Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cats

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Newbie55 
#1 ·
Since I live in an area where bass are very heavily pressured, where the panfish in any body of water find it necessary to stunt, and northerns can't be caught within a solid hours drive, I'm looking at some pretty obscure bodies of water to flyfish. I know of a tiny little pond that is loaded, and I mean loaded with catfish. These cats are roughly between 14 and 21 inches and probably some much bigger. The only forage population I know of, are the bluegill that have a tough time eating size 14 flies:hehe:. Now the question is... have any of you flyfishing junkies gone after cats?

#2 ·
I saw a couple of catfish while I was carp fishing one day and I took a few casts at them without success. Never really targeted cats, but I'll bet they would eat a properly presented fly. I know they aren't just scavengers -- they will even chase and eat baitfish. I'm sure they also eat crayfish and nymphs and anything else they can get their mouths on! If you can sight-fish for them it would be fun to try even if they don't hit. It seems like blind-casting for them would be much more difficult because I think you'd need to get the fly right in front of them. Good luck!

Q

#3 ·
A very effective pattern for cats would be the "Oscar Meyer Muddler", tied on a size 6 long shank in beef and pork variants... :chuckle:

Pound for pound, I would imagine cats to rank up there with other strong gamefish. I've hooked large bullheads on ultralight tackle and the fight is always long and enjoyable.

#4 ·
I have caught cats as incidental bycatches while pursuing other species. It hasn't happened often, but the times that they bit left a lasting impression because of their strength.

If I remember correctly, I caught them on conehead wooly buggers and/or small clouser minnows fished just off of the bottom.

Good luck, and let us know what kind of results you get.

#7 ·
Try this...

Hey, try some larger saltwater clouser minnows, anywhere from 4 to 6 inches. The ones I were using the other day were 4 inches long, and the cats were KILLING them. Try some RED/white/chartreuse patterns, and skip them along as deep as you can get them. I had to make my leader about 12 feet to reach bottom, and I was catching cats left and right. I use floating fly line, but if you're gonna fish deep cats one day, prepare an extra spool with sinking line to pop on your rod. I'm sure you can get those clousers pretty far down there with line of less bouyancy... Good luck....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.