Nightmares and a revelation [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Nightmares and a revelation

Slinger
06-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Finally I know what it is that drives me to tie like a possesed person. Last night I had a dream that I was on Lobsterville and everyone was hooking up and I couldn`t get a hit. They showed me what they were using and I didn`t have any like that. I searched every wallet I had and none to match. The problem is I`m never sure what I have is just right, is it to long, is it to bulky, is the color right, maybe silver flash instead of pearl? And the debate rages. Now I know why I tie dozens and dozens in every length and width and color imaginable, and still there is doubt.
With only two weeks to go before I leave for the Vineyard for what will be a huge trip for me I can`t shake this feeling that I`m not prepared. It must be soothing to fish day in and day out with the same fly and never worry about it!
Slinger

doogue
06-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Slinger,

I will be on the Vineyard in June as well.

Let me know what worked for you so that I only have to tie 10-15 flies for the week!

That is my cop out attitude.

But I sleep well....

Smcdermott
06-01-2004, 02:12 PM
you know you are going to tie on a 3" Olive over white half and half so I don't know who you think you are kidding Steve! :devil:

In all seriousness, I don't have much vineyard experience but I would think some up and down sand eels, a few herring and squid flies should make for a pretty deadly box.

Sean

Adrian
06-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Steve, you really need a portable flytying bench that you can set upon the beach. Then you can either match the hatch and if that still don't work at least you can make a few $$$ selling flies to all the other struggling anglers:devil:

jfbasser
06-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Steve, have you found that box of flies that you recently misplaced? I think that those will be just the ticket!:devil:

Slinger
06-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Actually I did and do I feel stupid. After a couple of weeks of pulling my hair out I started from scratch again and then the other day when I went to change to a new leader guess what was in the pocket reserved for leaders. Now I have enough DNA flies to go around.
In Mitchell`s book the final chapter is a primer for Lobsterville and Dogfish Bar and he says to have juvie Atlantic herring, as I remember them they were bright blue on top with a lot of silver, about 3", I think 2 dozen should do!
Slinger

saltydog
06-13-2004, 09:12 AM
SLINGER, so you haveing night mares, must be tuff, think about fishing, (HUMMMMM) Ill give you the KILLER COLOR for this season, on the BAR, in the BOWL, an any where eles you want to go, BLACK/GOLD an here another tip, feathers/long bunny, size for this time of the year last weeks in june, 2/0 an up. Ill even post a pic of a KILLER PATTEN I did up on the vinyard, an DONT let any one tell you there are NO big 30-50lbs there, if you cant find any, just look UNDER the BIG GREEN bridge, they are there ALL DAY/NIGHT LONG, an do like FLYS----> BIG SQUID FLYS, heres the fly
GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN:smokin:
p.s sorry for taking so long replying, BUT been on the VINYARD FISHIN