Comments about new forum [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Comments about new forum

sean
06-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Just wanted to start an open ended thread for people to bring up problems, suggest improvements, or ask questions about the new software we are using. Just post em here and we will do our best to answer them.

-sean

North Island
06-19-2004, 12:06 AM
I liked the old icons for . . .

no new posts

The fly and the fish

Cheers N I

PS other than that it's great

sean
06-19-2004, 01:49 AM
OK the fly and fish are back but I may have screwed them up...

Now which one was for new posts?

Now I have it so the fish signifies new posts in a thread but maybe it was the other way around...

juro
06-19-2004, 06:23 AM
You got it right! THanks Sean.

BTW - It would be great to be able to click on the fish to get to the last unread post as opposed to that little tiny blue down arrow thing.

I suppose the fly would go to the thread since there is no unread thread, or it could link to most recent.

MJC
06-19-2004, 06:11 PM
I really appreciate all the work you put in on this changeover. At 3:30 AM my first impression of the new format was "what the hell is this guy thinking" but now I'm really liking it. I still don't see any fish and fly, only the little bulletin board logo. Everything seems to be working quite well, so I'm saying Thank You for a job well done.
Take care, MJC

Bob Pauli
06-19-2004, 07:32 PM
The new format is an improvement, many thanks. One thing I immediately liked was the "no new post" single note on board and "new post" being two notes on board. I never did, and do not now, understand the fly and fish thing. Please educate me.

A favorite feature of the old format was the "new posts since last visit" item located at the top right of the Fly Fishing Forum page. Where is it in the new format?

Bob

sean
06-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Glad you guys are liking the changes. I like them and there is still a ton of functionality we have yet to leverage with the new software.

As far as the fish and fly.

The fly means no new posts in that thread since your last vist.

The fish means there have been new posts since your last visit in that thread.

As far as getting new posts since you last visit. On the top nav nar you will see a bunch of options like:

User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

Click on New Posts and that should get you what you are looking for.

Let me know if that helps,

-sean

flyfisha1
06-19-2004, 11:33 PM
I have found a couple of instances where there was no e-mail notification to threads that I had subscribed to, even after there had been a couple of responses.

It will take us all some time to get used to the new format, but overall it looks much more streamlined and I'm sure it will be very useful.

NrthFrk16
06-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Sean-
Everything looks pretty darn cool. However, could you adjust the so that my scroll horizontal scroll bar doesnt pop up....or maybe I just need to adjust my resolution??
\
btw-When you going to stop by and pick up that Carron that Andre dropped off...I keep eyeing it? I am very tempted to run out to the parking lot and give it a whirl!! :devil: ;)

sean
06-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Hey Ryan what is your resolution at?

Oh my Carron...I almost forgot. I cannot get over until next Friday and you are more than welcome to cast it and even take it fishing if you get out before then.

-sean

rooster
06-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Hey Sean,
Super format. Took me a little time to figure things out, but I like it.
Great to see you at the Springclave.
Late May and early June were awesome.
Now back in Sacto.
Cheers,
DK

NrthFrk16
06-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Sean-
That is a 10/11 right?? Given what I've regarding the Carron and the characteristics of the DBF...I'm sure that 10/11 Carron would be a great match on that rod! And thanks for the offer!!...I'll do a favor for 'ya and only cast it on water...not on the parking lot! ;)

btw-I am running 800x600? What are most websites designed around nowadays?

sean
06-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Yep it is the 10/11 and do gve it a try. Sans concrete will be appreciated :tongue:

Oh bump your res up to 1024X768. May take a little bit to get used to but most sites will look better IMHO.

-sean

Slinger
06-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Is there any differance between the quick reply and the regular reply function? If yes, what? I hate change.
Slinger

FishHawk
06-20-2004, 09:53 AM
You mentioned spell check , I would like to see that again.
FishHawk :D

Willie Gunn
06-20-2004, 11:32 AM
Steve,
The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth, or so my wife keeps telling me. You should embrace change apparently.

North Island
06-20-2004, 11:50 AM
the "on line now" button is a cool idea

N I

Mean Mr Mustard
06-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Appearance wise - it is a nice improvement.

Performance wise - it's a dog; it takes 4 - 5 times as long to load (bad news for us upstream surfers with a 22k connection, at best - thanks Verizon for the great phone lines!). Somehow I had gotten the former version to not load the "Top Stories" column and accompaning ad (why the Top Stories when they are usually always out of date?) and the forum was considerably faster upon loading.

Not dissing your efforts, Sean, but you did ask for comments, etc.

mmm

MJC
06-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Somehow I had gotten the former version to not load the "Top Stories" column and accompaning ad (why the Top Stories when they are usually always out of date?) and the forum was considerably faster upon loading.

Somehow I was able to do the same thing and I also liked it better with that side bar gone. Problem is I don't know how I got there, only that I liked it.
Take care, MJC

Dble Haul
06-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Am I missing it, or do we still have the "rolleyes" smilie icon?

I like that guy. :)

MJC
06-20-2004, 06:32 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sean
06-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Yeah it was there but you had to hit the more button at the bottom of the smilies. However I just changed it so they all show up. Now you can express your emotions in 31 different ways :)

Spellcheck will be back this week.

The quick post at the bottom of each page is nothing more than a convenience thing if you do not feel like going to the full on text editor to post.

-sean

Dble Haul
06-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Now we have two of them!

:rolleyes: :roll: :rolleyes: :roll: :rolleyes: :roll:

Thanks guys.

Sprocket
06-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Sorry for the cap locks...

I often don't log in but surf using "Today's active posts" or whatever the button was. Is it still around or am I missing it?

sean
06-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Looks for New Posts on the top navigation bar. Right next to Calendar. That will give you new posts since your last visit.

-sean