Rip Trip- Times, Cost, Check list [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip- Times, Cost, Check list


striblue
06-21-2004, 11:48 AM
OK...as of today... we have, Me (striblue), FredA, FlyDoc, CJS60, Fish Hawk, Striperstriper, FlyFreak, JimS, Eddie, and Dave17.......... Alternates are, in order, Brad, Paxton, Juro and nmbrowncom... Again... if we can pull off a SUNDAY trip the alternates are in line first, with Juro leading the group. Brad is out since he is leaving on Sunday and CJS60 wants to go on Sunday also.... We will finalize the Sunday trip near the end of the week. So here is the Drill........

TIMES- Boat leaves promptly at 7AM....we can not wait...unless someone calls the Rip Ryder to explain a problem. Be at the Morris Island Wildlife Refuge at no later than 6:30AM to give us some juggle room if we need a replacement. ALL ALTERNATES SHOULD CALL THE RIP RYDER by 6:30AM in the morning to just check. I will post final info Friday evening . I have to wait to the very last minute after checking with weather with Keith....so check the site late at night OR before you head out in the morning. We can finalize the Sunday trip AFTER the Saturday trip to get a beter handle on the weather......... Keith picks us up at 4 PM ...the drop off is about a mile from the southern point and the rip. DISCLOSURE>>> If for some reason the SW winds begin to build during the day such that Keith Thinks he will have problems on the pick up he will call and pick us up asap before the end of the day...IF WE MISS A PICKUP WINDOW such that Keith can not pick us up because of the conditions we will have to walk to the northern point which is about 8 miles. This is a REAL hike!..I beleive it is highly unlikely that this will occur. If you think you CAN NOT walk the distance let me know now...NOT then.. It would be my plan to monitor weather conditions carefully to make sure Keith can get down before any problem arises. I hope this is clear.

COST- the Boat costs $300.... $30 dollars each payable to me that morning. I will gather the money and pay Keith before we go.

CHECK LIST- Most of you already know this stuff, but lets run though it. Basically you need to bring everything you think you will need for a full day of fishing without access to your car for additional Supplies. But Most important...TRAVEL LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the list is a guide...not cast in concret.

1.Hat
2. Polarized Sunglasses.
3. First Aid kit- small pack.
4. Tippet material, Extra fly line.
5. Pliers.
6. Knife.
7. Compass or GPS---although not critical unless you fish the flats on the west side.
8. Knot Tool if you need that.
9. Sunscreen, lip balm and Bug spray.
10. Hook Sharpener.
11. Clippers.
12. tape measure.
13. Cell phone AND Walkie Talkie. This comes in handy when our groups split up and can report on the action or conditions. We will set a channel for all walkie talkies before we head out.
14. Tigur Wire or some wire in the event we have Blue Fish.
15. Binoculars...if you want.
16. Toilet Paper.... or you can use what FredA uses...Pinecones. :wink:
17. Light rain Jacket... and polar tech sweatshirt..or the like.
18. Water that you will need.
19. .... and your LUNCH.....
20.... Finally...one or two of us should bring an extra fly rod in the potential chance that someone breaks a rod. As I said before, if we don't that person will have to take turns with some of us...or go bird watching, looking for snakes or just catching some rays and beachcombing. :rolleyes:


We will decide if we should get together after for a cook out or if I can get the back room at the Squire. ... that's all i can think of right now

striblue
06-21-2004, 12:36 PM
P.S..... I lost the site for weather...does anyone have a Cape weather site that has extended forcasts??????

Penguin
06-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Bite Wire!
I've had a case of the Blues to 12# from the Sound off Dennis/Harwich...


http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/public/local_index.asp?thisZip=02633&btnZip=Go&nav=marine

striblue
06-21-2004, 01:50 PM
As of Today...Saturday looks like this...Day
Chance for a bit of rain or drizzle in the morning; clouds breaking for some sun
High 70° F
Maximum RealFeelŽ 69° F
RealFeel ShadeŽ 65° F
Winds S at 13 mph
Wind Gusts 27 mph
Maximum UV 5
Thunderstorm Probability 11%
Amount of Precipitation 0.00 in
Amount of Rain 0.00 in
Amount of Snow 0 in
Hours of Precipitation 0
Hours of Rain

