06-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Heading to syracuse for three days and looking for a heads-up as to rivers(Salmon) or shops in the area to stop at. Time will be 28th of July. What can i expect as to runs, etc. Flies, tackle?
Thanks lads, much appreciated.
06-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Time will be 28th of July.
Late July? Probably slim pickings. Salmon River in Pulaski may be your only choice, assuming the meager summer steelhead and atlantic salmon stockings are getting returns. Way too early for kings/cohos. You may want to bring a 5wt and fish for trout/smallies in some of the smaller rivers closer to Syracuse. Try finding a local fly shop in the area and give them a holler! Good luck!
06-23-2004, 10:28 PM
I've never fished it, but if I were in your position I woul look into bass fishing on Oneida Lake.
It's the only game in town, unless you want to go after stream trout... and midsummer is not the best time for that, either.
1. Make sure you READ AND UNDERSTAND THE REGS!
2. Use large stonefly nymphs as bait - as large as size 6. You CAN use "waking flies" (like Bombers and Moose Turds) too.
3. Fish the upper river near the dam - BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE CLOSED SECTION!
4. Don't expect much, but there are usually some Skamies and Atlantics in there, along with some smaller stream trout.
5. Play any fish FAST AND HARD - they are plenty enough stressed just from the warm water. Even reviving 'em well, they still suffer high mortality a day or two later. That's why a lot of guys don't fish for 'em.
06-28-2004, 10:06 AM
I sent you a PM on this.