Employment !? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Employment !?

flyfreak
05-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Well, this is my last resort.
I saw my job posted on Monster today, so I figure it
won't be long before I'm walked out the front door.
If any of you know of anyone looking to hire Network Engineers/ Network Administrators,
please reply or PM me.
I live in Beverly, and will travel anywhere within a 2 hour drive.
Thanks a lot.

FishHawk
05-26-2004, 06:17 AM
I have been laid of since last Nov. It is difficult out there. What a cruel company to not at least let you know in advance. There are no jobs out there just low paying service jobs. Listen to the politicians and everythings is booming.
FishHawk:mad:

juro
05-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Here's one you might try...

http://callmyit.com/jobs.shtml

Actually, I wish I had your experience! Can't beat em... join 'em!

Monster yourself (http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?q=network+engineer+technician&lid=893&sort=rv&vw=b&cy=US&re=14&brd=1%2C1862%2C1863)

John Desjardins
05-26-2004, 08:01 PM
FlyFreak & FishHawk I wish you both good luck on the search. Having spent the last month trying to clean out & close the company I work for I wish I'd been locked out a month ago. Oh well 2 1/2 more days and its done. Anyone looking for a Mechanical Engineer?

juro
05-26-2004, 08:28 PM
I have a suggestion.

If all people who will be available during their next job search would please reply to this post, I would like to propose the founding of a "skunkworks" virtual company. For that matter anyone who can spare a few cycles.

We will then choose a problem to solve, then form a loose corporate unit (if at all) and print collaterals. Then we will attack the marketplace and see how far we can go.

I will gladly provide market strategy, web and media design, and ideas for projects to tackle.

If nothing else, everyone will be gainfully employed and it might look pretty good on the resume.

I am working three jobs at this time, but heck I can take on another. Any interest?

John Desjardins
05-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Juro, I've had a few thoughts along that line. It was going to be the long term safety net.

juro
05-26-2004, 08:59 PM
I hope more people respond. So far we have a mechanical engineer, a product marketer, a network engineer. Fishhawk - what's your speciality?

So far we can build something correctly as long as we identify the right market / sales opportunities and our office will have a kick ass intranet.

We need a manufacturing angle, but that can be 3rd party. Fullfillment and warehousing should not be a problem right away, but we will probably need a sales force unless the dotcom miracle blesses the little guy, which is the trend lately.

We will need a software engineer with eCommerce experience.

Adrian
05-26-2004, 09:09 PM
Muy Interesante:smokin:

I can offer a strong background in strategy consulting and business systems analysis & design - developing value propositions & delivery systems, business process management (BPM), analysis & design...

A few years ago a bunch of us came up with a 'napkin deisgn' of an electronic stock trading system built entirely with shareware components. Never got built but would probably have worked!

Fully employed right now but always looking for new ideas to exercise the grey cells.

striblue
05-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Hey Juro...You will need a Lawyer... remember?

Spey_fisher
05-26-2004, 11:44 PM
Juro,

Sign me up as your warehouse/logistics guy. After 10 years with the same distribution company, I was told that my services were no longer required.
Have been filling in some of my spare time with tying and selling spey and dee flies. Now I get to worry about things like finding silk gut, spey hackle, hooks, etc., etc., etc..

Spey_fisher

flytyer
05-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Juro--

I've got college instructor, trainer, HR, counseling, and upper management experience/skills to offer.

FishHawk
05-27-2004, 06:28 AM
Juro I do pre-press work , digital photography and have a background in machining. Let's get it going.

FishHawk:D

doogue
05-27-2004, 06:32 AM
All,

I work at a semiconductor company by the name of Allegro MicroSystems in Manchester, NH. We are looking for lots of electrical and a few mechanical engineers. We are also looking for technical marketing folks as well.

You can learn more about the company at www.allegromicro.com .

The job descriptions are located at http://www.allegromicro.com/employ/ .

The company has been around for a long time and is doing really well right now. I have worked there as a circuit designer for the past 6 years.

Oh, and it is on a nice pond that is full of largemouth and has a few brook trout!

Good luck to you all and feel free to e-mail me a resume at doogue@alum.dartmouth.org.

Mike

IronMike
05-27-2004, 09:36 PM
I've recently resigned as Principal Software Engineer at Sun Microsystems and will be going to BOSE. So peruse the listings and I will be happy to refer you if you see a match.

Regards,

Mike

flyfreak
05-28-2004, 12:57 PM
I was correct.
My job and my co-workers job will be replaced with a single individual.
When I initially found the posting on Monster,
I took the job description to my HR department.
Needless to say they were QUITE unhappy.
With no bad performace evaluations to back them up (my Director and VP of IT),
they have no real basis for replacing us with a new employee.
I know I am an employee at will, but all hiring and dismissal (firing) has to been done thru HR.
This job posting was done under the radar, HR knew nothing about it.
After a few minutes of conversation, my HR rep was apologizing on behalf of the company, and was asking if I wanted to leave immediately with a severance,
or to stay and transition out with a severance. I opted for the latter, because there are a few people here near and dear to me who would be screwed if I just bailed. So the situation might pan out quite well after all....thanks to everyone for the advice and information....I really appreciate it.
I'll post more when I hear the final word.

juro
05-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Well team, there goes our damn intranet! :devil:

Glad to hear things are going to be a little better for you.

"Take two schoolies and call me in the morning" - the Fish Doctah

IronMike
05-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Good for you for having the integrity to stay and help your co-workers, and to also take the time to find the right position.

Like I said, if I can help, let me know - I have a very large network to offer.

Striper
05-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Juro,
Seeing as how I have not had much luck at finding a technology based position recently and I am woefully unhappy at my current slave job I would be willing to join in. I have basically a technical background with a very strong electronics and mechanical slant, I have been doing mucho computer technical work the past 5-7 years so I am covered in that arena as well. Basically a diverse and flexible guy who can do many things at once and who is not afraid to learn new and exciting things. Very good at problem solving and have a knack for organizational management. Count me in if we get anything off the ground.

Mike Mayo

doug
05-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Guys,
Company which I am working for ( read: TEMP) is looking for quite a bit of help in several fields.
Look up www.gsilumonics.com
Plant in Wilmington...also Billerica.
Doug B.