Leaders: Mono v. Braided [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Leaders: Mono v. Braided

STeveZ
05-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Mono seems to be the most prevelant. They are of course cheaper and I was told that since they do not fray and collect dirt (like braided) they stay slicker and float better.

I have found braided leaders hard to obtain from the usual retail sources. But after a recent trial w/ mono leaders it is my intention to go back to a braided leader w/ tippet. The braided leader seems to cast much better. They are much more supple and have much less memory. The looped connections are not only convenient but smoother w/ a lower profile. (The knots involved w/ mono were a hassle and seemed to make tangles worse and more frequent)

What do you think? Any other fans of braided leaders out there?

John Desjardins
05-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Steve, welcome to the forum. I have used braided leaders for trout fishing in the past. Eventually I gave up on them after watching the spray of water they give off at times. If you go to the search function and type in "Braided Leader" you should find some threads that discuss there use, advantages & disadvantages.

Grn Highlander
05-16-2004, 09:20 AM
I use braided leaders quite a bit. There is no doubt that the pickup can throw some spray, this certainly one of the disadvantages.

I do like them for the reasons you stated. Atlantic salmon don't seem all that leader shy, so this is less of an issue, but again you never really know if you are truly putting down fish.

If you were fishing for fish that are leader senstative or have seen a lot of flies, perhaps a longer tippet on the braided or switch to conventional. I guess it depends on the situation.

STeveZ
05-16-2004, 06:21 PM
I did a little research last night and ordered a couple of furled leaders. Sounds like they may offer the best of both worlds...