Zane Gray [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Zane Gray

striblue
11-17-2001, 01:11 PM
Just planning for the cold months and have a question. I was visiting the large B&N book store in Burlington and looked though some of Zane Gray's Fishing "adventure" books. There were several.. South sea islands, tuna ad marlin, etc. Can anyone comment or recommend them. I just wanted to get some opinions before I fork over the cash.. They did look good as I skimmed them. Also, just got my first edition Joe Brooks "Saltwater Fly Fishing" pub. 1950 form Ken Andersen book dealer. Thanks

juro
11-17-2001, 03:27 PM
I like Zane. He was a heck of a steelheader out in the Umpqua as well I hear. Reading about him makes me wish I could have lived a life like that!

Adrian
11-20-2001, 09:01 AM
John

I thoroughly recommend him - a great fireside read about some classic battles with huge Tuna and Swordfish.

It's interesting to note that, even back in those "good old days" Zane laments the demise of what were once "legendary" fisheries.

I guess all things are relative.

Eric
11-20-2001, 10:55 AM
Eastham Press put out a beautiful edition of Grey's "Tales" books about 10 years ago. These are nicely finished and bound (gold edges, leather, the whole bit) and should be showing up on the used shelves regularly by now.

Grey is mainly associated with salt water big game, but his _Tales of Fresh Water Fishing_ (I think that's the title) would be of great interest to non-blue water types. I particularly enjoy his account (and photographs) of his trips down the Rogue through what is now the wild and scenic portion, as well as the famous recounting of the early days on the North Fork of the Umpqua.

The books are well written and well illustrated with photos and line drawings.
The orginal trade editions of his books have value for collectors. If the book is attractively priced, you might buy it on spec.

Bottom line is that I'm glad I subscribed to the series and have read repeatedly the fresh water (North and South America) and New Zealand selections.

Cheers,

Eric

Chris
11-25-2001, 05:34 PM
There was a tome out about ten years ago called "Undiscovered Zane Grey Fishing Stories. It's no longer in print but I did find it listed at www.twentyonenorthmain.com (http://). It was an real good read. It contained stories on trout fishing of which there weren't many by him. It's in storage since selling my house but I think there were 7 stories. There also is a woman who is his official chronicler at Dartmouth University, I've read a few blurbs about what an excellent biographer she is in Fly Rod and Reel mag.
Chris :D

striblue
11-25-2001, 09:46 PM
I just picked up a paperback in large type call "Tales of Fishes". B&N lso had "Tales of Freshwater Fishes" and "Tales of Swordfish and Tuna". There was another one on New Zeland. Looks good and great photo's and to think that it was originally published in 1919.