Cape Cod - Run the English are coming [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cape Cod - Run the English are coming

jamie
05-10-2004, 11:13 AM
I am starting to get everything together for my two weeks in Cape Cod starting 8th June. I have a rental in Hyannis and have hired an SUV. Spent the weekend casting into the English Channel and sorting out rods and reels.

A look through my collection of salty flies led me to think, my twee little English flies which catch our modest saltwater fish, might get laughed at by the HUGE fish I have been dreaming about catching. Can anyone suggest some flies, including which colours and sizes I should be tying for June fishing?

Any help would be very much appreciated

SageBoy
05-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Don't under estimate those small fly's. My biggest Striper's have been caught on my smallest fly's. When I have to tie on my 'go to' fly it's one of the smallest I have and usually out produces the bigger ones.

The good thing about the time of year your going is that those Stripa's will take almost anything.

If it ain't char truce....it ain't no use...:chuckle:

jamie
05-10-2004, 11:35 AM
I don't know Sageboy. Some of my estuary flies go down to size 10.

Hear you on the chartreuse, though some of my shrimps are going to look a little odd in that colour. :hehe:

striprman
05-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by jamie
I am starting to get everything together for my two weeks in Cape Cod starting 8th June. I have a rental in Hyannis and have hired an SUV. Spent the weekend casting into the English Channel and sorting out rods and reels.

A look through my collection of salty flies led me to think, my twee little English flies which catch our modest saltwater fish, might get laughed at by the HUGE fish I have been dreaming about catching. Can anyone suggest some flies, including which colours and sizes I should be tying for June fishing?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Use flys that look like herring/alewife, mackerel, small menhaden, and squid. Squid,herring and mackerel flies i think would work well. Theres alot of fishing stores on the cape. Stop by a few and see what they offer.
Don't forget spinning tackle works really well also.
[/url]http://webpages.charter.net/mikemahler/images/buffielarge.jpg[/url]

grego
05-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Jamie;

Yes, I think #10's are a bit "under-kill"!

Typically the stuff we call small is usually #4, #2, #1.

"Average" Striper Flies run #1 - 3/0

BIG Stuff is in the 4/0 - 6/0 range!

Definately Check out the "Archive of Patterns" forum on this Board! (and others)

I have also found resources like the Orvis
Catalog is a good place to get Ideas for Patterns.

Finally, in June, make sure you bring some wire or very heavy Flourocarbon
(~30#), to make Bite tippets, because you may be seeing some "Toothy" Buefish !!!!

Finally, Finally, you may want to take advantage to some of the Flie Auctions that "Iron Mike" is running. Good place to get some flies tied by "The Locals"

Good Luck Guv-nah !!

GregO.

Dave17
05-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Jamie,

I second what grego said. Go to the archive of patterns on this board and set it it to view all threads back to the beginning. If you plan on fishing Monomoy you'll want a few shrimp and crab patterns for the flats. Also check out Juro's deep eel. Best of luck.

Dave

juro
05-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Starting June 8th you'll have a lot of bass and blues at your disposal. More blues than bass toward the end unless you drive around a bit to the east, unless you have a boat to run around out on the shoals around Hyannis.

You'll be into the peak inshore season with the migration and herring run over with for the most part. Fish will be settling into their regimen of sand eels, various crabs, shrimp and silversides not to mention juvie flounder and clamworms. Fish on the outside beaches are open to all kinds of suggestions when they come to the beach to eat, but most are feasting on large sand eels and will take big flies off hours too.

I wouldn't worry too much about having flies tied to bring over, I would worry instead about being able to convert what you observe into flies that match your growing intuition over the days you spend out there. In other words bring stuff to tie with.

As a start, I'd have a few basic flies in the box tied on 1/0-2/0 hooks in the 2-6" class:
- 4-6" Sand eel (sand lance) pattern, silverside or a hybrid pattern
- deceiver in herring colors and large eyes
- foam bodied popper for blues
- crab patterns in the size used for permit

Then a few BIG flies for the backside beaches:
- 8-10" sand eels
- 10-12" herring (deceivers)
- other chunk of meat flies

And maybe a couple of small flies in bonefish size for the flats:
- gotchas in subtle tans

Remember that the fly is not the most important consideration for success. It's far more important to get in front of feeding fish than choose a pattern to throw at them when it comes to striped bass. I could get through a whole season with fantastic catch rates using only one fly pattern (e.g. a deceiver or a silverside) just by focusing on the more important things than fly selection.

Good luck and hope we can hook up during your stay.

jamie
05-11-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by grego
Jamie;

Yes, I think #10's are a bit "under-kill"!

Typically the stuff we call small is usually #4, #2, #1.

Good Luck Guv-nah !!

GregO.
Those are my average sized flies. I think IronMikes auction has ended?

Nice one Mate!!

jamie
05-11-2004, 05:50 AM
Dave17 and Juro,

Thanks for the advice.

Paxton
05-11-2004, 07:37 AM
Jamie,
Looks like you got all the advice you need. You are coming at a great time of the year! The flats of South Beach (Chatham) as well as Monomoy, will be productive. You can't miss with Juro's deep eel...I've tied them from 3 to 6+ inches to match the hatch....chartreous is good, as are tan/white on the flats. Ray's fly works well and of course the silversides. Tan and olive shrimp on size4 or 6 hooks are good to have....for some reason, the olive has been more productive for me on the flats.
P.M. or email me if you are looking for a partner....will be happy to share what little I know, take you on the flats, and share a few flies if something I'm using is working :-) I.m a 2 1/2 drive away, so if you write, do it the day before :-)
Safe flight....dream of fish....this area is heaven!
Ron

jamie
05-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Thanks Paxton,

I have been blown away by the responses from the posters on this forum. Lots of offers of company which I will try and take up; you cannot beat local knowledge.

Thanks,

flyfisha1
05-11-2004, 08:32 AM
When are you guys on the Cape going to get a book written that covers all of this information? Seems like there are more than enough members with years of experience that could contribute. A journal format, with one or more people writing specific sections, would be cool.