Well??? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Well???

juro
05-29-2004, 09:32 PM
For us deprived non-fishing weekend warriors, where are the reports? I am jonesin' here :eyecrazy: :p

Don't tell me you're all too tired and sore from battling big fish to post about it.

striblue
05-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Ya Well.... I got a late start. I drove my daughter to a friend in Brewster.... Got to the Rip Ryder at 10:30 and found out Keith had stopped running to South Beach. I understood from Keith that some guys went out early, probably Big Dave and Flydoc, who I was suppose to meet. So the only place for me for a couple hours was at Morris Island along with 10 other guys. Nothing going on and the wind was still honking. Meet up with Brendan O'Brien. I called it quits and he went to Claflins Landing, but it was honking there as well............so, with my daughter sleeping over a friends tonight and the forcast for less wind...I will be down at Morris at 7 AM and catch the 8 am to south..... Great report huh?

juro
05-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Better than working!

But why no runs to SB? Wind?

flydoc
05-29-2004, 11:25 PM
John- I'll be there....too bad you didn't make it today. The beach side gave up some schoolies to me this AM, despite the wind and surf. I was having no success at the steep area of the beach across the dunes from the RipRyder drop-off, so I hiked a little further south to where the beach flattens out a bit and the surf wasn't as nasty. There I got my first true "sightfishing" experience, as I was able to see pods of schoolies swimming north close to shore and cast to them. Total score- 3 schoolies caught and one at-my-feet refusal. Better luck tomorrow!

Juro- after todays' outing, couldn't resist the urge to drive up to Kingston to buy an Atlantis and matching Lamson reel from your buddy Smitty ( who also taught the right way to pronounce your name; sorry I've been butchering it all this time!), who was kind enough to put free backing on both the reel and the spare spool I bought. Unfortunately he had no matching lines; to his credit he did not try to sell me what he had on hand, as he was honest enought to admit the lines he had were not suited for the two-hander. I also bought some killer flies from his impressive collection of locally-tied offerings....definitely going to give him more business in the future! As much as I'm tempted to just pick up a 12 wt line from Fishing the Cape at 7 AM tomorrow and slap it on so I can give the rod a spin, I think it would be better if I could get more appropriate lines as mentioned in your posts. By the way, where could I get a Hardy Mach I line? Their website does mention the Natick shop as a Hardy dealer, but do they carry their lines as well as their reels?
Shep

juro
05-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Good choice, especially for the migratory fishery. It will take a little practice but before you know it you'll be dropping the fly in front of even the furthest pods with ease. Ease is the key, most people over-power the Atlantis, as unlikely as it might seem. It's designed to do the work for the caster, if you let it. Longer rods (even those with IM8 modulus) take a little more time to come around, so find the rhythm.

I won't be down this weekend but if you can hook up with Paul Cheever (striperstripper) or Penguin you can get two good perspectives on lines. Paul uses the 12wt Intermediate Tarpon line from Wulff, very nice taper and matches beautifully with the rod, and Penguin uses the airflo fast sinking shooting head which will reach out and touch the fish pronto and get down in their strike zone very quickly, an important aspect if the water is a little deeper where they cruise.

The Wulff is a very comfortable and feel-good line, the shooting head will give you more distance and get down and dirty in front of the pods much faster.

Focus on a consistent 100-120 ft cast and you will bump your ratio from a few hookups per dozen pods to 8-10 hookups per dozen pods.

Lines I like for this fishery:

Wulff 12wt Intermediate Tarpon line (coldwater light blue)
Airflo 35ft DI-7 12wt Shooting Head
Hardy Mach I 10/11 (not the plus, standard Mach I) shooting head or full line

If using the Intermediate, give ample time for the fly to reach their column of depth before stripping, which means lead them.

BTW - they are not all schoolies.

