How to identify a real one!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: How to identify a real one!!

wet fly
06-04-2004, 10:03 AM
I grew up on a popular stretch of River and have be fortunate to have know a few "Bums". There are a lot of dime store want to bes out. Here are some traits that I have observed over the years. 1. Most have developed there own style of casting and fishing. The rod would appear to be an extension of there shoulder arm and hand. The cast was very repetitive and fun to watch. It would be a very fluid motion. 2. focused, Seldom hear two sentences in a row not about the fish. 3. Very intelligent. Would have been successful in day to day commerce. 4. Nonconformist. One drove an old black Hearse. This was the days before the Van was popular. Other cars were the VW beetle, The old Nash with the fold down seats. Also a blue 61 or 62 Studebaker. 5. They fished alone with total focus. Most almost had a spiritual relational with the Steelhead. Best of all they were friends. Jerry

KerryS
06-04-2004, 10:30 AM
I met one once that drove a white Ford pickup.

wet fly
06-04-2004, 02:16 PM
1. How many days per year? Every day the river was open and had 6 inches of visibility. One of the best was Chris Woodle. He got a call from the Game dept.
Mr. Woodle, We are looking at your punch card and see many punches on days that you were the only one on the whole river to catch a fish on that day. Chris had a lie hole across and up river from my place. Here is where Chris fished when the river was up in the brush. It was behind a willow and only about 2 feet deep. Every fish must have rested in that spot and Chris knew it. 2. They had no need to tell how many Steelhead they caught. They may tell you but their ego did not need to tell. Fish were so common to them that it was not an issue. Jerry

Leland Miyawaki
06-04-2004, 02:44 PM
What an awesome post, Wetfly. I love it.

Leland.

wet fly
06-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Even though these "Bums" fished every day the occasional angler very seldom ran into them. They would park there car off the road and not afraid to walk a distance. Most anglers went home about 3 in the afternoon they would fish til dark. Then of course be out there at daylight the next day. Jerry

OC
06-21-2004, 02:47 PM
A misconception of a steelhead or trout bum is that they are snobs because they are elusive and will not how too every Tom, Dick and Harry. A good bum sees everything on the river including who is fishing. They have a way of telling who really loves to fish, maybe they see it in the sparkeling eyes. They never teach by monkey see or monkey do but by positive assurance a good word of those who also have the love and let the fisherman decide if he is really a fisherman or not. In this day of I want to be just because it's cool we have to many boasting that they can make those without the sparkel, the fishing soul into fishermen. The great fishing bums of the world are the very best at acting snobish to those that precieve tham as snobs.

The real steelhead fishing bum is a master out of love for what he does and he realizes he can't teach everyone to be fishermen nor is it worth trying. May they continue to remain snobs to all but those who really fish for the right reasons.

SparseHairHackl
06-21-2004, 02:52 PM
...May they continue to remain snobs to all but those who really fish for the right reasons.

A most snobbish post: "...those who really fish for the right reasons."

However, I have to admit that I liked it, and agree!

--Bill

flytyer
06-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Wet fly,

As one of my friends would say, "Isn't that what God gave you two legs for?"

Brian Simonseth
06-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Jerry

All you have to do is look in a mirror, you are the steelhead bum!

:biggrin:

Sharp Steelie
06-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Well, made it 17 years without saying a word - not sure what
happened or why decided to be nice - what was I thinking! Just
like to fly fish, catch fish, and have fun peacefully.

:whoa: