Sink tip design info [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sink tip design info

MattS
06-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Can anyone recomend a book or website that has extensive (and good) info on making one's own shooting heads and sink tips?

My understanding is that Steelhead anglers are the both the originators and true perfectionists of these types of lines and there is much info on the subject available...looking for a place to start.

I have been FF for a few years and am familiar with heads and tips but am now looking for some in depth info and understanding of the design, make-up and use of these systems.

Thanks in advance for your help,
-Matt-

t_richerzhagen
06-02-2004, 11:16 AM
I do not know af a good book on this topic. There are however some members on this Board with extensive experience in this area who may be willing to share the information they have learned. There may even be written directions that they have developed that they would share. Brian Simonseth and Leroy Teeple are a couple that come immediately to mind. Leroy has demonstrated at the Sancy Clave a couple of times. Send them a PM to see if they can help or know of someone that can.

kjackson
06-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Go back to the home page and pull up the Expertise section. Under it, you'll find an article title "Hybrid Line Systems". You'll find a lot of how-to there. Others will chime in, I'm sure.

Good luck; it's a fun process.

Keith

Brian Simonseth
06-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Matt

There is so much info out there to read on this subject, but the problem is no one has put it down in one book. A lot of books will have a little section on it but not much.
Iíve got books and books with a little section on lines and sink-tips construction.
But I learned more the old fashion way, getting out there and trying different things.

Friends have help out more then anything!
Donít be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks EW/MB