Reason that Tip can't land fish [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Reason that Tip can't land fish

jjohnson
06-09-2004, 03:59 PM
So here are my reason why tip can't LAND fish (notice I emphasized LAND so read into that what you will)

1) He reels with his left hand and has a right hand reel
2) He uses a bent 8 penny nail for a hook.
3) It is too dark at 2 AM in the morning when he usually is up to see the fish when it gets close.
4) Using Dynomite in swift water just washes your catch away.
5) Size 26 midges doesn't hold a steelhead well.
6) The new bungy cord line he is testing doesn't make for a good hook set.
7) He dunks his flies in Scotch and at 4 AM the fish know it is too early to be drinking.
8) Who cares because at least he hooks fish unlike me the founding member of the WWSC club.

This is fun people lets keep this thread open. We are all trying to laugh a little.

sean
06-09-2004, 04:10 PM
9) The luck of the Irish aint all it is cracked up to be

OC
06-09-2004, 04:13 PM
JJ,

How could you! This is not mis-information.:tsk_tsk: :devil:

Who has reasons 9 and 10?

KerryS
06-09-2004, 06:27 PM
10. Uses hackle feathers pulled from a feather duster given to him by the old gentleman who rents a room in the basement.

rich_simms
06-09-2004, 08:04 PM
11.) He refuses to lower himself to an ESL and keeps talking to himself "my scampi is better than any piece of _ _ _ _ that Rich ties"

Moonlight
06-09-2004, 10:39 PM
What are you stupid ? If there is a modicum of "Scotch" that is part of the days effort , no?
Four AM or ten pm whats the difference re, Scotch?
With apologys as "I" have had several "Scotches" this night!:smokin:

Brian Simonseth
06-10-2004, 01:19 AM
12. Those long belly lines!

:hehe:

NrthFrk16
06-10-2004, 01:23 AM
Rich & Brian-
BRAVO!! :hehe:

13)That one piece of water on the other side of that huge governmental institution just does not hold fish like it used to!!! :razz: :hehe: ;)

flytyer
06-10-2004, 01:59 AM
14) His advanced age has caused his reflexes to slow so he doesn't react quickly enough to the fish when fighting it.

Nailknot
06-10-2004, 03:39 AM
15. Gives up first water with nary a nod in order to hook potential steelheader like-minders. "takin one for the team" aint easy.

4/30 Sauk :)

OC
06-10-2004, 10:10 AM
16 The conversion from republican to democrat has been tougher than he thought it would be.

Sharp Steelie
06-10-2004, 11:03 AM
17. Steelhead are republican so they tend to refuse
democratic swings. :hehe: :rolleyes:

sinktip
06-10-2004, 11:14 AM
I am very pleased that you all can find such pleasure at my expense :p

A few random thoughts in response.

JJ: Maybe if you dunked your flies in a good single malt you could drop your membership in the WWSC club. I know you think that Yukon Jack is mother's milk but then again you have lousy taste in whiskey. By the way, do they still give you a free skirt with every bottle of YJ you buy?

Rich: Truer words have never been spoken :razz:

Moonlight: You my friend may be the only sane one. Cheers!

Brian: It's not how deep you plow, but how long you stay in the drift.

Sparkey: Not sure where you are talking about. :smokin:

OC: Nope, that actually was pretty damned easy. I simply found out I was allergic to bushes.

jjohnson
06-10-2004, 12:48 PM
18: He needs to stop fishing for Golden Natives and fish for Steelhead.

Just a rumor I have heard.

OC
06-10-2004, 01:15 PM
19 He needs to stop flossing golden natives and just fish for them.

andre
06-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Sean can you change his id to "god of the NW golden bone, formerly know as the angler sinktip"?

sean
06-10-2004, 03:10 PM
How about just :

"The Golden Bone"

-sean

andre
06-10-2004, 04:42 PM
HMMM, This is not an attempt to further degrade this thread, should we conduct a pole?

NrthFrk16
06-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by andre
HMMM, This is not an attempt to further degrade this thread, should we conduct a pole?

A quick clarification. A pole is what Oregonians use to catch steelhead. A poll is what is used to measure the opinion of a group of people.

Brian Simonseth
06-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes we should conduct a poll!

