Fly Fishing Forum banner

Best mono for Pike?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  robow7 
#1 ·
I've been using wire leaders for pike, but I think I want to try mono so I have a better chance of catching a few bass while I'm pike fishing . . .

So . . . any recommendations for brand and pound test? Can I use the 40 lb Maxima Chameleon I use for salmon leaders or do I need to go out and buy something different?

Thanks for any advice . . .

#2 ·
We had a lengthy discussion on pike leaders a few months ago....check for a thread titled "Pike leaders" or something to that effect right here in the warmwater section...it was about 3 pages long.

FWIW, a friend and I used 50lb Seagaur fluoro on a recent trip and put it through the paces with all sizes of fish, and we knocked off about a dozen good sized smallies with the same shock tippet. It seemed to be pretty universal and nearly invisible in the water. If you get a chance, check out the Ontario fishing report I started about a month ago right here in the warmwater section.

Regardless of your choice for leader material, good luck and let us know how it works for you.

#5 ·
Just got back from an outing in the northern most area of Wisconsin and attempted several leader materials for pike. I found the seagar 40 lb worked pretty well and it turned over the very heavy wind resistant flies OK. No bite offs but after some fish you had to cut off the end and re-tie if you were prudent. I was very disappointed in some specialty tapered leaders for bass flies. They just wouldn't do it for the larger very wet flies that we were throwing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.