Magellan GPS questions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Magellan GPS questions

tglynos
05-03-2004, 11:52 PM
I'm looking to buy a handheld GPS unit under 300 bones that can withstand the rigors of the salt. I am considering the Magellan Meridian Marine Unit. Does anyone have any advice or anecdotal experience with this unit, or sugesstions on one to look in to? thanks :eyecrazy:

SageBoy
05-04-2004, 08:02 PM
I looked into that unit when I was in search of a hand held with mapping and after doing some extensive research I went with the Garmin GPS Map 76. It's a great little unit. I also purchased the Blue Charts for it so that I could also use the unit for my boat.

Based on my personal findings the Garmin out performed the particular Megellan you are thinking about. But that is just my opinion.

tglynos
05-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Can you explain in what capacity it was out performed? thank you for your advice.

SageBoy
05-05-2004, 07:16 AM
The biggest concern of mine and to me the most important finding was it's ability to lock on to satelites. I do want to remind you and anyone who is reading this is that this is only what I have read and heard, not my own personal experience.

When I had found this out it definitely made my choice a lot easier. The last thing I needed to worry about is being out somewhere in dense fog and need to figure out where I am in relation to land. Even worse...if I was stranded some where and I needed to give my current position to someone who has to come look for me and I can't due to poor reception.

I am sure all units have there days when they have trouble locking up but I have got to tell you..I was all over the place last year in the boat and not once did I ever have an issue locking up. One day in particular I was trolling in some real soup..couldn't see 50' in front of me and without having the basemap to see where I was in relation to land I probably would have just dropped anchor until it lifted. The only thing I kept thinking is if this unit all of a sudden looses recption..well you get the idea.

Any other questions I would be happy to answer them. My email is jmr1520@aol.com

tglynos
05-05-2004, 10:20 PM
thank you so much for your advice, it will definitely assist me with my purchase. It would be pretty bad to get lost in some thick soup and end up in the perfect storm without knowing the way home!!

Nick
05-06-2004, 06:49 AM
In addition, I also find the Garmin products to be easier to use. They seem to be more intuitive.