First cast curse? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First cast curse?

John Desjardins
11-16-2001, 09:29 PM
I confess with weather in the hi 60's I played hooky and went fishing today. My catch for the day was one 4" brook trout on the very first cast. After that while the fish were biting I couldn't hook anything for the life of me.

My question is has anyone else experienced the curse of catching a fish on the first cast?

Fred Evans
11-16-2001, 09:45 PM
You are a very, very, very "sick" person to ask this question. I've had (more than one actually) where I've been stripping line of the reel on my spey rod and hooked a fish. (One occation the others there told me - with a big smile - to take my spey rod and get the hell off the river). Then hours of shoulder development.

Guess that's why they call it "fishing" not "catching."
fe

John Desjardins
11-16-2001, 11:38 PM
Sorry Fred, I didn't mean to be a very, very, very sick person. I guess it just came shooting out of that portion of the brain that gets me in trouble }>.

Fred Evans
11-17-2001, 07:38 AM
Love the answer; even the little green devil face is appropriate.
:>) !!

juro
11-17-2001, 07:57 AM
John -

Definitely have had the experience... and given the choice I'd rather have a whole day of nuthin' and a big bang at the end of the day to relish a beer over than to get hook up immediately and walk off the water wondering if I had lost something.

JimW
11-17-2001, 08:28 AM
I am not a superstitious person but I have been the victim of the First Cast Curse and try as I may there's no explanation. The last time it happened I was on South Beach, heading out all psyched up with visions of backing screaming off the reel. I make a cast and feel the pull of a schoolie thinking to myself Oh No! not again. Maybe it's a state of mind, who knows. I guess it's better to get a fish on the first cast than none at all.

mayflyman
12-08-2001, 08:57 PM
I have had, every cast curse. :(
I have had, back cast curse. (involves trees) :o
I have had, the snag curse. :rolleyes:
I even had the catching curse... ;) I caught so many fish once,(over 70 crappies in one hour) my arm felt like it was going to fall off.
"I'll never forget the many colorful, heartfelt words from the shore fishermen & women as I reaped and released 70+ fish from their favorite fishing hole, just beyond their bait-casting limits." :D

Truth is, the school of crappies was hitting a pale color caddis hatch, the shore people could not see the hatch in progress.
Ha! Minnow users. :rolleyes: