Fly Fishing Forum banner

Clark's Stonefly

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  thebuddler 
#1 ·
Hey Ya'll,

Has anyone tried "super-sizing" (using Lee Clark's original Rx) Clark's Stonefly for Summer run Steelies or Salmon?

Any feedback would be truly appreciated.

Igor

#2 ·
Igor,

I assume you are speaking about the one tied on a regular shank hook with the twisted polypropolene extended body, elk wing that is tied with a lot of brown hackle at the front. When greased, it floats like a cork. Should work very well on steelhead tied on say a #4 or #6 Tiempco 105 hook as a skater that dances on the hackle tips instead of plowing the surface like a Bomber, Walle Waker, or Lemires Grease Liner.

#3 ·
Hey 'F-T'

Thanks for the feedback! Actually , the Rx I was referring too was the original dressing with the poly-yarn under-wing that 'floats' above and parallel to the tinsel body.

After our discussion the other day on taking Steelies "on the dry" I thought I'd give Mr. Clark's flea a try. Think it'd work on a "light wire" up-eyed Salmon hook?

Igor

BTW - Finally found some Hot Pink GP tippets for the Red Knight! (grin)

#4 ·
Igor,

It should work fine on the true low water hooks, like Alec's River Dee Low Water hook, Veverka's Low Water hook, or the Partridge Wilson. I'd tie it in either #6 or #8 and fish it as a follow-up "eater fly" after getting a rise (or showing) from a steelhead on a Bomber or Waller Waker.

Glad you found some hot pink G.P. tippets. If you ever have a hard time finding G.P. tippet in a color you want, they are very easy to dye. I usually dye 3 or 4 at a time in a dye bath composed of 1/4 teaspoon of a good acid dye (Jacquard's, Wash Fast, Kiton, or Fly Dye), about 1/4 teaspoon of synthrapol, and 2 quarts of water. Use a 1/4 cup of vinegar or a teaspoon of cirtic acid crystals in the dye bath to set the dye. Heat the dye bath to about 170-180 degrees F, stir the tippets once in a while, and in about 20-30 minutes you have beautifully dyed G.P. tippets.

#5 ·
clark stone

I have used the clark stone fished with a fairly sparse hackle,folded back over the deer hair wing, poly yarn over body ,and gold tinsel body. It is a favorite fly to fish for summer steelhead in summer,or fall. I fish it waking low in the water, with a riffle hitch. I have hooked fish on it with golden yellow poly yarn,as the body,and orange yarn as the bodycolor. I believe the yellow gold body imitates hoppers,or golden stones around the rivers in June thrue August,and the orange body imitates the October caddis in Sept.-Nov. It is a great producer for steelhead! :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.