FishHawk
05-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Flydoc great that you caught those fish site fishing. Hope to run into you in a couple of weeks. Tight lines. I think the Rooster wil be down the second week of June you might want to PM him as he has an Atlantis and could also help you out.
FishHawk:D

FredA
05-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Too windy yesterday. Did fish in the river last night. Bunch of schoolies. Met Basser on the bayside. Too windy and cold so we went to Chatham. We caught a couple in front of the light, but pretty quite.

flydoc
05-30-2004, 02:21 PM
5/30- skunked!
Caught the 8AM RipRyder with John and Pete- no luck today. Saw fish, but no bites. Twisted my left ankle a bit fighting surf (another very windy day), so switched to observation mode to try to hone my fish-sighting skills. Saw a group of big ones moving north-south (as opposed to the groups I saw earlier), and whistled to the next angler down the beach so he could intercept them. He made 4-5 casts to them with no bites. Basin/flats side once again with killer chop from wind moving west-east. Apart from the wind and slow fishing, a gorgeous day with nary a cloud in the sky. Showers forecast for tomorrow, so I'll be looking for Rooster, Fishhawk, John, Pete and (hopefully) Juro and Paul Cheevers in a couple weeks. I should have a line on the Atlantis by then...
Shep

juro
05-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Cool! Well not cool about the stripe but the shots sounded good.

So - why do you suppose the angler did not hook up?

flydoc
05-30-2004, 02:27 PM
The fact he seemed to be casting INTO the group instead of IN FRONT of it might have had something to do with it....live and learn!
Shep

juro
05-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Thought so!

These moving fish will not move far from the pack to eat a fly, the encounter has to be almost incidental to the fish. I usually recommend 10 ft of lead for moving beach fish. Stripping before the moment materializes is cause for failure as well.

A high-density shooting head works wonders this time of year on the beach. Not only does the thinner == grains get thru the wind, but it makes the fly get into the strike zone much quicker. Just be careful not to clothesline the fish with that black line, they don't like that at all.

If you put the DI-7 35ft Airflo shooting head in 12wt on your new Atlantis and keep a relaxed stroke to make sure things are all lined up, reaching out and touching these fish (10 ft ahead that is) should be greatly simplified. The big ones are starting to increase in numbers and during my field testing last year the bigger stick was much more comfortable for fighting cow bass in surf.

The jury is still out on the running line, although the Polyshoot XT was very nice last weekend but it was so light that the wind tended to blow it around in the basket. Of course it was windy as hell.

I will be stringing up the Rio slickshooter 50# and the Airflo Miracle braid next time out. Should be the ticket for easy, big casts to reach virtually any pod reason up on Nauset and the Race, which are smokin right now.

striblue
05-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Took the Rip Ryder back with Flydoc and ended up with 2 fish this morning... both not bad in the low 20's. Both casts to lead fish in pods I could reach. Penguin shared a sandwidh while we took a break with Rooster and his two buddies. Fished a while with Diego.... I think that is his handle. Moved to a point with Big Dave and saw pods moving during the early outgoing, but not as many as last weekend. While we ate, small pods of small fish came swimming right at us and them veered south???. One big Pod of 'BIG" fish had Penguin running down the the beach....for about a mile... I saw them and they were huge... but a small school...maybe 4 or 5... but could not reach them. Met Paxton, his wife and his daughter on the Rip Ryder. Fished near Slinger who was up from RI for the day.Wind was up but not bad, not like yesterday

Slinger
05-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Borarded the Rip Ryder and made the trip to the promised land today. It is everything they said it would be. Beautiful day ( coulda done with a little less wind), pods of fish roaming up and down the beach and the seal show was great( we don`t get them down here). Only managed one hit but saw lots of fish. I would much rather fish with a wind in my face than at my back, I can punch a line into any wind but from behind it makes life miserable. Met some new faces and allmost got run over by Pete as he chased a cow down the beach , screaming like a banshee. Everything has changed so much since I was last out there, maybe 10 yrs ago. And there wasn`t even any traffic comin off Cape!
Slinger

Adrian
05-30-2004, 08:30 PM
..... somewhere a bit closer to CT, where the stripers are running BIG and the flats have only ME on them (glad I got the kayak) and there are 40" schnauzers cruising in 2ft of water and burying their heads in the sea lettuce and ....

