Am I just being too 'sensitive'? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Am I just being too 'sensitive'?

inland
04-27-2004, 05:52 PM
(Rant mode on)

There are three things that take place on the fish-internet that raise my ire (And I know I am not alone here):

1) People who must post specifics about rivers. This is pretty much self explanatory, and thankfully it is kept in check here.

2) Glory grip and grin shots. Come on guys, does everybody aspire to be Tom Pero and have your mug plastered on every magazine cover?

3) Specifics about numbers of fish, for the whole world to see, when used in ANY context other than 'scientific' purposes. I can not care any less about how many, when, what flies, or where. The number of notches on your headboard is YOUR business, please spare the world of your braggadocio.

(Rant mode off)

William

sinktip
04-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Finally a good rant :devil:

Agree 100% on items 1 and 3. Had not thought too much about #2 until you posted it. Since I don't want to be compared to the person listed, I guess I better get a new pic for my avatar.

Does it count if it was taken with a disposable camera and not Photo Shopped ;) Nevermind.

andre
04-27-2004, 06:42 PM
1) I agree

2) Depends on purpose, I'm anti "look at me"

3) You know, I think this depends on context. I posted the other day about putting fish (with a dry line) on the beach. Was I bragging I don't think I was. The point was the fish will move to take the fly.

Andre

highlander2
04-27-2004, 08:19 PM
In regards to items 1,2,3 I think most of the people who frequent this board are pretty much a class act from what I have seen, in comparison to some other sites. I don't think your going to see as many grip and grin shots either with the new rules in efect, at least in this state!

Brian

beau purvis
04-27-2004, 08:25 PM
andre,
Same reason I mentioned #'s the other day on scratching the bottom thread. Wanted to convince some guys that they dont always have to fish on the bottom ,with some stats[which is all some guys will listen to]!!!
What really riles me about hero shots is when I see guys do it with every fricking average size fish they catch.Geazz! Is that necessary?I saw guys on Skeena that took pictures of every fish and pulled them up on the rocks to do it!Not one over 13-14! I mean like 15-20 fish for 4 guys!!I also hate it when they drag them out on the rocks.Saw a Loop team Dane do it over and over on the Dean. My experience has been when there is a commercial interest involved that guys will go the limit to get a hero shot for an ad.We finaly intervened aggressively!!!I still like a shot once in a while if it is mid 20's and up. But even than prefer more artistic shots.I.E., extreme closeups ,partials. etc. especially if you can still have some scale to imply the enormity as well as the beauty.Beau

GPearson
04-27-2004, 10:40 PM
William,

one of the reasons that I pay attention to this site and nearly no others is because of the lack on #'s1,2 and 3. Is your rant to let us know that we are lucky to all share this informative site or have I missed some violations of 1,2 and/or 3?

Beau,

I'll one up you. How about the guy that plays a fish for 20 min. that should have taken 5 and THEN drags them onto the rocks to land it (i am not talking about first timers but people that should know better). Seeing wild steelhead dragged onto the rocks is a real sore spot for me I would hate to see it repeated 20 times by the same 4 dudes.

I was once with some dudes from a famous fishing mag and got a real insight into where a big, wild brown trout rated in their eyes. Right behind getting the perfect photo. They messed with the fish for what seemed to me to be an hour (15-20 min. or so). I feel a bit differently now when I see those beautiful fish pictures in the magazines.

Greg

beau purvis
04-27-2004, 11:41 PM
well when I hopped out of the boat protesting the treatment of the fish,I said if I saw him do it again I would drag him through the rocks!could not take it anymore! the bad thing was that the river Gaurdians found a note of the same violation,by the same person ,followed by a formal govt warning from the prior seasons records.So here he was doing it again! that may be one of the reasons [or excuses]being used for the possible rule changes for nonres on that river.[ only a guess]. anyway, here he was next year pretending to not understand english when confronted!Beau

paul locke
04-27-2004, 11:49 PM
hi inland, very good post! as new boy from new europe, i tend to keep fairly quiet but you hit nail dead on. a stage further on these guys are lecturing re catch and release etc and then showing their logo with undersized expiring fish. what is point? we all catch fish, and i am anti photos, measuring, kissing fish et al. you've had your fun , catch and release {ONCE NETS ARE GONE ENTIRELY} mark it in your journal and write article if anything unusuable about tussle, but who needs to back it up with bad propaganda paul

Hammer
04-28-2004, 01:06 AM
but not in a bad way,,,this is why i prefer to fly fish,and visit this site often,,the quality of the people that post here,there views about the resources;i don't brag about fish cought,i doesn't matter,yes size doesn't matter,,,, but always the same journey;respecting what's left of the natural world, not much left,,my little home river runs through so much development,it's mind boggling,i've seen it happen,,pretty soon our grandchildren won't need an internet,they'll simply shout `down the line',guys from the magazine mentioned need an `eye test',maybe we should gang up,,pummel them with-mails:hehe:

inland
04-28-2004, 02:59 AM
Greg,

This site does the best job of any on the net.

As to the other point brought up about the magazine photography. Our first trip East (in '97 I think), catching Haywood 'brighties', if you remember, the Loomis group did get a fresh 30+ hen. They had that poor salmon out of the water for nearly 10 minutes to the point the slime was drying in the breeze: all in the name of "Glory". Still sour about that one.

I am not dogging responsible fish photos! BTW, I love the new Washinton State fish in water rule!

William

Andy_P
04-28-2004, 04:54 PM
I personally love to get the "hero shot" Since I havent caught too many steelies in my life, every one I catch is amazing to me. I want a great shot of every last one that I can put on my wall or whatever....

When I have caught as many as the rest of you, then I will be a bit more choosy as to which fish get to pose with me and which get to swim away ten seconds sooner.

Edit: and yes I keep them in the water at all times

KerryS
04-28-2004, 05:16 PM
I think the Wa. State Law to keep fish in the water is unenforceable, unneeded and a total waste of time. Those that will keep fish in the water will; those that won’t won’t. The time, effort and money wasted on this could have been used to educate with far better results.

Sharp Steelie
05-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Andy P - when you get yourself a nice beautiful large
Steelie, would like to see a picture of it. I for one
believe in celebrating the success of others. Isn't
that what sharing is truly about - to help others
be more successful. At least that's the way I see it.
Hope to see a pic soon.:cool: