Maine... Life is good [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Maine... Life is good

CascoBay
06-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Hey everyone.. It is AARON from Maine.. It has been a while, on top of the fact that my old username wouldn't log me into the forum.... It was time for a new, more suitable, handle anyway. I hope you guys are doing well, and that the sight fishing has been good.
Maine has been on fire, with bigger fish showing up each day. The estuaries are almost warm enough to entice the cows into grazing on the Green Crabs and a jeuvy sand eels on the sand and mud flats. The Kennebec has have a wonderful run of Alewives and inland tributaries have been ripe for the picking of Stripers that seem to get bigger and bigger with each day they spend with the clouds of Alewives.
Our ocean temps are still a little cold, from Portland and North so the fishing has been consentrated on rivers and estuaries. South of Portland there have been some really good fishing right where the tidal rivers meet the ocean. Seems like all the action has been happening right at the rip on falling tides. Bigger fish are starting to show in the Mousam and Ogunquit...
Although I haven't been down to the Saco river yet... the news has been rolling in that the mackeral are in and big fish are in with a force.
If you are coming up to Maine or live here I am always up for doing some casting. Stay tuned there is more to come.... PS- Thank You Bob Popovics for showing me how to tie the "Hollow Fly" at the LL Bean Fly Fishing Expo back in March... Perhaps one of the best flies I have ever fish!:smokin:

Take it easy,
Aaron
Yarmouth, ME

Dble Haul
06-14-2004, 08:58 AM
It's good to hear that the fishing is going well up there. It bodes well for when I visit my parents a few times a season.

Thanks for the info.