This is going to get interesting

sinktip
06-10-2004, 05:12 PM
or is that the will of Landrue?
(obscure reference but I bet at least one of you pick up on)

While I have some concerns about the proposed new title, if the majority request it, I will freely resign as Chief of the EP for a period of thirty days and take on the new moniker.

I don't want to brag here but I have stumbled onto golden success and if you all would like to learn how, you too can start catching more than your share of the native bones. I have already changed my avatar to match my new found expertise.

And in response to OC, flossing is fishing! Haven't you heard?

t_richerzhagen
06-10-2004, 05:18 PM
from your avatar, what fish is it?

MJC
06-10-2004, 06:44 PM
I don't want to brag here but I have stumbled onto golden success and if you all would like to learn how, you too can start catching more than your share of the native bones. I have already changed my avatar to match my new found expertise.

OH MY GOD!! It sounds like "tip" is ready to cash in on his new found expertise teaching luckless steelhead fly fishers the whys and hows of becoming an "expert" on catching Golden Bones. Can a book be far behind?
After he creates a new angling "fad" the tackle makers will scramble to fill the demand for specialized tackle. The rivers will be more crowded then ever. LOOK OUT OC!

Sharp Steelie
06-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Uh Oh!!!!!!!!

:eyecrazy:

flytyer
06-11-2004, 12:44 AM
Sinktip,

I knew that something was afoot when I caught that native golden bone the day we fished the Skagit. Now I know why. I was fishing with the 'golden bone meister'!

OC,

And I thought all these years that flossing was what one did to his teeth. I suppose I need to start using dental floss for tippet material so's I kin ketch me mo' fishies.

Sharp Steelie
06-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Nah - a bare hook would work much better to
clean teeth - better yet, a toothpick tied onto
a dental floss tippet. New form of clean and
release. When did golden bones start flossing
their dentures - interesting. Might just have to
try a new method IAW the fly tyer.

sinktip
06-11-2004, 11:04 AM
MJC --

No book for me. It has gotten so anybody can put a book out and say they are good. I am going the Lani Waller approach and putting out a video -- "Using Two Hands on the Golden Bone". Video is just a much better medium to show my innovative spey techniques. I will show that success on the bone is all keyed to the the up-stroke. Just like methods that others are now using on more traditional gamefish, the snag becomes an artform.

I would like to tell you more but then you wouldn't buy the video. I will however soon have some testimonials from people (besides Andre) to attest to the fact that my methods work! Look for the video soon in Walmart and Schucks stores everywhere.

And as for OC don't despair for him, his new book should be out anyday. Apparently he and John Ashcroft got their differences settled and it now has the green light. Something about OC sending him a bag of mushrooms???? Not really sure but I am told in keeping with OC's belief in non-sharing and self-discovery, the book will be titled "Nothing You Ever Wanted to Know About Steelheading". I also am told it will be published under the pseudonym The Pink Poodle.

Flytyer -- Yes it is true, I was responsible for that Skagit hookup. Glad I could have helped get you into some of the best golden fishing of your life.

GB

MJC
06-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Damnit "tip", I have set aside a prominent spot on my book display for your book right next to OC's. Oh well, I can move things a little to make room for your video. I'm thinking it will go nicely between Derek and Dec.

KerryS
06-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Tip,

Is your instructual material going to be available on DVD? Tape is so old fashion.

Doublespey
06-11-2004, 12:11 PM
I can hear Dennis now - "You don't need two hands for a Golden Bone! I've been using single hander on them for years!!!"

C'mon Tip - where's your respect for this noble gamefish? Give 'em a chance!:devil:

Eagerly awaiting the video,

DS

jjohnson
06-11-2004, 12:14 PM
I really can't wait to actually see Tips Lift and set the hook method. Enough of this swinging crap.

I here he has a new fly that looks like a bare treble hook that he knocks them dead with this technique.

JJ

sinktip
06-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Doublespey,

I take umbrage at something you just implied. I guarantee you 100% that others did not discover and popularize this fishery. They can claim dollies, Hoodsport, steelhead on a floater, and so on and so on but the Golden Bone renaissance is all mine :devil:

Tune in next week when I reveal the special flies I have developed for the NW Bone that keep getting it done for me. I also will talk about my completely innovative new lines. All will be able to be purchased once I get my on-line shop up and going.

