1st Strippers of the season [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 1st Strippers of the season

bonefishmon
04-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Driving home from work this evening at 6:30 pm, I crossed the bridge to the island where we live in Mystic, Ct.. and as I looked out into the estuary I longed for the long rod in my my hand wondering if the stripers were back after this long cold winter. The first thing my son said when he arrived home shortly thereafter was "Hey Dad, that marsh sure does look fishy!" My 10 year old daughter said "Can I come, please!" That was my cue! Dinner will have to wait! My son Timothy is Home from Bozeman, Montana and has been itching for his first striper after four years away. "Get the waders!" I said and I managed to find a pair of old fly weights for my daughter along with the sneakers she had recently muddied on a event with her friends in the marsh. So, here we were, the three of us just happy to be in the water that we have waited all winter to imerse ourselves in. With flies chosen and rods rigged, you could not have met three happier people! The water sure looked fishy. The blue bird sky was turning dark as we started to lay our lines out. No activity and no sign of bait on the last of the outgoing tide. Ten or fifteen casts later my son was asking if we were wasting our time? No sooner than he was done with that phrase I launched my best cast of the evening and the water boiled under my line as it straightened out over the channel. STRIPERS!!!!! Three strips and I was into a five lb. bass on my 9 wt.. I asked my son to cast near my tippet and he too was into a twinkie. Ya Mon! A double! Caught another shortly thereafter as darkness approached. Nina was ready to go home having landed the last fish in the darkness. She really likes the waders! Looks like there's a seven weight in her future! Tight lines folks! Another season begins!!!!!!

Phil Sheffield

Adrian
04-28-2004, 11:58 PM
Great post Phil! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

juro
04-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Wont be long now! Thanks Phil. I'd better start tying!

bonefishmon
04-29-2004, 04:03 AM
Sorry about the spelling! Have not been to a strip club in recent memory! LOL! There are lots of big fish beening caught at the dams locally due to the herring runs. That started three weeks ago! Thames and Pawcatuck Rivers. I would like to fish the Narrow River in RI. Never been there. Can anyone fill me in?

Phil

Dave17
04-29-2004, 09:22 AM
Phil,

I'm originally from Norwich, do you know of any good wading spots in SE Connecticut? I'd like to have a place to go when I go back to visit my parents.

Dave

bonefishmon
04-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Yes Dave. Email me when you plan a visit again and I'll show you a few spots. When are you coming down again?

Phil

Slinger
04-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Hey Phil!
The breachways should have fish this weekend with all this warm air. We`re on the short time to worms now!
Slinger