Anyone Know Anything About British Columbia? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anyone Know Anything About British Columbia?

Kraftd
06-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Just found out today I'll be heading to BC for some Stream Restoration Classes in Kelowna (about 200 mile East of Vancouver) on Monday.

Anyone have any experience with the area? I'll most likely be flying into Seattle and driving up due to the fact a Plane ticket to Seattle is quite significantly cheaper than to either Vancouver or Kelowna (which apparently has an international Airport).

I'm looking for somewhere to fish on foot in the area (preferably a river or stream) as I'll probably only have a couple of evenings to get out for a couple of hours. Any reccomendations on what kind of hatches or other patterns would be great too. Probably won't have a lot of time to tie between now and Monday, but I'm pretty stocked for the Wisconsin season, and I could probably spend and hour or so whipping out any crucial regional patterns.

I'm kind of flying blind here because of the short notice, any help would be greatly appreciated.

jared
06-03-2004, 08:25 PM
check your PM inbox

North Island
06-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Great title for a thread.

That is a tough call. Kelowna is situated on Okanagan lake and there are many municipal parks that you could shore cast for rainbow trout. I don't know if I would call it good fishing but you do have a real chance at catching.

As a rule creeks and streams are closed until July the first.

A short distance outside Kelowna about 25 km there is a nice little lake called Jackpine which holds rainbows to 3 pounds. A car and a boat would be required. If memory serves me correctly there's a lodge that rents boats at Jackpine lk.

Hope that helps N I

Kraftd
06-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the help, that's a little disappointing about the streams being closed, but oh well, can't beat the scenery, have to give a couple of the lakes a try.