GB

Sharp Steelie
06-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Let me be the first to say - mine are not worthy of
the Great Golden Bone!

:D

flytyer
06-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Sinktip,

I'm sure I speak for many when I say, "I'm waiting with baited breath" for your next installment on catching this underappreciated gamefish.

OC
06-11-2004, 02:58 PM
WHAT A WONDERFUL THREAD!

Glad most are having fun, a lightness of being. I guess some of you must know the Tip more personally than me, I just go fishing with him. But if some of you want to call him, The Man of the Golden Bone, then hey I'll take your word for it. No wonder they call it fly fishing.

I won't mind the Tips book along side mine in any store be it the Coast Guard PX or Victorias Secret and to have it in MJC shop is an honor. As for the title of my book it is fasioned after one of my true heros, Abby Hoffman who had a book with the name, Steal This Book. My title will be eigther, Steel this Book, Steel for Steelhead or Don't Read this Book, because any good steelheader would know that any how too steelhead books are just plain BS. And yes me and John Ashcroft did come to an agreement after we went mushroom hunting together then sampled some of our find. He even asked if he could go again sometime with me to hunt the wild mushroom. I told him that I was going again over the weekend with another hero of mine, Fidel Castro and that he was welcome to come along. Well as you can imagine John got a little paranoid, (bad trip) about that so I'm not sure where we stand with getting the censorship / publishing issues ironed out at this time. When I left John he was obsessed with sneaking behind some curtain in the justice department crying out something about Oh Miss Justice I love You, I love you.

Went steelhead fishing last night had a great time, no golden natives just flossed a 59" Steelie because I was bored. It's just good to get out on the river though.

You all have a great weekend and Peace and Love to all of you. Go to church on Sunday just like your mother once told you to do.

flytyer
06-11-2004, 03:07 PM
OC,

I guess I'll have to use a dental floss tippet on my next trip to the river. Do the steelhead show any preference for what color dental floss to use? I knew a couple of fisherman in MT that used white dental floss as a tippet when fishing Hydropsyche caddis larvae. They claimed it imitated the caddis larvae dangling from its silk in the current. However, since dental floss is now available in such a plethora of colors, I am forced to ask which color or colors are best for use as a tippet, especially since you were able to get a 59" with the use of floss last evening.

Regarding Ashcroft, you shouldn't have offered him the pipe prior to mentioning Fidel to cut down on his paranoia.

sinktip
06-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Watch for a Golden Bone fishing school coming to a river near you. Still working on the curriculum but I will cover holding water, presentation, hook-set (actually that is the same as presentation), flies, tackle and watercraft. Also we will work through some exercises I have developed to simulate fighting a bone. Even a 14" bone in moderate current can be difficult to land. (Hint: they like to turn broadside in the current when hooked. This is just one of the tactics that make golden bone fishing challenging and fun.)

Expect an all you can eat streamside lunch where I prepare in various ways some of the lovely golden's we have caught that day. Hurry classes are filling up fast!

Remember as OC says, when the others head for the pipe, it is time to zig-zag. :smokin:

OC
06-11-2004, 03:25 PM
SinkTip,

I hope you show us how to tie your secret fly before lunch is served because a lot of us get real sleepy right after a big lunch.

NrthFrk16
06-11-2004, 04:30 PM
I can see the movie now: Romancing the Golden Bone

Starring sinktip and the April's Gem. :hehe:

North Island
06-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Mr. Tip,

Who will lead the grass roots conservation society that has already begun to rise to save the wild genetic superiority of the mighty Golden Bone?

It is my understanding that hatcheries are ramping up for enhancement of stocks on rivers that were once considered wild.

Corporate sponsors are queing up ready to shower support in favour of the Golden Bone.:devil:

Concerned Canadians for the Golden Bone.

Do your part. Bone and release. [Sparkey]

Brian Simonseth
06-11-2004, 04:45 PM
MOVIE!

Can't Wait!

sinktip
06-11-2004, 04:51 PM
North Island,

I have recently spoken with both high level WDFW staff and the city council from Forks and they both assure me that the golden bone populations are very strong and can withstand harvest opportunities.

