another tiger trout [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: another tiger trout

SDHflyfisher
06-20-2004, 11:52 AM
caught another tiger trout this morning on the same body of water as the last one this one was caught on fly and is noticably larger then the other one

caught on an olive scud

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/023704.JPG

MCorder
06-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Pretty fish!!

flyfisha1
06-20-2004, 03:27 PM
What a beautilful fish; it's really a shame that they're not able to reproduce. From what I're read, Wisconsin leads the charge in getting the most fry to survive, and it seems that regardless, you should consider yourself pretty lucky to have caught two of these rare fish. Now, if you were fising in waters that had just been stocked with them... that would lower the odds a tad. Lovely color pattern on the one you're holding!

LabanTayo
06-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Beautiful fish. Is it a variant of a brookie? I have never heard these guys before, but they're beautiful!!

ashbourn
06-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Why can't they reproduce???

ashbourn
06-21-2004, 08:24 PM
They are a hybrid between a male brown trout and a female brook trout

flyfisha1
06-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Correct; the problem is that the two species hail from different genus and have different numbers of chromosomes, so the progeny are all sterile.

SDHflyfisher
06-22-2004, 08:37 PM
yep cross between brookie and brown

just so happens that wisconsin does have a lot of them and i am a member of a wisflyfishing board and many of us there have caught tiger trout

one bonus of living in wisconsin :hihi:

striperstripper
07-12-2004, 06:43 PM
I know this is an old thread ,I just wanted to comment on the fact that because they don't reproduce, all of their energy goes into eating and growing ,and it is generally believed that because of that fact they should reach respectable sizes in shorter time than other species of trout.I live on mashpee-wakby lake in Ma. and have seen some very large tiger trout pulled out. :whoa:

flyfisha1
07-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Interesting; I had not heard that the fish don't try to reproduce. I would think that they do attempt to reproduce, however none of the eggs are able to be fertilized. If they didn't try to reproduce, it would suggest that their inability to do so infulences the most basic of needs: procreation. In this event, yes, the fish would feed year 'round without taking a break, but this seems very unlikely. I'll have to look into this more, now I'm curious.

silverdoc
07-12-2004, 09:54 PM
What a beautilful fish; it's really a shame that they're not able to reproduce. From what I're read, Wisconsin leads the charge in getting the most fry to survive, and it seems that regardless, you should consider yourself pretty lucky to have caught two of these rare fish. Now, if you were fising in waters that had just been stocked with them... that would lower the odds a tad. Lovely color pattern on the one you're holding!

Chris:
Years ago, WI stocked tigers in Lake Mich., but the program was dropped because of poor returns(to the creel).
The tigers found in the inland creeks are NOT stocked, but a result of naturally occurring cross breeding. I expect that the DNR's brook trout re-hab program will eventually produce more tigers, just by having more brookies out there trying to spawn.