7 fish total

2 @ 30"+
1 @ 26"
3 24"ish and finally

the BIG 40" - in ankle deep water - sucked in the swinging fly so gentle but you shoulda seen the explosion when I set the hook followed by a very cool looking rooster-tail as the backing went sizzling out.

On the inside flats I was glad I had the tarpon line and flies that didn't sink to fast. The bottom is covered in a lush carpet of gold, green and tan lettuce three to six inches deep. Keeping the fly suspended above the crap is key and the retrieve needed to be ever so, ever so, slow. A clouser would have been frustration city :devil:

The only sad part was the wind kicked up so much it stirred up the shoreline upwind and the sight fishing shut down until the incoming push cleared things out.

striblue
05-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Way To Go Adrian!!! A definite Banner day!:)

Paxton
05-30-2004, 10:42 PM
We had a great day, despite the wind. Amy and I fished the flats all day....Amy got 15 (14 schoolies and one at 24"), I got 6, including one at 27" and one 29'. Saw 6 small pods of large stripers, but the wind and my "skills" only allowed 2 good presentations and fish. Small pods of larger fish seemed to show up a minute after a small schoolies went by....but I don't know if that is the usual pattern or just my observation today.
Many singles of large fish on the flats and they were spooky! A 2 ft swell and white caps on the flats....tough casting! Amy is definetly hooked, only wish she got one of the larger fish....but that is what next time is for :-) Can't see her going after brookies in a stream in the near future....music to a father's ears.
Large fish were in pods of 4-5. A friend of mine (Garry), pulled in a 36" fish on the flats.....he fought it for about 1/2 hr. and the fish gave him many long runs....we took a pic.
Saw Pete and Striblue on the shuttle on the way over. On the way back, the guys on the shuttle could only talk of a cetain "bird" sprinting along the surf trying to get ahead of some huge fish:) Carol enjoyed her what-a chair, book and the sun as usual...thanks to Capt. Keith for the shallow drop off and keeping her relatively dry. :D Hope to get out during the week, pending weather.
Ron

FishHawk
05-31-2004, 09:06 AM
After reading these reports wished I had change my plans and made the trip down. Oh well in a couple of weeks I'll be there.
Way to go Adrian. See everyone in a couple of weeks.
FishHawk:D

Penguin
05-31-2004, 09:32 AM
My lungs and legs are still telling me it's time to start a conditioning program!
That COW almost killed me...What a way to GO! :D

If you ever find me on the beach, slumped over my basket, clutching my rod, and more unresponsive than usual...
...check for a heart beat before you start picking me clean!
and...
At the wake, be sure to drink a toast to the giant striped schnauzer who brought me down! :smokin:

Here's a shot of a few Left Coasters (who were able to secure Cape travel visas) demonstrating a proper sense of urgency.
Rooster and Walt laying in wait for the next POD...
...a noteworthy and effective work ethic!

...Beach chairs?....
We don't need no STINKING BEACH CHAIRS!!!

Penguin
05-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Anyone happen to notice a certain dark shadow cruisin' in the upper left corner?!
Makes you wonder...:eyecrazy:

GregD
05-31-2004, 03:29 PM
I have seen a few of those hanging out off south beach myself. The weekend of the clave one was holding in an area by me for over an hour. Thought it might be a seal, But I never saw it come up for air. If it weren't for the non-stop striper action I would have gone over took a closer look perhaps give a couple casts that way. Thought it might be a shark or something big waiting for a snack to come it's way so I kept an eye on it.

Greg.