Besides if I and my followers don't harvest the mighty bone, the gypsies will. Sport harvest of bones is not the problem. It is the gypsies and the commercials that are the problem. Please take your liberal causes back north of the border . :devil:

GB Bonker

Brian Simonseth
06-11-2004, 04:56 PM
GB

EASY!

You don't want there panties to bunch up again!

Sharp Steelie
06-11-2004, 04:56 PM
May the Golden Bone be with you - amen!

North Island
06-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Mr. Tip

Have you been spending some time on the board that shall remain nameless?

I refine my position . . .

Wild Bone and Release
(for the children's sake)

MJC
06-11-2004, 04:59 PM
I really think you are great. Some may remember in the distant past there was a thread about how crowded the western Washington rivers were, how there were few fish and more "fisherpersons" (I try to remain PC). There was some hand ringing about to much pressure ect. I made the statement something like "there were other fishing opportunites available besides steel and you guys didn't really know about crowded conditions". If I remember right I was taken to task by some as to not knowing what the Hell I was talking about. Well now the great sinktip has seen the light and looked elsewhere for his fishing pleasure. By creating this new fishery he will help lower the pressure from steel fishers on the great rivers. They will still be crowded but with persons seeking the Golden Bone instead of steel. Maybe the steelies can recoup a little. A whole new tackle industry will be spawned (pun intended) and the western Washington economy will get a shot in the arm. Maybe this is not worthy of the Nobel prize but I'm thinking his work is worthy of some type of prize. How about we create the "Barbel Prize" and make Tip the very first recipient. Do I hear a second?

PS, I agree with OC. This is great fun and a pleasant way to take a break while mowing a acre of grass.:smokin:

Dble Haul
06-11-2004, 05:03 PM
For what it's worth, I am strongly against the farming of golden bones.

:tsk_tsk:

andre
06-11-2004, 05:12 PM
One of the defining moments in my life was watching "tip" land a golden bone. I felt as though I had experienced all most men should.

flytyer
06-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Sinktip,

Put me on the pre-release list for the video, which I think Sparkey has aptly named. For allowing me to fish the water ahead of you so I could catch and release that one on the Skagit this spring, I will be forever grateful.

MMM,

Hitting those midstream boulders is part of the strategy to catch fish. The fish lie in front of, behind, and to the side or them; therefore, hitting the boulder with the bottom of the boat simply moves the fish into a position that is more advantageous to the fisherman. Much like Jim Teeny's "stoning" technique.

Sharp Steelie
06-11-2004, 05:46 PM
I love to put a fly in FRONT of boulders! It's
a little bit tricky to get a good swing in the
POCKET right in FRONT but it can be done!

:cool:

flytyer
06-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Sharp,

Putting a nymph right in front of boulders was something I did a lot of for trout in Montana during the years I lived there. It was VERY EFFECTIVE. I just never thought of using it for steelhead, which sounds like a mistake. I guess I'll have to start doing it when fishing for steelhead.

jjohnson
06-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Tip,

Don't forget that we need to protect habitat of the magnificent game fish. I hope no one ever wants to take my opportunity to wack a golden bone on the Head.:smokin:

Especially those liberal city people who don't have a clue about the real sport of it.

JJ

Mean Mr Mustard
06-11-2004, 06:26 PM
flytyer,

I like my "stoning technique" better.:devil:

In any case, thanks for the insight.

mmm

NrthFrk16
06-11-2004, 06:48 PM
So Jeff, 'tip, DS et. al.-

Who will be the first president of this new and upcoming Wild Boners Coalition?

An organization of consevation minded boners

Dble Haul
06-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by jjohnson

I hope no one ever wants to take my opportunity to wack a golden bone on the Head.

Given the uniqueness of this fishery, whacking the bones on the head may become criminal. I propose bone zones, much like the manitee zones in the Gulf, where careless boaters will get a hefty fine for showing such disregard for an obviously prized resource.

:tsk_tsk:

flytyer
06-11-2004, 07:00 PM
Sparkey,

Since you brought it up, and you have recently let us in on your latest adventure for finding a suitable mate, I nominate you. I also make a motion to close the proceedings to all furthur nominations. Do I hear a second?

sean
06-11-2004, 07:33 PM
My ballot and early look at the key cabinet members.

