Chatham/SB Tide Question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham/SB Tide Question

Quentin
06-10-2004, 10:09 PM
At long last I'm plotting my return to the salt. Chatham/SB is first on my list but I need some help with the tides. If I use the Maine Harbors tide charts for Chatham, Inside, do I need to make any time adjustments to calculate tides for the inside of South Beach? Should I use a different chart for that area?

Thanks!

Q

CSJ60
06-10-2004, 10:41 PM
As I recall I think there there is about a 30 to 40 minute delta from outside to inside.

Paxton
06-10-2004, 11:02 PM
Quentin......don't take this as gospel....just my experience this week....I use Maine Harbor sight and check Stage harbor tides(which in the past were a good indicator of SB)....SB appears to be an hour later than Stage Harbor. I talked with Keith and he said that since the opening to the ocean has closed more....he is still trying to figure out the tide difference, but it is different this yr... All I know is that the day I went...low at Stage was to be 11:10......actual Low on SB was around 12....with the change in direction of flow closer to 12:30.
Ron

Quentin
06-11-2004, 06:55 AM
Thanks guys! Hope to see you on the flats before too long!

Q

juro
06-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Approx an hour on the plus side of the Stage Harbor numbers is pretty close while tracking low slack, although I'm not sure there is a possibility of exact prediction nor need for it.

Days with strong wind (northeast 10-15 wind tomorrow) influence not only the incoming but the outgoing as well. Predictions are not precise so the best approach is to use Stage to get in the ballpark and work with the tide as opposed to the clock.

Lau
06-11-2004, 12:46 PM
This might help

http://www.maineharbors.com/ma/tidemacp.htm