flydoc
06-21-2004, 01:58 PM
John- I've always found the weather forecasts on Yahoo to be reasonably accurate, and they update fairly frequently. I'm planning on bringing both my Atlantis (to fish the rip) and my Sage 9wt (to switch to the flats if the rip doesn't produce, or if I just want to work on my double haul). I'll bring both intermediate and sinking lines for the 9wt, so someone could use it for the rip in the event of an emergency. For the Atlantis, I'm going with the Airflo DI-7 sinking head and Airflo 30# intermediate running line. Juro (thanks buddy!) checked me out on the Atlantis Saturday- I'm getting there, but still have lots of homework (or should I say "yard" work) to do to get the casting stroke down to where I can pitch past 100 ft. without hooking the line (something Juro found I have a tendency to do with both rods). I found the cross-body stroke a little tough, so I'm probably going to have to work on a left-handed cast with the Atlantis (and maybe with the 9wt, while I'm at it) to deal with those annoying crosswind situations. I probably strong-arm the cast a bit less with the left side, a problem I need to remedy with my strong side casts (again, with some helpful tips I got from Juro yesterday).

Although I didn't land any fish with Juro yesterday (due to my not setting the hook fast enough on several nibbles), we had a great time on a gorgeous day, spotted hoards of fish (with some turning away just 4-5 feet from our boots), and had a blast (apart from the one jackass who ran across my line with his boat at full throttle...where's Penguin when you need him?). Definitely plan on going out with him again before the season's out.....hopefully with a well-practiced, refined casting stroke on both rods under my belt....
Doc Shepherd

striblue
06-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Shep...sounds like you are on the correct path here... I will check yahoo as well...not to happy with what I see right now...but looks ok with a southerly wind...don't like 27 mph gusts though... but it is still early and a south wind would be great.

FredA
06-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Pine Cones! Better than the Leaves of Three that you told Fluff Fix to use.

Penguin
06-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Don't forget the...
Audubon Amazon Chic Be Gone spray! :Eyecrazy:

striblue
06-21-2004, 03:31 PM
I am bringing a mini camp expresso maker ...with mini cups I got at REI. :hihi:

FishHawk
06-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Here is what I got from the NOAA Marine site.
SAT
SW WIND 15 TO 20 KT...DECREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN THE
EVENING...THEN BECOMING W AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. A CHANCE
OF SHOWERS.
We should be ok as long as the wind doesn't increase. The expresso will taste great . FishHawk

FredA
06-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Anybody needing shelter Friday night, I'll have room in Dennis.

Dble Haul
06-22-2004, 07:52 AM
John, don't forget to treat the guys to a demo of your fish finder.

That is, of course, if they can find you in your invisible waders.

striblue
06-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Thanks for reminding me Mark!........ Also, bumping this up again...to keep it current. Also..for those who are going for the first time...check out the reports and the multiple photo's from Juro, Marvin, Roop etc. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/Pointrip2000/ripjournal.htm

striblue
06-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Bump...just moving this up again.

flydoc
06-23-2004, 09:51 PM
John- looking like showers Saturday morning...if that forecast holds for Saturday but Sunday looks like a gem, what will be the plan? I'm open for either day, but would rather go on the nicer of the two days, if possible.
Doc Shep

Dave17
06-23-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm free for both days as well

striblue
06-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Doc...we will talk it over with Keith, keep in mnd... the final go will occur late Friday night...so check the board and also check it before you head out in the morning...if showers are predicted ...But I think the showers are to end mid-morning and the wind is down, and the sun is to come out later...we go... I think it's "scattered "showers... which means we may not even have any and if we do it may be light and intermittent.

striblue
06-24-2004, 02:17 PM
The weather as of right now looks like rain and T-storms in the morning...but wind is down substantially , 4mph, with prediced sun in the afternoon... Sunday looks like a clear start with winds up to 11 mph and gusts to 27 mph. Again , lets keep a watch on it and Keith will decide.

FishHawk
06-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Just checked NOAA. SAT
S WIND AROUND 10 KT. SEAS AROUND 2 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS
WITH AREAS OF FOG. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM IN THE MORNING.

Looks good as of this forcast. FishHawk

Paxton
06-25-2004, 03:34 PM
John,
Regretably, something has come up this weekend, that I must attend to. Please give my alternate spot for both days, to the next person in line. If the trip doesn't go off either day, please keep me on the list for whenever it is rescheduled. I will try to avoid the unpredictable from happening again.
With this behavior....I will never earn the fez :(
I appreciate all the work you have done to get this great experience off the ground and running. I was really looking forward to my first trip there.
Good luck to all that go!!!!!
Ron

Rip Ryder
06-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Hi Guys,

Don't bother call the Rip Ryder by 6:30am no one will answer. The phone rings at Admiral Eds and he will not be up that early and turns the phone off for the tourists calling in the wee hours looking for information. You would be surprised!!!

Capt Keith