President Golden Boner: Sinktip
Vice President Golden Boner: Sparky

Department of Golden Boner Justice : OC
Secretary of Golden Boner Defense : Flytyer
Secretary of Golden Boner Education : Juro

-sean

Mean Mr Mustard
06-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Sean,

And I should be a given for Secretary of Offense; everyone knows how offensive I am.:whoa:

mmm

sean
06-11-2004, 07:53 PM
MMM I would see you more as a Wolfowitz type character. Your job would be to stay in the background unnoticed pulling the strings. We saw the paper you wrote 10 years ago detailing your plans and you will be given enough "unoffical power" to further your agenda.

"The planting of Golden Boners across the world in a attempt at total world domination. The golden age will soon be here!"

-sean

andre
06-11-2004, 07:59 PM
FT,

Why would anyone suggest that Sparky mate?:tsk_tsk:

t_richerzhagen
06-11-2004, 08:39 PM
there are no fish around. It reminds me of the floods last fall, no one could fish, so the board took some interesting rabbit trails.

Mean Mr Mustard
06-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Sean,

Not happy with the Wolfowitch comparison; the pansy asp. I think he gets his ideas from either the John Birch Society handbook or the 60's era Wheatchex boxes his mother saved for him. Probably both.

No, I was thinking more like Atilla the Hun or Don Rickles. You know, REALLY offensive.

mmm

flytyer
06-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Sean,

You forgot the very important Office of Public Information for Golden Boners. You would be perfect for this given your expertise on internet-based information dissemination.

rich_simms
06-12-2004, 01:24 AM
When's the first Golden Bone Clave? Will they allow fly fishing, er, I mean single handers in attendance?

Maybe a Goddess can be elected president of the WBC. Sink Tip can be founder and Gold Member (OK, Some had to say it)

Nailknot
06-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Don't ask, don't tell. Old goldeners know the drill. As I learned from the OGBC (Original Golden Boners Club)...

You only whack your golden bone alone, on a private stretch of river, and never in the rain.

SS: I'm not sure you could whack 20 golden bones in a day, and a 40"er? Hmmm... I doubt you. Though I have seen some interesting things on the internet.

MJC
06-12-2004, 01:48 AM
Cherry Pick will have to work late into the night to come with the new 20'-2 wt "Bone Tracker Specialist". :whoa:

NrthFrk16
06-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by rich_simms
When's the first Golden Bone Clave? Will they allow fly fishing, er, I mean single handers in attendance?

Sorry Rich, no single-hander's may attended the GBC. Only those boners that take pleasure in the fine art of two-hands will be allowed to attend.

Mean Mr Mustard
06-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Nailknot
SS: I'm not sure you could whack 20 golden bones in a day

Maybe he can after leaving the CG and turning pro.:whoa:

mmm

Todd Ripley
06-13-2004, 03:16 PM
Methinks that 'Tip's lack of success is due to distractions...

As the Skykomish has been closed, he had been doing a little trolling (bait fishing, no less!) at a newer, younger river...after several bites, a solid hookup or two, 'Tip was cited for being too aggressive of a troller/baiter, and had to return to more familiar waters...

As luck would have it, the old river had just received a fresh run of the exact same quarry he was pursuing in the old, and the battle of wits (?) played out again...

'Tip may have been using too light a tippet in many of his epic battles with his quarry, as while he seemed to be making perfect casts and hooking up quite consistently, his quarry seemed oblivious to the fact that he was even being casted to, much less played...continuing not only to slurp up 'Tip's offerings, but also those of many other fishermen in the beat, with reckless abandon, and seemingly without fatigue from being played so often.

Perhaps as the summer run season hits full swing, 'Tip's concentration will focus on the Skykomish, and his steelhead success rate will grow in inverse proportion to his effort put into his recent quarry.

That, however, remains to be seen.

Some objects of pursuit, and even harvest, tend to show an almost suicidal behavior that not only leads to continuous hooking and playing, but is also hard to walk away from.

Remember the old maxim? "Don't leave fish to find fish?" In this case, 'Tip may have to buck the system and do just that...that is, if he intends to be more successful at steelhead fishing.

