What next? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What next?

Rustyleee
05-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Howdy folks,

I just looked up this forum and i'm trying to get in on the learning curve. I bought my son and I a couple of 8 wt. 9' combos from Scientific Angler a while back and we just got to use them last weekend. We went after some bluegills at a local state park. It took me a little while to get started but we caught a 1/2 dozen in about 2 hours. Not bad for the first time out, and I don't know when I've had a better time. I 've found out that the enjoyment is not in the catching... it's in the fishing.

I'm planing to take a clinic at a local dealer in the next few weeks. Can anyone sugest books or videos that would help a beginer?

Thanks,

Rusty <><

flyjkol
05-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the forum Rusty. Two books i would strongly recomend are L.L. Bean's Ultimate Book of Flyfishing and the second edition of Tom Mcnally's "everything book" (can't quite remember the name). Hope they help.

Rustyleee
05-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Hey guys,

I went back to "The Fly Shop" in Titusville where I bought the rods for my son and I to ask about what beginner's books he had. He sugested a video tape instead. The one he sugested is "The Art of Fly Casting with Chico Fernandez" I have to say that it is a very good tape. Well done and very easy to understand. A lot of the casting is done inside against a black background so the fly line is very visible and you can see exactly what it's doing.
I don't feel bad about paying to get into the learning curve. I just wish I'd done it many years ago when I had the chance. I remember once when I was in the second grade. Someone was going to give me a fishing rod. He had two of them. One was a spinning rod and reel. the other was a fly outfit. If I'd only taken the fly rod... how different life would be. Funny, I just remembered that too.

thanks,
Rusty in Fla. <><