Budget SW Reel? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Budget SW Reel?

randingo
05-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Hi. I'm trying to put together an outfit for stripers at the Jersey Shore on a *really* tight budget. I've got a line on a used Sage RPLX 1090 for a good price and I'm trying to find a reel for something like $150 (or less, if possible) that I won't regret buying in a month and will stand up to a couple of years of use. Right now, I'm looking at a Tioga 12LA that I might be able to pick up for around $100. My sense is that, relative to something like the XI2, the RPLX feels somewhat heavier in the tip and may take the extra weight of the slightly oversized reel well. I'll also get the true benefit of the large arbor. Does this seem a reasonable choice or do you have other affordable suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Moose
05-05-2004, 06:56 AM
I own a few, including the LA12 and I can attest that they are very good reels. The entire drag assembly is sealed, no parts to worry about losing or adjusting. The drag works quite well and handles big fish. Look at E Bay, get brand new one in the price range you seek.

SageBoy
05-11-2004, 11:21 AM
I may be a little late in replying but if you haven't purchased a reel yet take a look at the Redington GD 9/10. For around $130 it's tough to beat.

flyfisha1
05-11-2004, 12:47 PM
Randingo - Having owned both Tioga and GD reels, I'd go with the Tioga for the better drag.

randingo
05-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for helping me out. I picked up a new Tioga 12LA on ebay for $99 bucks. I think it was a pretty good deal and should keep me happy for a while. Any thoughts about line for an RPLX 1090? I'm thinking about an Airflo 35' Intermediate shooting head but would be happy to hear what else you might recommend. Should I get a full floater as well? If so, any thoughts? Thanks again.

Randy

SageBoy
05-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Which ever line you decide you should consider over lining that rod. Especially with an Intermediate line. Just a suggestion.

Tod D
05-12-2004, 02:41 PM
I overline my 1090 by 1 for floater & intermediate, and use a 450 grain depth charge for sinking. Find going 1 up causes it to load a bit nicer - at least for me. your mileage may vary...

It's a good rod. Have fun.