It seems unlikely that his current quarry will be the one migrating back out to the salt, much less even leaving the prime swinging water that he has stationed himself in...I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know how accessible he is...it will take a force of will on 'Tip's part.

Perhaps the quarry will appreciate this subtle approach, and may glide off into the depths for a while, giving 'Tip reason to switch rivers...however, I doubt it.

Fish on...

Todd

Dble Haul
06-14-2004, 09:10 AM
All this talk of whacking bones is making me a bit embarrassed.

:o

Sharp Steelie
06-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Went Boneless for quite a spell - finally broke the
Golden Bone skunk last outing - what a relief!
Don't think have what it takes to join the OGBC!

:p

kush
06-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Todd - it looks like 'tip just got another take...

striblue
06-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Kush..can you clarify something for me. I am not a Steelhead fisherman, but I read, either from Trey Combs or Pete Pissnakis, the ledgendary steelheader, that if you cast your fly behind a rock the fish, a steelhead ,will madly dash to it and knock themselves out on the rock...hence the name "steelhead". Fished in that method allows one to easily just pick the fish up out of the water, but the fly still worked...now I am sure I read it somewhere...can you confirm.

kush
06-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Striblue,

No I don't think so. It was likely a description of me bonking myself in the head while single-handed casting some Intruder-type fly. I'm sure you noticed the "chuck and duck" delivery I employed while I was out on the Cape chasing stipers with a single hander and Lead eye Sand Eels. :eyecrazy:

I was a steelhead fisherman until I got my first two handed rod. Now I am a single-malt guzzling, cuban smoking poser wandering the river banks just hoping that some guy can clue me in. :hehe:

Todd Ripley
06-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Kush,

"I was a steelhead fisherman until I got my first two handed rod. Now I am a single-malt guzzling, cuban smoking poser wandering the river banks just hoping that some guy can clue me in. "

I think I know of someone who could help you out...a real expert.

Interested?

Fish on...

Todd

(troll...troll...)

Moonlight
06-15-2004, 12:45 AM
John the Steelheads got there name quite some time ago, seems that there was a big logger from Maine who visited our region by the name of Paul Bunyan. Old Paul liked to eat fresh fish and the loggers told him about a certain young fellow that was a proverbial "Fish Magnet" and the young fellow could get anything to bite any time of the year! Well it was the dead of Winter and the only fish that were fit to eat at that time of year were the big sea run Rainbows. Paul accompined the young fellow out to one of the Rivers around Forks Washington it was the Sol Duc as I recall.
Paul watched as the Kid caught several very large and bright fish at which time he said "Hey Kid you truly are a fish magnet and these big sea run Rainbows must have Iron Heads"!
Later the term Ironhead was corrupted by a bunch of pissant outdoor writers from Seattle and the term Steelhead seems to be the more widely accepted term by the "modern Anglers".:D

striblue
06-15-2004, 08:31 AM
Thanks...I should have put a winky on my post... since I was addressing the issue of casting behind a rock raised by SS...just a joke.

Sharp Steelie
06-15-2004, 10:27 AM
In Front!

;)

striblue
06-15-2004, 10:34 AM
............But it depends on which way the river flows....visavis your position;)

sinktip
06-15-2004, 01:11 PM
It is with heavy heart that I declare that I am giving up fishing for the wild Golden Bone. From now on out I am just Sinktip, steelhead fisherman.

While I may never lose my attraction to the yellow finned wonders, to be brutally honest, it simply became too easy. I was forced to face the fact that my successes, the result of my revolutionary techniques and flies, were just too severe of an impact on the resource. Even accepting the low end of the incidental mortality range, I had to face it that I was responsible for 4-5 dead bones every time out. While the population could probably have handled this level of "harvest", soon, through my desire to share my greatness with others, everyone would be wrecking havoc on this golden treasure. Coupled with the high numbers of fish lost to the gypsy netting, the runs would be doomed.

While I never wanted to impress anyone, I was becoming seduced by the attention being lavished on me in magazines, internet forums and yes, even the broadcast media. This was detracting from my desire to just be a simple man (insert Lynyrd Skynyrd song). For this reason, as well as those listed above, I had to stop. It is not easy to admit that you need to leave something you love because you are too good at it.

