Today is June 6----1944 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Today is June 6----1944

striblue
06-06-2004, 03:33 PM
To all of our Fathers, Mothers, and all relatives, and to all who participated in this most important day in US History. To the Greatest generation, born at the end of the Great War, the war to end all wars, into the desperation of the depression, and to be thrust in the next catastrophy.... then to build this country for all of us who came after and who will come after. To the generation of our founding fathers, to the genaration of the Civil War and after, who buit this country and Pioneered the unknown, to the third great Generation whom most of us have been fortunate to know in person.

My father (July 1918- Sept.1999) was not at Normandy, but in North Africa, Italy, France and Germany. I have about 1000 photo's he took, or got from his commrades and even from captured Germans. Some are now in Books, but most have never been seen in Public. I want to place a handful here of my Dad and his buddies. Here he is just finishing basic training.

striblue
06-06-2004, 03:39 PM
This is him on a troop transport heading to invade North Africa at Oran. he is in the middle holding a weapon for the photo.

striblue
06-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Here he is at rest following the close call at Kassarine Pass. Along with a souvineer armband of Rommel's Afrikacorps. He is sitting to the left looking at the photo.

striblue
06-06-2004, 03:42 PM
..... at a lull a few days after the Anzio Invation in Italy.

striblue
06-06-2004, 03:44 PM
He is at the left listening to Allied radio broadcasting the Normandy invasion...he was fighting in Italy at the time.

striblue
06-06-2004, 03:45 PM
.... gloating a bit with a buddy....he is at the right ....with a Black mustashe.

striblue
06-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Getting shots when they crossed into Germany.

striblue
06-06-2004, 03:49 PM
................and finally..... the leaflet they received that they were all hoping for... then HOME!

removed_by_request
06-06-2004, 05:13 PM
The Normandy landers have to be the bravest men that ever graced this planet.

God's blessings on every one of them.

Hammer
06-07-2004, 12:07 AM
soul,,hell, with it,,GUTS!,go out to you!,,having spent yesterday with my ten year older~viet nam vet~ brother's,and today with my in-laws ~fifty year anniversary~all sorts of vets there as well as my long gone father who lied about his age to serve in WW2,i can do no more than ,,,,,,,,,,,refrain from any long tales;simply;i give my respect!and those out there on the forum who still have relatives alive who are vet's;get out there and spend a moment with them,they certainly deserve it!,,,,;)

Nick
06-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Stri,
Great photos. Thanks for putting those up.

Nick

sinktip
06-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks John for the pictures and the words about your Dad.

My dad (who passed in 1990) was in the second wave at Omaha. While I heard many stories of French ladies and poker games, he never shared much about the other realities of war. It wasn't until after he died that I found a written description of his time from '43 to '45 and a scrapbook of pictures, letters, and medals that he sent back to his parents. It was then that I finally realized why June 6th was always a remembered day in our household. I miss him and carry one of his dog tags on my keyring.

For right or wrong, it is the old that decide the answer is war and the young who are left to decide it.