Streamer stick... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Streamer stick...

flyfisha1
06-15-2004, 01:26 PM
For those of you that have spent some significant time swinging streamers, such as Peter SC... Looking to build a rod for streamers, both cast and trolled, sizes 2-10 on hooks up to 8x long for trout and salmon up to 24" or so in rivers and lakes; must also be able to handle the occasional pike, smallmouth, and coastal stripers in the 16-30" range. I'm thinking a true 8-wt., 10' rod built as a two-hand. Is this too heavy, or just right?

Blanks I'm looking into are the St. Croix SCIII and SCIV, which I think has the right amount of flex and is not too fast to load at shorter distances.

flytyer
06-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Chris,

Having caught a lot of smallmouth, trout, and large pike on a fly, I'd say the 8 wt. would be perfect for your intended purpose. It will be a bit big for the smaller flies; but perfect for the larger ones. And it will have the lifting power to get the bigger fish to hand in a reasonable time.

flyfisha1
06-15-2004, 02:44 PM
I knew I could count on you for some sage advice! After spending the week in Maine, we're headed back up there for another week next Wednesday... I ran out of the flies that the fish were slamming, so have to tie some new ones. The new rod will be for our annual forays into that beautiful state.

Do you have some thoughts on preferred rod action (i.e. faster tip versus more medium-fast action)?

flytyer
06-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Chris,

I always prefer fast-recovery, stiff rods, even in small line sizes unless I'm fishing really small mountain streams where a 15-20 foot cast is normal. This doesn't mean that everyone should run out and buy a fast-recovering, stiff rod though. Get the rod action you prefer because you will find it more pleasurable to use in a days fishing. I'd build it as a single-hand rod though because I don't like 2-hand rods under 12 ft and you already have a T&T 1208, which would be a great 2-hand rod to use for the same fish and fly sizes.

Also, the 10' 8 wt built as a single hand rod would allow you to strip the fly nearly to the rod tip and toss it back out to 60+ feet with a single false cast, and pike are notorius for following a fly nearly to the boat or shore. If built as a 2-hander, that may not be possible.

Dble Haul
06-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Chris, I'd love to hear how the fishing was for you up in Maine. If possible, please provide some details for us in the appropriate forums when you have time.

Thanks. :)