rodgers resort on vancouver island [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: rodgers resort on vancouver island

splitshot
05-08-2004, 02:12 AM
i went to weigh west last summer and was disappointed,was thinking of going a bit further north to rodgers resort. my question is; has anyone been there? if you have , how was the stay and would you return, etc. thaks for watching. mike w.

North Island
06-04-2004, 08:02 PM
You might want to consider Top Guides out of Campbell River.

It's a little different than the west coast but equally good fishing. Morgan Mclean [top guides] is always a gentleman and a great fisher. One of the few guides I have any respect for.

Just my opinion N I:)

andre
06-09-2004, 10:31 AM
I went to the Charlottes last year and had a blast. Hammered the Silvers and got 1 Spring on the fly (cast). We are going back again this year and expect to flyfish more. NI what patterns are you using? / suggest. Mid/late August.

I will say it is simply amazing to have a spring at the end of your line in the salt chuck. Just think steelhead with roid rage!

andre

North Island
06-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Andre,

Chartreuse Clousers are a must have!
Frozen Shrimp
Copper Clousers
Actually Clousers in all baitfish colours
Glass minows in olive, mauve, blue, green, and purple. I like to use the llama fiber for the backs
Polar bear hairwing streamers, in all the above colours
Pearl Mickey
Handle bar by Bob weir
California Neil
Coho blue and golden
Large Chatreuse Prawn patterns for chinook

It's been my experience that you don't really need the 6-8 inch bucktails however some guys swear by them. [trolling] I know that the tinsel chenille patterns like the silver thorn etc. are popular in the Charlottes but Iv'e had very little luck with them.

I hope you hve a good time in the Charlottes. The fishing there is truly spectacular.

Cheers N I

andre
07-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Thanks NI, When in the tides do you prefer fishing? Are you actively fishing structure such as rocks, points,etc, or kelp structure?

ajl

North Island
07-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Andre,

I mostly fish the beaches. My favorite tide is the bottom turn, for three reasons. One, quite often it is a high feeding activity time for salmon. Two, as I approach the beach I mentally map the different areas on the beach itself like, eelgrass, rock piles, deep pools, sand bars etc. This info I try to take advantage of as the tide comes in and water covers the different features Three, the water, bait and target species are comming towards you. As opposed to going away with a falling tide. I think these ideas also transfer to boat fishing, my approach is basically the same whether I'm in a boat or on the beach.

Structure, absolutley. I actively target all structure. Second only to bait signs, such as surface activity, birds of prey, seals (evil beasts), and of course my personal favourite . . . jumping salmon.

Have you decided where on the island you would be fishing?

Cheers N I

andre
07-06-2004, 02:20 PM
We are going to be fishing out of the QCL lodge, we are doing the tug this year to maximize the fishing time (been told that a good tip will bring dinner and beer to the skiff). The lodge is located on the north end of Graham Island (sp?).