For those that signed up for by bone classes, the refunds will be sent shortly (minus a small processing fee).

So I guess there is little else to say but goodbye. I am off to steelhead fish now and am confident that I will be successful. After all, my Golden Bone patterns will catch anything that swims!

sinktip

Bunny Leech
06-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Sinktip NO, you can't pull the plug! How will I ever learn the difference between being "plucked" and being "boned?"

Doublespey
06-15-2004, 01:29 PM
I wanted to be the first to extend my sincerest gratitude to the undisputed Master of the Golden Bone. Becoming a successful Golden Boner has changed my life!!!

My doctor has even taken me off the anti-depressants - he still doesn't believe me when I tell him it's because of an amazing angler and the secret techniques and flies he decided to share with the rest of us.

Thanks Again! :devil:

DS

Golden Boners Anonymous

Todd Ripley
06-15-2004, 01:43 PM
'Tip,

I congratulate you on your desire to both fish and be a good steward of the resource.

Besides, it looks like it started to get so easy for you that the allure and challenge of the pursuit would have soon waned, leaving you contemplating your single malt and wondering how it all went so wrong.

You may have even purchased golf clubs, had it continued to play out...or maybe a bass rod.

Did you ever get that 41" bone mounted?

Sorry...couldn't resist.:chuckle:

Fish on...

Todd

Dble Haul
06-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Duggan had been catching 40" golden bones for years, and didn't really know it was a big deal until he started to share his stuff with everyone. This of course includes his philosophy of "keep it simple" and his one magical fly that will catch anything, even for a beginner on their first golden bone outing.

He just wanted to share!

Todd Ripley
06-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Until recently, I had no idea 'Tip was so successful...I bet he's been having his bones mounted for years...just keeping it to himself.:smokin:

'Tip, do you have any pictures of your mounted bones? Being an amateur mounter myself, I'd be very interested in seeing any "action" shots taken while the bone was being mounted...it's a process I'm very interested in.

Maybe a reproduction mount?

:confused:

Fish on...

Todd

sinktip
06-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Todd,

I had always heard you were an accomplished bone mounter but were shy about it. Don't you fear, here at FlyTalk we are accepting of almost everyone. Sorry no pictures :smokin:

'tip

OC
06-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Sinktip & Todd,

Did you two ever think about going into the hair dressing business together???

You could discuss the golden bone all day long and your woman clients could give a hoot about the how too of golden bone fishing.

And you could hire flytyer and pay him a good wage at that.

flytyer
06-15-2004, 02:28 PM
OC,

It is kind of you to think about me inasmuch as Sinktip and Todd I'm sure would be very successful in such an endeavor. However, I have no desire to be dressing golden bone flies and will leave that to the experts. Perhaps, they could hire the Goddess for demonstration puposes though.

sinktip
06-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Gentlemen, I am very sorry but as you can read above, I am retired. From where the sun now stands, I will goldenbone fish no more.

Not that there is anything wrong with it.:whoa:

OC
06-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Ya, Ya , Ya, retired today, catching again tomorrow. None of us is going to believe for a minute that you can just walk away.

striblue
06-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Retired?... I think this can be a great opportunity to start the Golden Banana Night Club.... strictly as a diversion, naturally.

Sharp Steelie
06-15-2004, 02:40 PM
This is just too much! Nice to see at least some
people have a sense of humor. Please tell me the
legend of the Golden Bone is not going to vanish
into obscurity! Thanks for the chuckles.

kush
06-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Naw SS - some things just won't go away...

KerryS
06-15-2004, 04:01 PM
I will surmise from your reitirement annoucment 'tip that the book deal and the video are off also. I was looking forward to the video as I do collect such media on bone mounting and yours would have been a nice addition to the collection.

Todd Ripley
06-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Kush,

"Naw SS - some things just won't go away..."

Truer words may have never been shared on this website...

Kerry,

I'll check the WSC archives...I think that 'Tip may have donated a few "instructional" videos over the years...my fear is that Simms may have borrowed them last year and not returned them.

Did you know that Simms recently had twins?

Fish on...

Todd

andre
06-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Kush, they will go away you just need the right meds. :devil: