Summer Reading [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Summer Reading

FredA
06-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Looking for some summer reading with local (Cape Cod) flavor.
Anybody read anything by this guy?

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/outdoor/gessner10.htm

I'm expecting a substantial reading list from the Mayor of Chatham.

striblue
06-14-2004, 10:06 AM
No.....But the guy has a walking stick and is wearing a suit on the beach!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: ... Fred There is a book out on the the Cape Baseball league... and a new Martha's Vinyard Mystery by Craig who is a surf fisherman and always puts in a few good recipies...Good beach reading. I have read all of his MV Mysteries. I read a book a week and just finished "Ten Days to D-Day", now it's the" War of the Roses". I usual get most of the Cape Books , both Fiction and non-fiction... I will put a list on from Fishing, to Mysteries, to Nature and History. Looking at one right now on Weather and shipwreaks.

splitshot
06-15-2004, 03:25 AM
no, but i wish dave ames,jennifer olssen, john barsness, john holt, and jessica maxwell would put out more books. i really enjoy all of the stuff they write. just me, call me goofy.

striblue
06-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Never heard of them. What kind of books do they write...is it about flyfishing?

splitshot
06-15-2004, 08:08 PM
they are similar to john gierach in that they write about flyfishing in story form. another good book is green river virgins by paul arnold.

striblue
06-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks

splitshot
06-16-2004, 02:12 AM
i forgot dave ames. his first book was true love and the wooley bugger and his new book is a good life wasted or twenty years as a fishing guide. they are both great books. i need to correct myself, green river virgins was written by mallory burton. paul arnold wrote wisdom of the guides.

striblue
06-16-2004, 08:41 AM
No, Ames is in your original post....

dryflie
06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
While not about the Cape the writer does live there. Try picking up one of the Sharpe's novels by Bernard Cornwell. These are terrific action stories, with about 20 in the series you'll have reading enough to fill the summer and into the fall.

Not fishing or Cape Cod related material just blood and guts historical fiction.

best regards
Al