Fly Fishing Forum banner

My trip to so called "Striper Country"

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  seuss 
#1 ·
I just got back from my first real trip to striper country. Jeff B (seuss) and I spent 2 hard, but beautiful days on south beach and a night by chatam light, plus an afternoon at pleasant bay and tyhe results were not great. I think this striper country ting is a sham. I was expecting being surrounded by stripers on the flats of south beach, and picking fish out of the water. I think I want to sue you all for the false advertising!!! To make matters worse we got word from Juro that one of his clients pulled in a 40 incher just a short walk from where we were. I guess thats just fishing(and inexperience on my part). In all seriousness, I really enjoyed my time in your neck of the woods and special thanks to Jeff for trying really hard to get me my first linesider(which still has yet to occur). Those little buggers are hard to see. I guess I have to come back and try again next season. For now, I'll keep trying to catch those toothy Jersey blue fish. Good luck to everyone out there trying to pull some in.
Triston

#3 ·
It sometimes takes a lot of time on the water before you get into these fish. When you get one you have earned it. I have heard that Muskie fishermen put in 150 hours before they get a fish.
I have had many a trip out on South Beach with nothing to show for it. However, I keep coming back because I like the challenge.
FishHawk:D

#4 ·
All In Good time

Tristan,
I was in your same boat two years ago.... Never had caught a striper period. Walking around at Chatham light and south beach with no luck. Then on my next weekend down there, these guys put me into fish. There is a moment in time where every thing gels and you start seeing the pods of fish.
Keep up the effort... the first one is always the hardest one!!!

Aaron
Yarmouth, Maine

#5 · (Edited)
The problem with this past weekend is two fold...first the North /North east wind has "Always" been a kiss of death.... with a South West in for a few days things get hot...plus the summer migration is almost if not over. The residence fish come in. Two weeks ago, at south beach you pulll fish in at ALL tides. The inside will start to produce but only at certain tides and weather conditions. The Light house will not produce like it did in the past UNTIL the late June crowd finds any potential holes. But the area is filling in at the point and NO striper will get stuck in the outflow if they have no escape route. So, for now... the Chatham landings will produce at an outgoing at dawn.... Evening outgoing has historically not been great. The sand bars out to the left , far out close to the channel Might be the hot spot but it will take a dawn patrol to test it out and find the safe bars to cross to get there onan outgoing. North Monomoy Island WILL start to take the front seat on both incoming and outgoing BUT only at certain locations on each of those tides. Inside South beach will be like North Monomoy... The ocean will start producing, but my guess will be on the outgoing to low... early morning on the ocean is the usual time. Pray for "foggy" mornings on the oceanside at any tide. Boats will start to appear off South beach in 30 foot water and be successful. Mid Day you should find yourself inside South or on North Monomoy....not out at the ocean...depending on tide.... This is all to say that the Late June Rip Trip is right on Schedule...since...on a good day... we will have the right tide and the fishing should be good no matter what time of day on the right tide...which is why we picked those dates in two weeks. Get into your "summer" mode.... the spring is over...IMO.:smokin:

#6 ·
alas, I failed :(

told you you should've hired Juro.

i'd give anything to put back those stripees i caught right in front of you.......NOT!!! :razz:

what can i say, you get what you pay for. next time you might take my advice, skip the free rookie, and hire the fishing ninja.

live and learn.

-S

#7 ·
When Jeff and I go fishing together we rarely have banner days...that is unless the Ninja is with us...or if you count twinkies as making for a banner day.

That describes our exploits on the Cape.

The North Shore during the Fall run is a different story!

And there is no better company when on the water...

#9 ·
I'm sure next time will be better, and Doogue, your right, there is no better company than Suess and his powder energy bars on those slow days on the water. Next time I guess I'm going to have to shell out some bucks for the Ninja. Oh and Doogue, I don't know if Jeff told you, but sorry about Old Salty. Suess, I'd give you another try, rookie or not. Thanks to all for that vote of confidence. We'll still looking for number 1,
Triston

#11 ·
mike, i just didn't know how to break it to you (no pun intended)

suffice to say, triston figured out Old Salty wasn't plastic AFTER acting out his sacrifice to the fishing Gods.

OS is currently in the ICU, needs a fair bit of reconstructive surgery, but (epoxy willing) will live to see another day on the water.

#14 ·
Mark,

Unfortunately no. Wish I could, but will be tied up getting a new business off the ground.

Would love to get out there with you, your pops, and Mike before the close of the season, however. Mike and I reminisce each time we're out there about how we enjoy watching you and your Dad catch fish about as much as pulling a few in on our own.

Enjoy the Vineyard!

S-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.