Fly Fishing Forum banner

One evening, six species

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
I hit on a wide variety of fish after work last night at a local resevoir (yes Adrain, that resevoir). The action was fairly consistent despite wind early on, and several members of six different species came into the boat:

Largemouth bass
Yellow perch
Pumpkinseed
Bluegill
Pickeral
Black crappie

The fly that did the most damage was a tiny (size 6) 2" long baby bass clouser. There were several times that I felt like a tournament bass fisherman, simply roll casting 10-15 feet beside cover and having fish hit the fly on a slow drop. Once the wind settled down I switched to topwater. Several chunky bluegills and a few 2lb bass liked what I was throwing, which was simply a scaled down version of Popovics' Banger in yellow.

All fish were caught on my recently acquired 5wt Scott rod. What a sweet action that baby has.....:D

Gonna have to fish that resevoir's twin to the north real soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice going Mark, just curious which Scott rod did you pick up? I've been a fan of the Scott line up of blanks for a long time. Only problem was the crappy components that they often used on them but this year's rods appear to be upgraded finally. In my opinion the older SAS and the replacement A2 series are one of the best values out there.

#3 ·
The Scott I have is the SVS 905, and I'm quite pleased with it. Supple enough for delicate casts when necessary, but tough enough to move medium sized bass away from cover. I've also nymphed for trout with it and it performed quite well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.