Well...are they going to be there? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Well...are they going to be there?

sean
04-28-2004, 01:26 PM
A week from Sunday I will be on the cape. Looking at the forecast:

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/boston/forecast.asp

It seems things may be starting to finally warm up for you guys.

However the big questions is....will there be a schnauzer or 2 waiting for me when I get there???

Here is where I am staying and I hear it is somewhat close to chatham:

http://www.ivponline.com/vacation-rentals/united-states_massachusetts_rentals_orleans.html

Looking forward to the spring clave and plan to be out every morning while I am there stalking a beach or two.

So if you see a guy with a dirty forum hat on who looks like he should be steelheading instead of running around on a beach stop and say hello.

-sean

GregD
04-28-2004, 01:33 PM
I think you will hit it just about right. Lot's of reports of fish on the beach and around the mouth of many of the rivers.

Best of luck to you and tight lines.

Greg

juro
04-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Canada Geese came honking, then the buzzards. Robins were seen picking at the ground, then the cardinals came back to my yard. The blue herons are on the rookery again, and the crocus bloomed, followed by daffodils and tulips. The herring are in the rivers, and finally the apple trees bloomed, but they are deceiving. For me the final sign that invariably means the arrival of striped bass to our waters is the cherry blossom. Calendar dates have varied dramatically but there has never been a year that the cherry blossoms have betrayed me.

That hasn't happened yet, but it looks pretty good with this warm weather finally coming to the region. Certainly by the spring clave weekend we'll be in fat city!

striblue
04-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Sean, looking forward to seeing you.

FredA
04-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Suspect there will be a lot of scouting this weekend with the weather forcast as it is. Should have a feel for how the migration is going by the end of the weekend, I would think.

bonefishmon
04-29-2004, 04:13 AM
Good to see the Cherry Blossoms in full bloom along with tha Magnolia's down here in Mystic. The Shadblow bushes are almost ready to show. Azaleas flowers are starting to drop! Hey Fred! Good luck this weekend. Please keep us all informed. Will you please try South Beach? When does Keith start running?

Phil

FishHawk
04-29-2004, 07:41 AM
I believe Kieth starts on May 1. The early scouts have been filtering in. Water temps in the mid forties. Another four degrees and the main school will arrive. Will be good to meet the Steelheader from the West.
FishHawk:D

flydoc
04-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Water temp at Woods Hole presently 49.3 according to NODC website.....fair chance of some activity around there (if not South Beach/Monomoy) this weekend. May still venture out to SB/Monomoy to scout and say high to Keith and company...I'll be the one with 4-5 wind knots in my leader....DOGHHHH!!!!:eyecrazy:
Shep (aka Homer the Gomer...)

JimW
04-30-2004, 06:17 AM
Check this out (http://baymenoutfitters.com/storenews/)

juro
04-30-2004, 06:35 AM
According to NOAA New London hit 54 degrees yesterday.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/natl.html
http://www.maineharbors.com/weather/seatemp2.htm

In any case, with south winds and good temps we ought to see fish in all the usual haunts within the next several days IMHO.

Paxton
04-30-2004, 06:59 AM
Shep, I'll be out in the tub area scouting for fish mid Saturday morning till dusk. I'll be the one with a smile on my face, fish or no fish. Will look for a guy with wind knots
:)
Ron

juro
04-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Might try the boat basin straight out from the rotary at West Dennis Beach on the Bass River as well, often traps early migrants. I'd fish that after the tub on the way home in the afternoon at low tide. Best fishing is out about 50-100 yards west of the parking lot, bottom is mucky but the fish love it in there. I've caught and released many an April legal sized fish out of that hole.

I don't mind talking about this hole on line because in a week or two it won't be worth stopping at until next April. It's a one hit wonder type of spot.

Good luck!

FredA
04-30-2004, 07:19 AM
Just got back from a look at west dennis, boat basin etc. Nobody around. Figured I'd get back to the house and do some work, then hit an upstream spot later, at the top of the tide, rather than wet a line now. It's breezy and cold down here but the wind is from the good direction. A bit of a shock yesterday after the summerlike weather inland, when I stopped to tank up in Bourne...brrrr.

Paxton
04-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Juro, Thanks for the suggestion....if the tub is dead, I'll give it a try.
Ron
PS: flies you sent, arrived...thanks.

juro
04-30-2004, 08:21 AM
In no way meaning to question your botanical prowess my friend, but are you sure they are not apple blossoms? Some apple blooms are white but many are pink and look like cherry. Fools gold of the striper migration indicator world, I fall for it every year. The cherry blooms usually near when the magnolia petals fall, at least in my yard.

Keith hopes to get up and running this weekend, definitely by next weekend. Worth a call 508-945-5450

He mentioned that there will be a hearing for more restricted access to the refuge coming up soon - PLEASE PLAN TO ATTEND. We need to make a strong showing for access to the refuge, the locals want to shut it down.

Originally posted by bonefishmon
Good to see the Cherry Blossoms in full bloom along with tha Magnolia's down here in Mystic. The Shadblow bushes are almost ready to show. Azaleas flowers are starting to drop! Hey Fred! Good luck this weekend. Please keep us all informed. Will you please try South Beach? When does Keith start running?

Phil

flydoc
04-30-2004, 07:10 PM
Just got off the phone with Keith....he won't be running until the 8th due to wind, boat prepping, etc. Looks like either Woods Hole or Cliff Pond for tomorrow....
Shep:rolleyes:

Adrian
04-30-2004, 09:18 PM
There's always the "Death March" for those who are really determined:devil:

FishHawk
05-01-2004, 04:18 AM
So it's the same every year so are better than others.
Adrian if you need a mate for the death march let me know.
Hope to see you maybe at the Clave Fri. dinner.
FishHawk:D

juro
05-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Sean -

Looking like the recent S/SW blow pushed the fish into the region, many folks are reporting micro's along the coast. By the time we do the clave we should have some "real" fish to battle, your timing is excellent!

Keep wishing for more SW winds and see you soon.

Chris
05-01-2004, 08:28 AM
I'm getting pumped. Things start so late here in Maine. A good sign though, yesterday I saw my first osprey. A sure sign the herring have arrived here. It all follows from there.

Paxton
05-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Went to the Lighthouse (tub in front of Outermost) for the dropping tide.....nothing doing, no bait sighted. 3-4 guys tried as well....nothing. Left after a couple of hours and went to Bass River, fished the last 3 hrs of the outgoing.......picked up only 2 twinkies (but large in my eyes after a cold winter). Some others also picked up one or two each.....not many fish as of yet. Hords of 3 inch sandeels spotted in the river. Juro, tried your place near the rotary.....nothing yet. Will try it again next week.
Was great to get out and do something fun! Wind was horrific!!!!!
My guess is that numbers will arrive at SB in about 10 days unless it get cold again.
Hope others had better success.
Ron