneer today. The eyes are fading and I'm starting to have visions of a bobble-head-dink with a sparky likeness floating down a lazy run through bamboo forests with eyes all around, mojo in the air, possum under foot, and the voice over from an uncut how to video starring Goldenbone echoing hauntingly from behind an elephant. Best be gettin' the lid back on the epoxy.

OC
06-23-2004, 10:07 AM
Good Morning All and you too Leech.

Look Leech I just can't compete with these fellow fishermen when it comes to the bidding on the boots. I called my last 3 slightly used coffee girls and asked them if they were willing to be sold off for the boots. No way there, they are pursuing careers in Hollywood now in the cheap DVD film industry. I thought about giving you my winter supply of epoxy now that the shroom season is here but I used it to fill cracks in the hull of my leaking boat last weekend.

So I loose in the pursuit of a fine pair of boots that are mine to begin with, they were left for Sean so as to save your Butt. Oh by the way, Hey Moonlight, what you do with them possers? Just built a new hitching post in the back yard and could use a couple of possers, what was that Neil Young song Sinktip was singing yesterday morning? Sounds like the Tip found them first Moonlight.

Everyone has offered fine gifts, Kerry had one that I don't know how you could refuse, I wouldn't anyway.

So Bunny Leech it is my hope that the proceeds of this auction will go to the most important organization in the world, The Center for Husbands Who's Wives Only Let Them Fish Four Times A Year. As you have spent many troubled days in and out of this fine hospital you should appreciate all they have done for you and that you seem to be slowly back on the road to recovery. Whats everyone think proceeds of the auction to the center?

I hope all of you are getting out fishing in such wonderful summer weather.

Bunny Leech
06-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Well I suppose if ol' OC can't afford to participate in an auction that requires no money than I oughtta consider getting him some boots. Especially if he's fool enough to leave them in the road...yes right in the middle of the damn road. As a matter of fact I'm not quite sure how he didn't run them over. Musta been lightin' one up for the drive home.

I might even send some epoxy with them for his boat.

Sniff, sniff. (no, I'm not crying)

Bunny Leech
06-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Well I suppose if ol' OC can't afford to participate in an auction that requires no money than I oughtta consider getting him some boots. Especially if he's fool enough to leave them in the road...yes right in the middle of the damn road. As a matter of fact I'm not quite sure how he didn't run them over. Musta been lightin' one up for the drive home.

I might even send some epoxy with them for his boat.

Sniff, sniff. (no, I'm not crying)

Brian Simonseth
06-23-2004, 05:24 PM
OC

I can clean out my Truck, and I'll give you all the change I find?

So you can get those BOOTS!

:hihi: