keeper in nyc [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: keeper in nyc

brooklynangler
04-26-2004, 10:32 PM
roosevelt island- right under the bridge. 10pm saturday night (my wife LOVES saturday nights).

15' Hexagraph throwing big lumpy casts and drifting flatwings and clousers. Got around 15-20 1-5lbers and then, whammo. not the fighter that me last keeper was, but the tide was coming in and she must have been broadside to a fast current. once out the current, she flopped and took short spurts and then I hand lined her up the 10' sea wall (thank you 25lb tippet). a speedy release in an inlet of sort.

SO- never got a keeper this early in 8 years of fishing the nyc bight. anyone else seeing good signs?

craig
04-27-2004, 04:53 AM
Congrats! Can't wait till they make it up into our area. I got the boat ready and waiting for their arrival. Have a great season!

flyfisha1
04-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Stand by for a PM...

IronMike
04-27-2004, 05:34 AM
Well, A-ROD may not be a keeper, but at least the stripers in NY are! :)

Adrian
04-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Excellent Joe!

Sounds like I better plan an evening in Manhattan :smokin:

capt_gordon
04-27-2004, 07:59 AM
Brooklyn angler,
Am I to assuem from your description that you were flycasting from the seawall? On the Brooklyn side? That is really cool.

Stan
04-27-2004, 05:24 PM
brooklynangler congrats on that fish. You should try fishing ASTORIA PARK on the Queens side of the Triboro Bridge. Lot's of fish there at this time of year but you will need korkers cause the rocks are slimy but at least you won't have to pull the fish over a sea wall like you have to do at Roosevelt Island.

brooklynangler
04-28-2004, 08:43 PM
The Brookyln side- facing costco. The otherside was very productive last season... crashing of baitfish and the whole nine. Pods of blues, eels, MADNESS!!!

Not the most glorious flycasting environs ever, but with a long rod, you can really do a lot.

Thanks and good luck to you all and please be careful there- walking on the seawall rocks caused me a broken ulna 2 years ago. Corkers are a MUST...or do as I do and just don't walk there anymore.

Cheers-

Joe