Berkley FireLine? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Berkley FireLine?

vortex
05-08-2004, 05:42 PM
I have been playing with Berkley FireLine and trying to forumlate a way to make it work in place of a leader and tippet and was wondering if anyone else has tried this?

Hammer
05-08-2004, 06:21 PM
explain why you need to use it for this purpose,,should make a running/shooting line ,but,,are using it for indie's or????isn't this their `threadline',,like `spiderwire':confused:

Greg Pavlov
05-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by vortex
I have been playing with Berkley FireLine and trying to forumlate a way to make it work in place of a leader and tippet and was wondering if anyone else has tried this?
Fireline is limp with no memory/body whatsoever. I don't think that it will work well as leader material. I've been using Fireline as my main line for spin fiishing pretty much ever since it came out, but I tie about 8 feet of mono onto the end and when I make leaders, I use mono for those as well.

vortex
05-09-2004, 04:37 AM
Well, your right, it makes crappy leader... however, I am seeing it's potential for tippet though. Use 6 feet of the 4lb FireLine (2lb mono dia.) and it sails nicely through the air.
Im going to 'field test' it at the end of the month for my MT, WY and ID fishing trip.
The only caveat to this is I don't trust the knots traditionally used to tie tippet to leader. But again, I'll see what happens when I get hooked into a fish :)

Greg Pavlov
05-09-2004, 12:53 PM
[i]The only caveat to this is I don't trust the knots traditionally used to tie tippet to leader. But again, I'll see what happens when I get hooked into a fish :) [/B]
I use the simple blood knot (p.44 in my edition of "Practical Fishing Knots II" by Kreh and Sosin) with 8 turns when tying mono to Fireline. When I'm done I test it, naturally, and about once out of every 5 - 6 times it pulls apart. When it doesn''t pull apart, it doesn't fail any time thereafter. At least,that's been my experience: I've done this hundreds of times and had only one failure that I am aware of.

vortex
05-09-2004, 03:51 PM
That's what I used for testing and it did pull apart rightaway. I then tried an Albright knot which held fine but forms a large knot.
I only wrapped the Blood 6 times though, so I'll try 8 now.

Maxg
05-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Here is a neat trick. Get some Loctite Polyethylene oxidising agent and apply it to the Fireline knot and then lock everything with a drop of Loctite 406 CA glue. It will glue the knot together. Give it a try, but chat to the Loctite bloke first. Max

vortex
05-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Awesome idea, I'll try it

kjackson
05-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Try the uni-to-uni knot. I've had really good luck with it joining FireLine and Spiderwire Stealth to monofilament-- often of very different diameters. It's quicker than a blood knot for me. I have had problems using it on all-fluorocarbon leaders, but for joining FireLine and fluorocarbon, it's worked quite well.

Keith

vortex
09-26-2007, 04:44 PM
OK, I know it's been a really long time since this thread has been updated, but for it's worth, here it is:

Using FireLine as tippet works great for casting and hiding the line ( I used Smoke colored line). The only problem is since FireLine has zero stretch, your leader becomes the the first point at which your line stretch begins.
Depending on what shape, and weight leader you use, this could be good or bad.

It worked fine for me, and I am going back to the Sheridan, Wyoming area this October for another try at it.

Guernseybass
10-20-2007, 10:19 PM
The only problem is since FireLine has zero stretch, your leader becomes the the first point at which your line stretch begins.

Depending on what shape, and weight leader you use, this could be good or bad.

this fireline stuff i think will be useful for nymphing czech style for trout or where a long cast is needed.

I haven't tried it yet but i am going to - i was thinking 2ft of fluro attached to 7ft of clear braid.

GB