Bayside (inshore) Bait, Or Lack Thereof??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bayside (inshore) Bait, Or Lack Thereof???

FredA
06-16-2004, 06:35 AM
Admittedly I've been a weekend warrior and I'm not getting the full read of the situation, but I'm struck by the absense of bait. Fishing weekends, I seem to be getting the bad part of the weather cycle. I know from talking to others fishing the same area that some pretty good fishing is going on during the week. Also hear of rafts of big sand eels a little off shore. But usually this time of year you see giant plumes of 1 to 3" sandeels, consistently, in this area. All I'm seeing this year is the occasional one yard diameter bait ball. Has anybody been fishing the bayside on foot regularly and what have you seen for bait?

jimS
06-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Fred, fished one of your bayside stream on the outoging yesterday. Loads of sand eels, some up to five inches. No fish! Looks almost like the summer solstice.

Midcape south is not fishing much better the last few days. A few fish, but nothing like it was last week. Early a.m. seems to be right with the correct tides.

Simms

jfbasser
06-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Fred, since the time I was at your place the other day, which I agree was devoid of bait, I was at two estuaries one further North and the other between the Cape and RI. In both cases, I did not see any bait except for a few chubs.