Up coming Summer Run Season [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Up coming Summer Run Season

Brian Simonseth
05-23-2004, 04:58 PM
What are all of you guys doing to get ready for the Summer Run Season?

Iíve have been to three different Spey Claves testing new rods and Lines.
The rods this year and last are great. I bought a rod at the end of the season last year and never use it till 2 months ago, and just ordered an other (Fred E. and RA you guys cost me money again) canít wait to use them. Lines have come a long way; Teflon impregnated makes this lines fly. Most of you know what I think of the SA lines but the Hardy lines are right there with them.

Would like to hear from the rest of what youíre doing to get ready?

OBTW I do not have a 9-5 job thats why I can go to this things

KerryS
05-23-2004, 06:39 PM
I have just finished putting loops on my new floater and on new tips for the 6126. Also tied up a couple of new leaders for dries. Now to the vise to tie up some steelhead bees. When I'm done with that I will take the dog for a walk by the river and do some practice casting.

Soon, very soon.

You didn't work when you had a nine to fiver.

Big K1
05-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Picked up SA short a couple of weeks ago been playing with that. Picked up a Marquis Salmon 2
just in time for the opener. Decided it was time to start tying summer flies. I usually wait till the last second to tie so I'm doing pretty good this year.

Kevin

Leland Miyawaki
05-23-2004, 08:23 PM
Doublespey and I fished the Cowlitz yesterday. We figured the best way to tune up for summer steelhead was to fish for them.

Leland.

Sharp Steelie
05-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Leland, agree 100 percent. Did you bring any to hand
or any takes - found some in a couple other rivers.

:cool:

Leland Miyawaki
05-23-2004, 10:29 PM
It was a prototypical Washington spring steelhead day Ė cloudy, breezy turning to rain, clearing to sunshine, then showers, followed again with clearing, then more rain followed by sultry mugginess, then more sunshine. The killer was at the takeout when just as we began dewadering, it thundered, hailed and turned into a drenching downpour.

The river was in perfect shape at 3500 cfs and chockablock full of cutthroat and smolt. The cutties ranged from 6 to 18". They were in all the runs and would attack our flies the moment they landed then nip at them all the way in or get hooked making us bring them in to hand. I can't tell you how many times I worked my Windcutter head out the guides to recast.

Throughout the day, I had visions of a small cutthroat snatching my fly away from a big wild buck just as he began to moving out of his lie.

I just know it happened . . . again and again.

Leland.

sinktip
05-23-2004, 10:44 PM
What have I done to get ready for the summer season?

Honey do's of course. It is tough when you have to cram a year of family projects into one month but it can be done. Oh and I also got my trout fix out of the way for another year by spending three days last week on the Deschutes. Of course the whole time I was down there I was looking at all the steelhead water and drooling. It is still fun to cast for redsides though and I met some great people from the Clark-Skamania Fly Fishers.

Of course I had to hit the Sandy for a day on the way home to get the spey muscle memory ready.

So when is that summer opener anyway? :D

loco_alto
05-24-2004, 01:04 AM
catching them! (one to hand tonite)

old man
05-24-2004, 10:00 PM
I usually don't do anything to get ready. Everything that I do is wait until the last minute and then go trout fishing some place on a small stream.

Jim

NrthFrk16
05-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Hmmmm...I really do not need to get ready.

I just need to get out there....fish the Sky on my way home from work and take advantage of the fact that my beloved Stilly is practically in my back yard on my days off.

You people and your responsibilities! :devil: :tsk_tsk:

Sharp Steelie
05-25-2004, 12:56 AM
Yahoo! 3 seperate rivers, 3 seperate trips, all produced
fish - they are here!:cool:

splitshot
05-25-2004, 01:28 AM
i have to wait till mid-july for the ringold steelies to get here, just up river from tri-cities. then i have to wait till september for them to get to the grand ronde. then i hope i draw a moose, sheep and goat permit and have to decide what to do. to answer the question, i dont do much in prep. except try to remember everything to take.

wet fly
05-25-2004, 11:26 AM
I will let Brian catch the first one and then try to catch up with him. My rod is hanging over the car port and always ready. I just hope it will be better then 2003. Jerry

Moonlight
05-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Went down to Swains and purchased a pair of "hip boots" for those quick spots where you do not really have to wade and do not want to take the time to "suit up"!:chuckle:

splitshot
05-26-2004, 03:30 AM
here on the dry side of washington we wade wet from july thru sept. if it is a bit cold but the air temp. is above 75 or so i put on 2-3 wrestling kneepads on each leg to stay warm. i coached wrestling for many years and they throw them away, my way.

t_richerzhagen
05-27-2004, 09:46 AM
I need to get lines for my new Meiser 11' 7" for 5/6, get it dialed in, tie some flies, learn how to build Skagit lines like brian S. does, and tie some flies. I can hardl wait.

Hammer
05-28-2004, 09:01 PM
the runs overlap here so,:devil:

Sharp Steelie
06-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Found a nice 41" native buck yesterday. Risked life
and limb chasing this one. Epic battle to say the
least. The fish are hear - not in big numbers yet,
but they are here. Get out and fish!

:eyecrazy:

KerryS
06-04-2004, 08:58 AM
41 inches huh? Wow! I have only seen one steelhead that big in my whole entire life. What an incredible thing. How many have you seen so far?:rolleyes:

Sharp Steelie
06-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Found a guessing 12-14 pound fish last week on
the NFL. Everything else have found are around
5 to 7 pounds. The fish are definately starting to
show up - still somewhat scattered, but they are
coming in. Found some on 3 seperate rivers down
here - going to try a 4th next week. Was extremely
surprised to find a large fish this early. Got the
crap beat out of me chasing it, not to mention
some dangerous wading trying to keep up with
it - did not apply any risk management! My buddy