Swift river report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Swift river report

John Desjardins
06-09-2004, 02:40 PM
I took a break from job hunting this am and ventured out to the Swift river. Nothing was hatching but I managed to catch some Brookies above Rt 9 & got 1 nice rainbow in the mix.
I even had fish on 3 consecutive casts. Not your normal Swift experience. Oh yes the magic fly was #12 Hornberg.

Chris
06-11-2004, 02:45 PM
For me the Hornberg is a bread and butter fly. The brookies love 'em.

juro
06-11-2004, 03:48 PM
I have a new fly for July... my own creation/adaptation called the flats hornberg. I am hoping it'll stop the big clever girls in their tracks. Sure looks like it will do the deed.

(sorry to change the topic to SWFF!)

John Desjardins
06-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Chris, I have to agree with you. Interesting what it did on a water that I typically associate with midges.

Juro, this is a TROUT forum, :tsk_tsk: Then again if you head south trout and try for trout aka weakfish your covered. :hehe:

flydoc
06-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Or even FURTHER south (Florida) for speckled sea trout, a worthy SWFF target....didn't get one this March, but will try again next year during my annual stay with the folks at their time-share near Sarasota...
As for the Swift, I always had reasonable luck with Royal Wulffs and Adams flies for the brookies near the Rt 9 bridge; as for the Y pool, my biggest was a 16 inch or so rainbow on a stonefly nymph just as the sun was starting to peek up over the horizon....
Shep