Adrian
05-31-2004, 04:10 PM
I would have just had to make a cast - looks to be well within Atlantis range:devil:

juro
05-31-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Adrian
I would have just had to make a cast - looks to be well within Atlantis range:devil:

Yeah without even getting up! :devil: :devil:

Smcdermott
05-31-2004, 05:28 PM
I was visiting family on the Cape this weekend but managed to make a few casts and found some fish in a not so famous spot.

Merrick
05-31-2004, 10:36 PM
I watched for the "Dark Shadow" in that picture to move many times on Sunday. At dead low Rooster and I could see it pretty well through the wave faces and determined it was a old lobster trap. :(

BigDave
06-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Great visibility all 3 days but lot's more fish moving thru on Monday. Small pods of BIG girls moving thru first hour of the ebb followed by big pods of small fish later on. Got my biggest of the year taped a 35"....just about kicked my ass trying to lip her in the surf!

Agree 100% with Juro about the grain line in the surf. Saw a lot of guys fishing int. lines. Anything that was not on the bottom resulted in refusal for me.

Nice to see the crew out there. Teamed up with Diego yesterday afternoon which resulted in a lot more sighted fish and hookups with the afternoon glare.

juro
06-01-2004, 09:53 AM
SU-WEET!! My shift starts mid-week :D

striblue
06-01-2004, 10:07 AM
I will be there Friday...all day

Bill
06-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Saturday - coaching, yard work, no fishing. Sunday a couple of hours early am fishing outer beach - slow. Monday, oh boy. Met up with Rooster at 5am for the outer beach. He was nice enough to let me try his 2 hander for a while. Took a while to get the rhythm, but I want one now. Then a solid hour plus of non-stop adrenaline. Lots of sun and the wind was low enough to spot the pods cruising north. Classic, stand up high, watch the shadows, run down the beach, cast ahead of the clouds, BANG! Multiple fish from the same pods as we chased them down the beach laughing like little kids. One very large school stopped in its path and backtracked south for 30 yards, then continued. At one point we watched a huge school cruise and splash out of range (even for the Atlantis) and "look" a "smaller" school of 50-60 zipped by inside them 40 feet from the sand. Yahooo. Makes you forget those slow days.

desmobob
06-01-2004, 05:15 PM
I was out there over the weekend... fishing was great on Saturday with lots of pods of fish moving by and a few opportunities to cast to some big ones. The Westerly wind had everyone casting like a hero.

A guy fishing next to my buddy and I managed to pull a cow out of a passing trio. We both missed hooking up with the two remaining monsters.

He fought the fish for a while and we eventually saw him pull it up out of the surf. Holy cow! My partner ran over with a tape measure and scale. The fish measured 45" and pulled the Shimano spring scale to 36 lbs. A very nice one indeed! Had I realized they were that large, I would have pulled a "Penguin" and hounded them for a mile or so....

The guy brought his wife with him on Sunday to show her how good the fishing is and of course, it was nothing like the day before. So Chick, we're blaming Sunday's poor fishing on you. ;) I'll post a photo as soon as my partner gets his film developed.

I had a fun nine-day fishing vacation at Chatham, as usual, despite the poor weather. We ran into a few people we've met in the past eight years of fishing South Beach and we met some very nice gentlemen for the first time... Rooster, Walt, Penguin, Bill, and Chick, to name a few.

My partner and I are from upstate NY and are having a ball learning the ways of the striper. We're picking up all kinds of neat tricks from the locals. Capt. Keith told us about a neat way to carry tools on your boat... just put them under the engine's flywheel. They don't make all that much noise and they're there when you need 'em. :hehe:

See you on the beach,
Bob Scott
Whitehall, NY

desmobob
06-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Here's a photo of that big fish caught on Saturday:

Dble Haul
06-01-2004, 08:11 PM
desmobob-

That is a magnificent fish on any tackle, let alone fly gear. Congrats to the angler, wherever he may be!

desmobob
06-01-2004, 08:33 PM
I'd like to see that fish again when her belly grows large enough to match her head... I bet she'll weigh 45 lbs instead of 36.

My buddy Jay had the good fortune to be seated next to Amy in the Rip Ryder on the way out Saturday morning. Later on, I was remarking to him how beautiful she is. He had a dreamy, far-away look in his eyes and said, "and she smelled great... she smelled like no striper fisherman should ever smell." I'm still laughing about it today. Congratulations to paxton on having such a beautiful daughter; one that fly fishes, no less!

We have a lot of gals that fish up here where I live, in the sticks. They usually sit by the lake in the evenings on a five-gallon bucket next to a burning tire (takes the chill off the night air). They keep their bait (nightcrawlers) in their mouth to keep them warm and lively and dispense them one (or two) at a time as needed through the gap from their missing front tooth (or teeth). I can't comment as to how they smell as I've been very cautious about getting too close downwind....

I've got to go. I've got scheming to do. I'm trying to figure out how to pull off a six week Cape fishing trip like Walt did! Now that's a fishing vacation!

Good fishing,
Bob

Paxton
06-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Bob......thanks for busting me up this morning with your post. First time on this site that I actually laughed out loud :chuckle:
So sorry to hear about how the women in your parts hold their bait.....not a pretty picture you painted!
Will share your post with Amy, who I know will get a kick out of it.
Just goes to show you.....one doesn't have to smell bad to catch fish:)
Ron
Congrats to your freind....that was one heck of a fish!

Roop
06-02-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by desmobob
Here's a photo of that big fish caught on Saturday:

That is a great fish!

Congratulations!!

Roop

Chris
06-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Drew and I headed down to Sweetwater Forest Friday afternoon. We met up with Porkslice there, set up camp and fished our butts off, asswell as a lot fo the skin on our fingers.

Saturday we headed out to SB at 8:00. Porkslice caught a single small schoolie. The winds were brutal so we split at 1:00. Headed back out that evening but didn't fish too hard and caught zippo.

Sunday found us over the beach from the tub set up on a nice fish funnel. The winds had halved over night so the fishing and the seas were much more pleasant. Pods wer cruising along up the shore , every one crossed to the opposite side along the sand bar and we picked 2 to 4 fish out of each pod. Most were 18' - 24". The structure was such that the pods got forced in close in a narrow bottle neck. It is an easy wade over to the sand bar once it starts to become exposed. Beyond, to the left the bottleneck opened into a big bowl with a nice rip to the extreme left formed by a sand bar similar to the one that forms off the light. Caught a few no real size. Porkslice returned home.

Monday we sight fished the same spot. We stayed right throught the lowest part of the tide this time to find that the bottleneck dried up completely, Don't know if this is normal or just from the astronomicaly low tides this weekend, and that the bowl to the left ponded right up. Thesame route the pods were taking earlier had them pulling a U- turn and heading out along the inside of the sand bar. Again we caught 1 to 4 fish from each pod.

Tuesday the rain came. It was cold, wet and raw. Then the wind started blowing. Just the way I like it. The fish aren't spooky and only the diehards are out. Jim S. was rigging up at the refuge lot when we arrived there. We joined up to fish the end of Morris Island on the Stage Harbor rip. We caught about 36 fish between us. All were nicer on average, several 24's and I got 30" cow. The fish was fat and heavy with massive shoulders for it size. Definately bulking up on the protein.

We returned that evening to the same rip but got there a little late and were pushed off the rip as the tide was further into the rise then we had hoped to catch. We landed a dozen or so. No honkers, 14- 20"
I'm beat and my hands are like ground beef. I'll have to get some pliers for the next assault. Back to the house projects and local brooks for a few more days of vacation.

jimS
06-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Enjoyed your company on Tuesday. Dennis Kelly (Rooster) and his buddy, Fred, and My buddy, Ed Bottegal hit the same area on the outgoing today. One good fish, other were twinkies and schoolies.

Will fish N. Monomoy in the a.m. since it is supposed to be sunny on Firday.

See ya,

Simms